Troop Committee Attendees

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Troop Committee Attendees

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:51 am

Who can attend a Troop Committee meeting? Beyond the Committee Members and SM. Specifically, can parents or ASMs attend?

We have the sweetest, gentlest, kindest soul on our committee. Lately, another CM has come down on her a little hard over questions she has, decisions she makes, and choices her Scout has made. Her husband, an ASM, would like to start attending the meetings as an observer. I don't have a Troop Committee Guidebook, and don't know the proper answer. Can someone please quote me chapter and verse one way or the other?

Thanks in advance.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Re: Troop Committee Attendees

Postby Mrw » Mon May 10, 2010 8:42 am

We welcome anyone to ours.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby FieldSports » Mon May 10, 2010 8:47 am

I have not seen any official on it. However, why wouldn't anyone be able to attend? You might not be able to vote (see your by-laws for attendace and voting).

Our leaders attend, parents, youth (sometimes), and usually a few siblings running loose in the area.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby FrankJ » Mon May 10, 2010 9:17 am

The committee rules are whatever the charter org says it is. Since most charter orgs. are only vaguely aware that they have a troop, it comes down to what the committee chair and charter org rep think. I do not think you will find anything official on how can attend or how they should work. In any case committee meeting are not the place for individual discussions on scout. The committee chair should be expected to stop that and keep the meeting focused on bushiness. The same if discussions go from committee decisions to personal.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:27 am

All can attend...only members vote. Remember no secret societies in the BSA. :P
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue May 11, 2010 7:22 am

smtroop168 wrote:All can attend...only members vote. Remember no secret societies in the BSA. :P

This is how our troop works, at the end of the meeting they ask each ASM if they have anything that they would like to share.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby ronin718 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:59 am

I've been attending the committee meetings for the last couple of years. I normally go as the stand-in for my committee-member wife, but we have started going together. It's a great way for ASMs/parents to be aware of what's going on behind the scenes.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:14 pm

The troop I belong to opens the committee meeting to any leader or parent who cares to attend.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu May 13, 2010 8:57 am

The last troop I was a part of operated the Committee usign the official Committee plan laid out by the BSA but also expanded it be a committee of the whole (all parents, and registered adults with the unit).

This worked for them for a very long time until we got a new military family in that had come a very exacting and literal interpretation/operation of every BSA rule, policy and guideline.

Then the unit officailly rewrote the Unit By-laws to add the Committee of the Whole concept and took in some suggestions for the new family as well.

My new Troop wants parents to attend so they are getting "the rest of the story" and info the kids might not be passing along.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri May 14, 2010 8:50 am

We ask that all ASM's be present along with ANY parent that wants to attend. We also want the parents to hear "the whole story", share in the planning, and get them to serve on various "weekend committments." This assures we have enough adult coverage, and we find that it is hard for them to say "NO" in front of the whole committee!! :lol: :lol: We usually have close to 15 at each committee meeting! Also, with the ASM's there, we can easily address each of the patrol needs (each ASM is assigned to a patrol), a hike, a camping trip, or suggestions from the patrol that haven't made it to the every 3 month PLC meetings. The TC meets every month, so communication is faster.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Return to Troop Issues