Troop Bylaws That Violate BSA Policy

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Troop Bylaws That Violate BSA Policy

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:20 pm

Okay everyone...tell us what things your troop or other units you have heard of are doing in direct violation of BSA policy, rules, regulations or publications.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Re: Troop Bylaws That Violate BSA Policy

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:14 am

:lol: You Bit!
OK You must attend 90% (or some other BS Number) of troop activities to be considered Active.
You can only vote for the OA Members if you belong to the OA
You are not eligible to be a andidate because you marched with the School band instead of the troop at community days.
You must have a blue card
No one in this troop will make Eagle before they are 17 (written or unwritten) Usually unwritten but then troop uses other factors to cause this.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:25 am

you must be first class to work on merit badges

you must work on T21 requirements your first year at summer camp
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:27 am

Here is a good one
You must do the requirements for each rank in the order they are in the book.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:42 am

or T21 you can't simultaneously advance in ranks.... can't go from scout to second class or first class.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:54 am

Rule since changed...

But the one I hated was not being allowed to drive my son to/from the meetings because of the COs interpretation & application of the YP rules because I was an ASM with the unit.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:56 am

kwildman wrote:or T21 you can't simultaneously advance in ranks.... can't go from scout to second class or first class.

Actually I would like BSA to go back to this. The Boys retain more IMHO
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:34 am

wagionvigil wrote:
kwildman wrote:or T21 you can't simultaneously advance in ranks.... can't go from scout to second class or first class.

Actually I would like BSA to go back to this. The Boys retain more IMHO

Really depends on the boy and the unit. Active boys and active units will retain this knowledge if it is frequently used...knots, lashings, etc. I like to get them to 1st class as quick as possible but it is important that they actually KNOW the material.
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:52 am

SM developed his own meeting agenda that the SPL "completed" by filling in which patrol would do the room set-up and opening and closing flag ceremonies. The rest was filled in (or if he didn't have time beforehand he'd tell them what to write) with which merit badges we'd be working on at each meeting.

At a recent parents meeting it was revealed that at the BOR's the kids said the part they disliked most about the programs was the meetings. This has since changed. At Monday's meeting they worked as patrols to build a tripod, suspend a water balloon, and build a fire beneath it to pop it. For once the SPL had trouble getting them to settle down for the closing ceremony.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:20 am

Here's a few:

SM's failing scouts at SMCs
BORs retesting and held sporatically
Active % participation to advance
SM is MBC for all MBs
Partials only good for 6 months
You have to have a Blue Card (or whatever document) to start a MB
Can't do your Eagle Project until all MBs are done
If SM doesn't sign Eagle Application, I can deny you a EBOR.
Troops holding badges until next COH
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:00 am

And alot of people are reading this and sayin" We do it that way whats wrong with it?"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ThunderingWind » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:35 pm

wagionvigil wrote:And alot of people are reading this and sayin" We do it that way whats wrong with it?"
Just one more reason the policies, guidelines, Merit Badge requirements, and all other BSA documents need to be written in such a manner that even the SCOTUS bows down at the pile and state "No one can refute what is written here."

Ok, maybe bowing down is a little overboard but it was used to make a point. Since there is so much "personal interpretation" being applied in various units across the US, the BSA documentation needs to be changed such that even the most illiterate individual allowed to become a registered adult has the same understanding as every member of the SCOUTS.

The BSA (top down) needs to change the view of leaders who do change the rules in their units. The BSA needs to openly get rid of them for violating the program. The leaders being recruited now should be taught that they will be removed from the all Scouting (other than role of un-registered parent) if they violate the program.

Of course, mistakes will happen, but clearly violating the rules should never be tolorated.

Yes, I understand the BSA stands to lose some youth and adults if this should ever be implemented. However, if the BSA were to announce the policy shift in a very public manner (taking full page ads out in USA Today, etc....) the public will see that we are trying to provide a quality program to the youth of America.

OK....off my soap box now.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby VenturingL » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Multiple signatures to prove some of the requirements have been met (POR, living scout law, etc.)
Specific # meetings and campouts = leadership time
Must have Golden Acorn/NYLT to run for SPL
SMC is a test (son failed one once because he couldn't remember the acronym for safe swimming)
Retest of MB requirements/rank advancement requirements
Homemade (by troop) forms are required forms to prove leadership, active, etc.
Letters of reference required for Eagle project completion
Complete uniform includes name badge, and coup beads and rope on belt - must be worn to all meetings/SMC/BOR or "not in uniform". (Troop has 3 colors of rope - color signifies how many knots proficiently learned. - while cool, hardly a requirement)
Full uniform including scarf MUST be worn for SMC & BOR (I know most simply expect this, but there was a thread on "neat in appearance" a while back)
Blue cards required (I do think they are a handy tool though)
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby kwildman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:36 pm

ThunderingWind wrote:The BSA (top down) needs to change the view of leaders who do change the rules in their units. The BSA needs to openly get rid of them for violating the program. The leaders being recruited now should be taught that they will be removed from the all Scouting (other than role of un-registered parent) if they violate the program.

University of Scouting had a section last year on how to get rid of volunteers. Very interesting stuff.
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:12 pm

I am told that it won't happen again, but our troop has had two-fer BoR's - two boys sitting in front of three committee members. SM's explanation was that "it was only for Tenderfoot rank" and we needed to get them done that week.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:05 pm

* The SM may amend any rule he decides is for the benefit of the troop.
* Scouts may not count anything toward merit badges until they open the blue card.
* The SM may choose not to hold an announced election because the right number of Scouts is not in attendance. He may choose to have the election on any subsequent week when his favored candidate appears to have the right number of supporters present.
* The ASPL will automatically advance to SPL; only the ASPL will be elected.
* Young Scouts who don't wish to sit under another Scout's authority may be appointed JASMs at age 13, if the SM deems it for the good of the troop.
* A Scout elected as Patrol Leader may be removed before starting if the SM thinks he is unqualified (even though he was allowed to run), as long as it is for the good of the troop.
* The SPL and PLC may not change anything on the upcoming year's calendar, even by unanimous vote, if the SM and ASM deem it for the good of the troop.
* The G2SS is just a guide, and the POLICIES therein need to be balanced with common sense and the good of the troop.
* The Patrol Leader's instructions and cooking assignments may be modified by the SM at any time.

You get the picture.... My boys are transferring to the Seattle Council next Tuesday, to a troop run by an Eagle Scout.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:14 pm

About Time :(
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:26 pm

G2SS is a rigid set of absolute rules that must be interpreted in the most stringent way.

If you are not doing it my way, you certainly wrong & should be kicked out of scouting.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:59 pm

LDS Comments have been spun off to a separate thread.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby deweylure » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:41 am

I am an ASM in the Troop. What amazes me is even though the SM is fully trained he makes up the rules, along with the CC and another ASM.

1. Can not advance to Eagle untill your in High school.
2. No boy will get Eagle without Lifesaving and canoeing MB.
3. Scouts must attend Summer camp.
4. Re tests on BOR.
5. Must attend % of outings.

the list goes on,fortunately we are able to correct some of the rules and not re invent the program,

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Next

Return to Troop Issues