Attendance Policy?

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Attendance Policy?

Postby biglou » Thu May 21, 2009 11:57 am

The only reason why I am posting this is because of a discussion I had yesterday with a professional scouter. We were talking about a situation in my Troop. I have a kid with the assistance of his parents that is going to try to completely bypass the process to get his Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project. At this point, this Scout has not completed requirements 2,4,and 6 for Eagle Scout. I would add requirement 1 but he paid his dues. I can count on 2 hands how many Scout meetings he has attended in the last 2 years. Anyhow, the professional told me that we should have an attendance policy that says a scout must attend x number of meetings/outings a year to advance. From everything I have read, I think this person is wrong. As long as you pay your dues, you are considered active. I am almost positive that you cannot have an attendance policy that says a scout must attend x number of meetings. Am I right or wrong? Please let me know.

I could go on about the ESLSP, but I will not unless asked to do so. FYI, I am not the only one that feels this way about him, the entire Scoutmaster staff agree with me on this issue and would not approve his project.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Re: Attendance Policy?

Postby wagionvigil » Thu May 21, 2009 12:02 pm

Attendance is not a requirement and cannot be a requirement.

Use the search engine on here and look around.There have been some very heated and Quite long threads on this issue and we will not start it again. The Boys is active now he must complete his POR and if he fails to do that he does not complete Eagle but if he is not doing the job and is not told so he completes and that is it he has them.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby biglou » Thu May 21, 2009 12:05 pm

That is what I thought. I tried to argue my point but stopped because I knew it was going to be a waste of time. He is right, I am wrong. I just wish I had my advancement guideline book with me.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby biglou » Thu May 21, 2009 12:06 pm

OK, sorry about that, Someone please lock this thread so no one else can comment. I am really sorry, I just wanted to make sure that I was right that you could not have an attendance policy. My bad!
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu May 21, 2009 12:07 pm

If they deny him advancement because of attendance he appeals to council then national and he will win why waste the effort?

Thats OK Dave and I will lock it now
J
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Return to Troop Issues