Graduation

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Graduation

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:27 am

I am by no means a Venture expert but I am a data guy so when I hear blanket statements about Ventures "stealing" Boy Scouts, I'd like to know if that's true or just anedotal. :?

What is the percentage of Ventures that come from BS? Dual Registered? Why did they join? Topped out in BS? Any survey data?
What is the percentage of Ventures that were never BS? Why?
What is the percentage of Ventures that are girls? Looks like a few of the Regional Leaders are Girls.
How many Ventures dual path to Eagle? We had one of 143 at this year's Eagle Dinner. His Dad was the Venture Adult leader who was a SM and started a crew with his 2 sons and 2 others.
How many Ventures actually participate in the Venture Advancement program? Or is it just fun stuff to do?
How many Venture crews recharter every year? We seem to have a number of "one and done". I've also read here about the difficulty of some to get the youth engaged at the district level.
How do the issues about Ventures relate to the same arguments that Explorers used to have? Is that program dead because you don't hear much about it anymore.

Again...it would be nice to know the data to be able to discuss validate or refute perceptions.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:42 am

Had a young man from GPC awarded his Eagle and Ranger the Same day. Here we go---------The SM would not allow the Ranger award presented in the same room as the Eagle ceremony so the family had to set up another room in the church for that ceremony. :(
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby biglou » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:47 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Had a young man from GPC awarded his Eagle and Ranger the Same day. Here we go---------The SM would not allow the Ranger award presented in the same room as the Eagle ceremony so the family had to set up another room in the church for that ceremony. :(

That is completely wrong. Whoever this Scoutmaster is should be flogged with a cooked spaghetti noodle! Just kidding. However, this Scoutmaster should be politely informed by the GPC powers that be that the young man earning both the Ranger and Eagle Scout awards deserved better. He wanted to have both awards presented at the same time and his request should have been honored. I am not afraid to say that the Scoutmaster involved did not do the Boy Scout or Venturing programs any service. Someone must have done something to his Wheaties cereal bowl before he ate it and got mad! I cleaned that one up to post if you know what I mean! :lol:
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby FieldSports » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:50 am

wagionvigil wrote:The SM would not allow
:(
:oops: :evil: What happen to boy run? Where were the parents?
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Previous

Return to Troop Issues