SM Conferences

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

SM Conferences

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:03 am

Our SM informed the adults that in order to keep his employment, pay bills, keep a home and feed his family, he will need to travel a little more this summer. Since we are not meeting over the summer (with the exception of summer camp) until the end August, this is not a major issue.

However, we do have a few Scouts that just requested SM Conferences and the two "New Scout" patrols will be meeting as Patrols to work on the Scout, Tenderfoot, 2nd and 1st Class stuff that will not be covered in the 1st Class/First Yeara program at Summer Camp. Our Chartered Org requires the new scouts to take this at summer camp if they are the younger cross overs or join at 10/11 years of age.

So the question of SM Conferences and requirement signs offs came up at the PLC/Parent Meeting last night (two separate meetings). The SM asked the CC and the acting COR if he had permission to delegate the SM Conferences over the summer to the two designates Senior ASMs. They both said yes. The sign offs will be done only by the SPL, ASPLs and TG (for the New Scout Patrols) or any fo the ASMs present.

Luck me, I am one of the disignated Senior ASMs and have one of the New Scout Patrols. The other Senior ASM and I decided that we would each be the "SM" for the other New Scout Patrol when holding any SM Conferences. This helps the Scout see there is other adult leadership.

So, my question is waht kind of questions does one ask? I can not find a SM Conference question list anywhere.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Re: Sm Conferences

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:24 am

The advancement book that smtroop168 quotes is a must have for any troop

http://www.troop701.com/pdf/Guides/Scoutmaster%20Conference%20Training.pdf
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:54 am

I appreciate the PDF link. That helps a lot. This bolck of instruction was not covered very well in my SM/ASM class back in 2005 and I ahve never been an SM. So this is "new" to me in practical application terms.

I ahve the Advancement book somewhere in my library.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:03 am

I held many SMC's sitting around a camp fire at camp.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:48 pm

Glad to see this SM was thinking ahead. Although not preferable, SMC can be delegated to ASMs. I've seen this in very large troops or ones where their area lot of new kids hitting TF at the same time. Eventually, the boys spread out in their advancement so it's less of an issue.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:06 pm

smtroop168 wrote:Glad to see this SM was thinking ahead.
We all try to look at the application of Scouting's Aims in a practical fashion. We keep asking how can we meet the needs of the boys while still adhering to the Spirit of Scouting. He and CC also designated that we can do SMCs for other ranks in his absence as long as the boy asks one week in advance (so we can prepare).
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:56 pm

ThunderingWind wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:Glad to see this SM was thinking ahead.
We all try to look at the application of Scouting's Aims in a practical fashion. We keep asking how can we meet the needs of the boys while still adhering to the Spirit of Scouting. He and CC also designated that we can do SMCs for other ranks in his absence as long as the boy asks one week in advance (so we can prepare).

We on the Forum do look at things on a practical basis but unfortunately the scenarios we read here have units that don't.

Why do you need a week to prepare for a SMC?
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:20 pm

smtroop168 wrote:Why do you need a week to prepare for a SMC?

I was wondering the same thing !

Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Nuts4Scouts wrote:

Since we are not meeting officially as a Troop, these other Scouts may not be attending the Patrol meetings of the New Scout patrols. So they must call one of us and then we Adults have time to prepare, make sure we have Committee Members to do the BOR and also so we are sure we have two deep leadership.

Besides I want to learn the questions and practice so I come off more prepared than just reading the a list of questions. I have seen too many BORs that were not personal enough (at least for me). Same with the few Eagle Boards I have reviewed.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:53 pm

ThunderingWind wrote:
Nuts4Scouts wrote:

Since we are not meeting officially as a Troop, these other Scouts may not be attending the Patrol meetings of the New Scout patrols. So they must call one of us and then we Adults have time to prepare, make sure we have Committee Members to do the BOR and also so we are sure we have two deep leadership.

Besides I want to learn the questions and practice so I come off more prepared than just reading the a list of questions. I have seen too many BORs that were not personal enough (at least for me). Same with the few Eagle Boards I have reviewed.

I thought you were referring to SMCs not BORs. You don't need 2 deep leadership for SMCs.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:06 pm

Yeah me too Now I am confused :? :? :?
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:09 pm

smtroop168 wrote:I thought you were referring to SMCs not BORs. You don't need 2 deep leadership for SMCs.

Yes, I do mean the SMCs then followed up by the the BORs. Again, since we are not meeting regularly during the summer, we will not have people
around to be YP Safe during these unique SMCs. So we are creating a YP Safe environment to do both the SMC and BOR as needed.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:13 pm

ThunderingWind wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:I thought you were referring to SMCs not BORs. You don't need 2 deep leadership for SMCs.

Yes, I do mean the SMCs then followed up by the the BORs. Again, since we are not meeting regularly during the summer, we will not have people
around to be YP Safe during these unique SMCs. So we are creating a YP Safe environment to do both the SMC and BOR as needed.

Okay..it looked like you switched gears on us as the original post had nothing about BORs mentioned.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:24 pm

smtroop168 wrote:Okay..it looked like you switched gears on us as the original post had nothing about BORs mentioned.

Sorry. The mind is quicker than the fingers.

Yes, I want to be better prepared to do my part at the SMC. The week is just so the adults have time to make sure we provide a YP Safe environment for our
Scouts.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:44 pm

ThunderingWind wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:Okay..it looked like you switched gears on us as the original post had nothing about BORs mentioned.

Sorry. The mind is quicker than the fingers.

Yes, I want to be better prepared to do my part at the SMC. The week is just so the adults have time to make sure we provide a YP Safe environment for our
Scouts.

Don't overthink the SMC. Just have a conversation with the boy. Each one will be different. That's what is cool about doing them.

They say the fingers are the first thing to go. :lol: :lol: :lol:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RWSmith » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:48 pm

smtroop168 wrote:You don't need 2 deep leadership for SMCs.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, here...

If the Scoutmaster's Conference (SMC) is conducted at a Scouting activity (i.e., Troop meeting, Camp-out, Summer Camp, etc.), then Youth Protection (YPT) rules, namely, "No one-one-one contact" still applies. While the SMC should obviously be conducted between one Unit Leader (SM*/ASM) and one Scout at a time, it must still be conducted "in the view of others" and, thus, 2DL would be necessary.

Now, if a SM chooses to conduct the SMC outside the scope of a regular Scouting activity... I.e., Scout "A" turns 18 tomorrow and has to have his SMC today(!), then s/he would be wise to ensure YPT requirements are still met.

(*) The CC has the authority to act as SM, in his/her absence. But, back to the scope of this thread, it is almost always better for the ASM(s) to conduct SMCs in lieu of the SM; and, as long as the SM delegates (not the CC* or COR) that authority to a specific ASM (or, more), then it's completely legit.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:39 am

RWSmith wrote:(*) The CC has the authority to act as SM, in his/her absence. But, back to the scope of this thread, it is almost always better for the ASM(s) to conduct SMCs in lieu of the SM; and, as long as the SM delegates (not the CC* or COR) that authority to a specific ASM (or, more), then it's completely legit.

Our decision was reached by consensus of the "Committee of the Whole." All parents, Committee Members, , CC, COR,the SM and all ASMs work as a group to provide what we hope is our best for the boys.

Our historical operation has been to ask permission to do thigns like this before we execute the plan. This way everyone know the official rules, then alos gets to see how we are working within them to meet the needs of the boys in a timely manner.

Thanks again for all the tips. I have plenty of theory but limited practical application as my Troop experience has been limited and focused to two troops for a total of 14 months due to military moves and taking the time to focus on Venturing when I got to PWC.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:56 am

BTW TW are you ready for this weekend? I was going to try to make ceremonies Saturday night but I have a group climbing until 5 so that is out. Enjoy
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:18 am

after 2nd class rank - we make our boys responsible for getting their BOR done. They must contact at least 3 committee members and coordinate a time for their review. We do this to put the responsibility on them and also so that they have more interaction with other adults in the Troop. We will not grant a SM conference until the BOR is complete.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:34 am

Thouuht the SMC preceeded the BOR.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Next

Return to Troop Issues