When the Troop Committee decides not to play nice!

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

When the Troop Committee decides not to play nice!

Postby biglou » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:09 am

OK, I have sort of done it again with the assistance of my Scouts. My Troop's Committee decided not to play nice tonight. :lol: Last year, my Assistant Scoutmasters made the rule for me that I cannot go to a Troop Committee meeting without one of them present. Well, to put it in a nice way, I was set up. (BTW, I usually call the ASMs to remind them about the meeting but I did not this week) A Scout's parent jumped me tonight because I "embarrassed" him in public in front of his friends with one of my famous "Come to Jesus" talks. A "Come to Jesus" talk with me implies that we need to talk about some things. Nothing bad or deregatory. Usually, I ask what is the problem and how we can fix it. This parent also jumped me about another Scout who was going to do an ESLSP at a local cemetery. Well, I told them what this Scout had said he could not get ahold of the caretaker and was told "BS!" by this same parent. BTW, did I mention that he was a former Scoutmaster of my Troop. Getting back to the story, after he started blowing up at me about his son (I can count on one hand how many meetings he has been to in the last 1.5 years) , I told him that he could leave and that I would not be talked to in a demeaning manner. He told me that he would not leave, so I said fine, whatever, and told the Committee that whenever they were ready to talk with me in a civil manner that I would be back and promptly left. In the meantime, I tried to contact the Institutional Head because I knew she was somewhere in the church. I did eventually find her and one of the ASMs showed up and eventually walked back into the Committee Meeting and a civil discussion ensued. They (The Troop Committee) told me that I was not talking with the boys in an appropriate manner which was refuted by the ASM because he has been personally present when I have had to talk with individual scouts ( I never talk to the Scouts without other adults present. I kind of would like to remain a Scoutmaster and Venture Crew Advisor). I was also told that I was talking bad about different Scouts when they haven't showed up for meetings in 6 months or so which was not true (you should have heard what the other Scouts have said and I had to tell them to drop it or they need to fix their attitude towards those boys).

I can go on and on about tonight. I felt like I lost about 1/2 of my butt this evening. The funny things about this is that had one of the other ASMs been present, nothing would have been said. I am starting to think that I need a new Troop Committee that will work with instead of against the current adult leadership in the Troop. The funny thing about it is that the Pastor of the church stated that she had personally seen this happen before with a Troop she was involved with north of my present location. So far this year, we have had 3 Eagle Scouts, 2 completing their final requirements for Eagle Scout, possibly 1 Heroism Award, picked up 3 kids who have never been in Scouts and I can honestly say that my Troop is boy-led. Where is my problem? Maybe it is the Troop Committee or maybe it is me? I don't know what to think at this point.

Just so you know, I am actively recruiting new Committee Members at this point in time. There is one with previous experience as an ASM and the other was in Scouts as a boy. Looks like there is going to be fun in my Troop! LOL
Last edited by biglou on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Re: When the Troop Committee decides not to play nice!

Postby biglou » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:11 am

I forgot to add something. The Scout's parent who jumped me resigned tonight and his son already transferred into another Troop. He also did not complete his application to remain as a Troop Committee member and was dropped earlier in the year because of his failure to do what National asked him nicely to do.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:38 am

You still have a the same pastor? If you do get her to clean house. She knows the program and how it is to operate. Wait I told you that before :lol: SO do it.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby evmori » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:21 am

What wagon said!

When charter time rolls around, you should be the one who handles the rechartering and don't recharter any of the committee. BTW, have they attended training?
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:32 am

evmori wrote:What wagon said!

When charter time rolls around, you should be the one who handles the rechartering and don't recharter any of the committee. BTW, have they attended training?

:lol: :) :twisted: :lol:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:31 am

I cannot comment specifically on Big Lou's problem without knowing both sides of the story. But if the CM & SM do not see eye to eye and cannot resolve their problems, one of them needs to go for the good of the troop. You just cannot run a program with two of the key members on different pages. Sound like the Pastor is willing to be involve which is a good thing. Sorry if I state the obvious.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby biglou » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:32 am

Here is the thing. I upset them two years ago when I refused to sign an Eagle Scout Application. Long story to that. This upset them because it was pointed out to them that they cannot just waive requirements without doing the proper paperwork and getting things approved. Well that did not go over well at all. They wanted to remove me then.

After that happened, things went south. The problem that I have with the Troop Committee is they have no clue as to what the Scouting program is. They have no idea what the 3 aims and methods are, turning in the paperwork for fundraisers, program planning, training the boys, etc. I can go on and on about this. I did not mention that not one of the Troop Committee is trained. They are either too lazy to do it or just will not complete it. There is one exception to the Troop Committee. The fundraising coordinator has been taking the online training as she is able to and is doing an outstanding job! But she is the only bright spot. She is also the only Troop Committee member that engages the boys on an almost weekly basis. She comes in and checks on what is happening whereas we do not see the others except for Troop Committee Meetings.

I might post more about this later. It took me almost 12 hours to calm down after the Troop Committee meeting. I find it quite funny that the ASMs and the TC member are on the same page with the rest of the Scouting movement with me. They were wondering why I was always in a bad mood after coming from the Troop Committee meetings. After they attended, they realized that I was being set up month after month for confrontation with them. If I was not doing my job as Scoutmaster, would I have kids showing up week after week?

BTW Jerry, I am talking with Pastor Marge about this.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby evmori » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:37 am

biglou wrote:Here is the thing. I upset them two years ago when I refused to sign an Eagle Scout Application. Long story to that. This upset them because it was pointed out to them that they cannot just waive requirements without doing the proper paperwork and getting things approved. Well that did not go over well at all. They wanted to remove me then.

After that happened, things went south. The problem that I have with the Troop Committee is they have no clue as to what the Scouting program is. They have no idea what the 3 aims and methods are, turning in the paperwork for fundraisers, program planning, training the boys, etc. I can go on and on about this. I did not mention that not one of the Troop Committee is trained. They are either too lazy to do it or just will not complete it. There is one exception to the Troop Committee. The fundraising coordinator has been taking the online training as she is able to and is doing an outstanding job! But she is the only bright spot. She is also the only Troop Committee member that engages the boys on an almost weekly basis. She comes in and checks on what is happening whereas we do not see the others except for Troop Committee Meetings.

I might post more about this later. It took me almost 12 hours to calm down after the Troop Committee meeting. I find it quite funny that the ASMs and the TC member are on the same page with the rest of the Scouting movement with me. They were wondering why I was always in a bad mood after coming from the Troop Committee meetings. After they attended, they realized that I was being set up month after month for confrontation with them. If I was not doing my job as Scoutmaster, would I have kids showing up week after week?

BTW Jerry, I am talking with Pastor Marge about this.

What a mess! But the upside is it sounds like you could have a CC in the fundraising coordinator! Time to clean house!
Ed Mori
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby biglou » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:15 pm

My evil plan has already started and is in motion!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil: \

As for the fundraising coordinator, she wants to do the Treasurer's job. She is going back to school to be an accountant. She is very interested in the job and makes the current treasurer squirm in her seat at every meeting! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:31 pm

I would let Marge Handle it She just needs to get new people remove the old and start ove. She also needs to say if they do not get trained they are gone. Eeryione on my committee also took SM Fundamentals and the Outdoor weekend. Nedless to say there were no problems.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:12 pm

I have to say that SM fundamentals should be required for at least the heavy hitters on the committee.

And please Lou, I am making no judgment about your job as SM. Sound like you are trying to run a great program.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby jr56 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:48 pm

In my experience, most of the problems I have encountered in my years in scouting involve an untrained Committee, and parents who have no clue what the scouting program is trying to accomplish. Good luck, time to clean house.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:22 pm

I heard tonight that training for primary leaders is going to be mandatory. If that includes more than fast start (or whatever the new name is) YPT, & committee challenge for committee members, I am not sure. I think this has been stated here before.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby biglou » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:01 am

Here's the funny thing. You look at what I ahve done training wise so far. I have attended Section Officer's Training, Lodge Officer's Training, Trainer for the older version of NYLT, been to National Camping School twice for Scoutcraft Director (once in the 90's and most recently in 2006), Fast Start for both Boy Scouts and Venturing, New Leader's essentials X2, Scoutmaster's Fundamentals, the outdoor part for getting the "Trained" patch, am a Trainer for my local council, and completed my Wood Badge. They had the intestinal fortitude to talk to me about how I dealt with the Scouts from my Troop which was refuted twice by a Committee Member and another Assistant Scoutmaster. I have had plenty of training and use it every day whether in Scouts or in my everyday life. Dick (the guy who resigned and yes that is his real name :lol:) is the only one who has completed any sort of training or should I say attended but did not really learn anything. My Troop's Committee has no idea of what the 3 Aims and 8 methods of Scouting are. Training seems to be a taboo word. I look at it like this. If I want a brain surgeon to work on my noggin, I want someone who has been there, studied that and not slept in a Holiday Inn Express.

It seems to me that the current version of the TC wants certain people to be handed certain badges (i.e. their kids). I am sorry, if the kid does not do the work, he does not get the credit. A kid does not show up for Scouts in over a year and a half and many attempts to get him back have been unsuccessful, this tells me that he has already made the decision to leave. I have no problem with that. Not everyone cao be a star athlete and not everyone wants to be a Scout. Right now, there are two Scouts completing their ESLSPs and hopefully will be able to earn the right to be Eagle Scouts and not given the Eagle Scout Badge. I am trying to focus on the positives right now.

I could go on and on. I just appreciate a place to vent and the support I get from everyone here!
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby evmori » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:06 am

Stay the course Lou! It sounds like things are in motion to get this mess cleaned up! Please keep us informed!
Ed Mori
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby biglou » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:17 am

Here is some news. I think we have a replacement for the COR spot. The current one is retiring due to health reasons. He is almost sold and he would be a bonus on the committee. We talked tonight! Also, a third parent is almost convinced about joining. We talked this evening after the ESLSP was done for the night. Things are a changing! YESSIRREEE! LOL
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:34 pm

3 comments:

1. Just because they attend the training does not mean they will change their behavior. Ask them what they hope to solve by their actions.

2. Our Council now requires certain training for "Direct Contact" folks to include the CC or you CANNOT recharter. Plus our Catholic Diocese has imposed even stricter YP training requirement to all persons involved in youth programs. For us that means, if you are registered you must do this training or you're out

3. The IH has the ultimate power to solve this for you. Mine did a couple of years ago.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby biglou » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:27 pm

Like I said, things are going to be changing. We just had 2 boys complete their ESLSP this past week. Both did great jobs. I think the are jealous that the Troop is doing so well. I can remember this happened about 8-10 years ago. The Scoutmaster at that time was popular with the boys. However, the big difference between the former Scoutmaster and me is that I don't favor certain boys and ignore others. Plus there was alot of hazing going on. (I was not involved in the Troop at that time) On average, we have about 15 Scouts attending weekly meetings (the Troop has 22 at this time) registered and this includes during the summer months! We will have probably 6 Eagle Scouts this year which is a tribute to those Boys. All have or will be turning 18 this year. I could go on and on about this but I will not. Things are going well as far as the Scouts are concerned. The boys who just turned 18 are getting more active in the Venture Crew and I see good things coming from the Crew. Plus more parents are starting to see what is going on and are willing to take an active part.

Thus ends my rambling for the day! :lol:
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:49 pm

I have been in the same situation. People with little, or no training thinking they know everything about scouting from A to Z. Hang in there, good luck.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby kc9901mom » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:35 am

I need some advice and I hope some people here can help. I have two sons' in scouting. One crossed over in Feb. of last year and the other one crossed over in Nov. of last year. They originally crossed over into the same Troop. I had issues with the AC that escalated and the CC got involved was rude to me and so my husband and I decided to find another Troop.
We found a different Troop but before we committed my husband and my kids went camping with them and we attended two Troop meetings. I was a Merit Badge Counselor with Troop A and transferred my paperwork to Troop B. I was a Committee Member with Troop A and I did indicate to Troop B's leadership that I wanted to transfer my membership from Troop A to Troop B. This past summer, I attended one of the Summer Camps with 3 ASMs and another Committee Member W(CMW). The CMW and the young ASM had some issues with me regarding Conservation work that we were doing. I was minding my own business and doing my own thing (with permission from the appropriate people at Camp) with regards to the conservation project. Then, another incident happened with a scout that, in my opinion, was blown way out-of-proportion. While I was looking for my son, Scout A decided to talk to me about the Camping Merit Badge (we were talking in an open area where other scouts and Adults were around in plain view). Scout A was expressing his feelings about how the camping merit badge went and what he didn't like. The Conservation Project came up in our conversation when Scouts B and C were walking our direction. Scout C rudely interjected comments about the conservation project so I used the old "this is an A and B conversation so C your way out please" in a calm manner (this wasn't the best decision I made and if I had a do-over or 2nd chance I would have taken a different course of action). Apparently, Scout C went and told on me to the ASM-in-charge who got in my face and told me that I needed to get my tone and problems in check or I could leave and then was ordered to apologize to Scout C (she did not do this in front of other scouts or Adults but she did use a nasty tone with me). I did apologize to Scout C (with another Adult present). The ASM-in-charge told the SM every little detail that happened at camp. The SM - 2 months after camp and without discussing these issues with me first (to get my side of the story)- brought them up at the Troop Committee Meeting and singled me out by name.
Now, this month, I go camping with my kids, the SM, the same ASM from summer camp, another male ASM, and the CMW (the same one from summer camp). I thought the weekend went well. I stayed out of the "boys business" as much as possible like I had been asked to do by the SM at the Troop Committee Meeting. The Monday after the camping trip the ASM (from summer camp) hands me and the CC an envelope with a 2 page letter. The letter states incidents that happened at camp and from her perspective "my constant interference" in my boys' responsibilities to the Troop. She has requested that "my example no longer be a part of the Troop" and that I no longer partake in Troop activities until I can show that I fully understand the meaning of the Scout Oath and Law. She also states incorrectly that I am a selfish example and that I don't interfere when my children are not cooperating (not true - I did tell my children that they needed to participate but I did not do it in a public manner so that they would be singled out among their peers).
My children crossing over from Boy Scouts is the first involvement I have had with Boy Scouts. I understand that it is "boy-led, boy-run". I don't have issues with "stepping back" or telling my kids to go away or go ask your SPL.

I am mad but I'm not stupid.
The SM and the "senior" ASM talked to me and told me not to take the letter personally. How can I not take this letter personally? It is a personal letter about me stating that I am "constantly interfering in all the events" that I attend. She wasn't there for two of the Show-and-Sell dates like me and my kids were. She wasn't at Summer Camp #1 on the day I spent the whole day at camp and accompanying my son to all of his merit badge classes (due to health issues - just had a heart cath. and had high blood pressure the night before and was sent home by the Camp Nurse for the night). And before, y'all tell me - I'm in the process of taking the training even though I'm not a SM or an ASM.
How dare anyone question my integrity and accuse me of not demonstrating the Scout Oath and Law when you/he/she/they don't even know me?
Last edited by kc9901mom on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kc9901mom
Star

Next

Return to Troop Issues