Dual Registration - Youth

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Dual Registration - Youth

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:14 pm

kc9901mom wrote:Then why does National allow dual registration?

Some scouts that I have recently met from two different councils are dual registered in two different troops.

Can you prove this? I doubt it. A scout can be in a Troop and a crew though. Your membership Number can only be on one troop roster.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:53 pm

So why are you even discussing dual registration with the district advancement chair? It is not their issue. Or do you mean your troop advancement chair? You can be dual registered with troops. It typically happens when the scout splits the year in different locations. I am not sure if you can do it in the same council.

I have dual registered scouts in my crew. I generally have them do their scout advancement in their troop.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:36 am

One troop and as many crews as you want. My son is registered to my troop, he is also registered to our CO's crew, he is also registered to another crew made up of our chapter's boys that are in OA, and he is registered in a Sea Scout ship.

I sat in on a board of review for an eagle scout that had to switch troops during his senior year because dad took a job in another state. He stayed active in boy scouts by registering with a local troop. However, he completed his eagle project with a crew that was chartered by the same charter organization as his original troop. It was great to see how well his new troop accomodated this and that he was able to get his Eagle with his long time friends.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:22 pm

this is also what my CSC just told me your membership # can only be associated with One troop but as many crews as you want.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ronin718 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:13 am

wagionvigil wrote:
kc9901mom wrote:Then why does National allow dual registration?

Some scouts that I have recently met from two different councils are dual registered in two different troops.

Can you prove this? I doubt it. A scout can be in a Troop and a crew though. Your membership Number can only be on one troop roster.

Actually, that's not true. You can be registered with two troops, but you must designate one as your primary troop for advancement. My son was registered with two troops, one community and one LDS. It might make life a little more fun for the Council Registrar when it's time for the Eagle packet to be processed, but it is doable.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby kwildman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:22 am

Ronin - that is probably an exception and not the rule. I know our council doesnt allow it. Be interesting to see what National's answer is.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:20 am

kwildman wrote:Ronin - that is probably an exception and not the rule. I know our council doesnt allow it. Be interesting to see what National's answer is.

I've seen it several times.
Frequently, boys in my area are registered with their local LDS troop. LDS units do this be default. All the male church members of the appropriate age are registered in the LDS unit regardless of their interest or participation. (I've even seen it done without scout/parent signatures before.)
Sometimes boys find that their local LDS unit does not provide the scouting program they want, so they search out a non-LDS unit that can provide the program they want.
I've seen it many times where a boy will go to his LDS unit on Tuesday, and then the non-LDS unit on Wednesday. When schedules do not overlap, he may do weekend activities with both units.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:04 am

i could see it in this situation with the LDS but never in two Regular troops.
I will ask my registrar
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kc9901mom » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks everyone. I feel that some rules are about to be bent. :)
:idea: I can dual register my children as boy scouts in two troops - the catch is that one of them has to be a LDS troop. :lol: We do have a few LDS Troops in our area.
kc9901mom
Star

Postby FrankJ » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:25 am

So you just going to register your child in LDS troop just to bend a rule? That is going to be useful to whom? :roll:
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:35 am

kc9901mom wrote:Thanks everyone. I feel that some rules are about to be bent. :)
:idea: I can dual register my children as boy scouts in two troops - the catch is that one of them has to be a LDS troop. :lol: We do have a few LDS Troops in our area.

FYI if you think your present troop has rules LDS troops have their own inn addition to BSA and they are permitted to as a regular troop is not. Your sons primary would have to be the LDS and I really do not see that happening. You have a problem and It is not with the BSA.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mrw » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:19 pm

kc9901mom wrote:Thanks everyone. I feel that some rules are about to be bent. :)

I cannot see at all where this would get you, or especially, your boys. Let them be boys and have fun with it. What good is the journey if you get to end end at there was no fun and adventure along the way?
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:39 pm

wagionvigil wrote:....... You have a problem and It is not with the BSA.

And we have a winner!!!

KC - Joining a LDS troop for no reason other than being able to bend a rule is nuts and disrespectful to the LDS. They have their own rules that are in place because of their religion. And I may be wrong on this one, but i believe that females are only allowed to be involved in Cub Scouts in the LDS. I know that is the case in one of my friends unit that is chartered through the LDS.
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Do any of you know what this means: :lol: ?

Not saying there aren't issues here, but clearly this person was not serious about joining an LDS unit.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Mark I have been really biting my tongue
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Can we lock this thread? It is drifting away from the things we should be practicing
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:42 pm

No need to lock it now, IMO. (Any damage that was going to be done... has already been done.)

========================

NOTE: We (the admins) have addressed the root of the problem.

So, we should all be able to get back to the mission: helping... Scouts... advance.

========================

If anybody has something productive (or, at least, back on topic) to add to this thread, please do so.

Otherwise, I will lock it.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby agdparker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:33 pm

kwildman wrote:...And I may be wrong on this one, but i believe that females are only allowed to be involved in Cub Scouts in the LDS. I know that is the case in one of my friends unit that is chartered through the LDS.
This is a common question. Here's the quote from the most recent manual put out from the LDS Church:
The bishopric may appropriately call men or women to serve as Scouting leaders for Primary-age Scouts. Women do not serve as leaders for young men of Aaronic Priesthood age but may chair or serve on Scouting committees.
For reference, Primary-age Scouts are ages 8 - 11 and Aaronic Priesthood ages are 12 - 18.

Hope that helps!
agdparker
Star

Postby ronin718 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:42 am

wagionvigil wrote:FYI if you think your present troop has rules LDS troops have their own inn addition to BSA and they are permitted to as a regular troop is not. Your sons primary would have to be the LDS and I really do not see that happening. You have a problem and It is not with the BSA.

Actually, the LDS unit doesn't have to be the primary. However, you make a fine point about the "rules". I would not recommend anyone trying to dual-register into an LDS unit just to do it. Being LDS, this pains me to admit, but many LDS units are lacking in their Scouting retinue, and it's a rare one that runs anything resembling what non-LDS folks would consider Scouting.

KC, with the issues and feelings you've had regarding units that follow BSA rules, I STRONGLY recommend you stay away from the LDS units. If you think your last two units were bad, you ain't seen nothing yet. And as others have mentioned, you'll have NO involvement other than being a parent in the LDS unit. Stay away... stay VERY far away. :!: :!: :!:
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Previous

Return to Troop Issues