New NYLT: "Patrols" vs. "Crews"

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Patrols vs. "Crews"

Postby kwildman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:38 pm

venture patrols are more commonly seen in LDS units around here. But now more are starting to add Venturing to their program.

The biggest problem is that Scoutmasters do not support Venturing because they see it as taking their boys. Venturing is MORE scouting for active scouts. Some of these confused Scoutmasters try to create a venturing component in their troops to appease these youth. They are not allowed to use the program, uniform, or conduct any venturing activities without a formal charter.

I have boys that are registered with my Troop, my crew, a ship, and one or two other crews. Multiple registrations are a great thing. I have found that it makes for better scouts to have them active in more stuff even if it means that they miss an occasional troop meeting.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby bnelso » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:59 pm

I checked with national and the reply I received back was: " The term “Venture Patrol” for Boy Scout Troops is not being discontinued."
bnelso
First Class

Postby Mrw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:47 am

We had a high adventure patrol for a while that named themselves The Extra Mile Crew.

After getting organized within the troop and going on a couple outings, they morphed into a stand alone Venturing Crew. They are, two years later, an active, co-ed unit. All of the boys have retained their troop memberships, although some are far more active with the Crew than with the Troop. Some of the older boy s seem to have more of a loyalty to the troop though and spend more time energy on troop stuff than crew stuff.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:40 am

Proven fact Scouts that join a real crew are better leaders in their troop. With Venturing being a real part of the jamboree now is the time to make the move
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:20 am

Back in the day, when Venturing was called Explorer Scouts, you had a choice of staying scouts or joining a post, but not both. But now is not back in the day. :)
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 am

You sure about that? If memory serves, I was in a Troop and Post, concurrently.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Re: New NYLT: "Patrols" vs. "Crews"

Postby bnelso » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:24 am

wagionvigil,

I wish you the best. Out here Venturing Crews are mostly in LDS units and are "venturing in name only" because most of the young men in those crews are working on their mission classes and not really venturing crews.

There are not many active non-LDS venturing crews. And we are a pretty big council (45K youth.)

National Jamboree will have minimal effect on us out here in AZ
Last edited by bnelso on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bnelso
First Class

Re: New NYLT: "Patrols" vs. "Crews"

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:05 am

We had a Venturing Summit in April for Northeast Area 4 and had 500 in attendance.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:30 am

RWSmith wrote:You sure about that? If memory serves, I was in a Troop and Post, concurrently.

I do not have personal experience, My information is from late 50s early 60s era SM handbook. I expect even then the rule could have been bent.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:07 pm

FrankJ wrote:
RWSmith wrote:You sure about that? If memory serves, I was in a Troop and Post, concurrently.

I do not have personal experience, My information is from late 50s early 60s era SM handbook. I expect even then the rule could have been bent.

OUCH! -- I may be old, but not that old.

I mean, that's far enough 'back-in-the-day' to have been Wagionvigil's SM. (He was a founding member of Wagion #6, you know?) :mrgreen:
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:13 pm

RWSmith wrote:
FrankJ wrote:

OUCH! -- I may be old, but not that old.

I mean, that's far enough 'back-in-the-day' to have been Wagionvigil's SM. (He was a founding member of Wagion #6, you know?) :mrgreen:

NOT QUITE!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Previous

Return to Troop Issues