"Senior scouts"

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: "Senior scouts"

Postby Fred Johnson » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks everyone. Your responses helped point me in a direction on the question of a "senor scout patrol".

Fred
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby ronin718 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Fred, my troop uses the Senior Patrol method you're asking about, but I don't have time to chat right now. Please send me an email and I'll be happy to answer questions.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby biglou » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:15 pm

wagionvigil wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:"Fred"....Wagion is a huge proponent of the BSA automatically moving scouts at age 14 into Ventures. Cubs 6-10; BS 10-13; Ventures 14-21

We do not form a Senior Patrol..not enough scouts to do that. We have moved our 2 Eagles into JASM positions and they serve as help to the SPL/ASPL since they held those postions. The rest of the troop is split into troops mixed with new and old scouts.

Troops Or Patrols?? :lol: I also think that the scouts that Join Crews end up being better leaders in the troop if they decide to stay. The 17 year old -10 1/2 year old mix is not a good thing anymore.

Jerry, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on the 17 y.o.-10.5 y.o. mix. This works quite well in my Troop. Our Eagle Scout who passed away last year left an impressionable mark on one of our Scouts 2 months before he died. This Scout was getting picked on by other Scouts from other Troops in Camp. Shane stood up for the kid and they bonded. Shane also shared with us about what was going (other Troops picking on my Troops newer Scouts) on and the older boys stood up for the younger ones at the different activities, merit badges, etc. This kid that was picked on still talks about that. We have had pretty good success with the age group mix. I think it is how the program is run at the Troop Level.

I do have one question. What is the "Senior Patrol" method? I know I have heard about the patrol method but not the "Senior Patrol" method.

I still support the Venture move too. I still think Venturing is underserved. My Crew still has a ton of stuff to work on. But things will change there. My Crew is growing and things are getting better. Especially since I am no longer working a boat load of overtime!
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:44 pm

Lou it was in the books several editions ago
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor