do you enforce uniforms?

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

do you enforce uniforms?

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sun May 08, 2005 2:41 pm

I was wondering if your unit enforced wearing the official shirt, pants/shorts, socks, belt, neckerchief, and merit badge sash to every meeting.

we only stress the shirt (unless it's a COH). funny, the one night I remember not wearing the uniform was the night of my second class board of review (I just came from my brothers ball game)
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby BM_Crawford » Sun May 08, 2005 3:30 pm

We stress Shirt and bolo with blue jean or tan pants.
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby optimist » Sun May 08, 2005 6:36 pm

Our Scouts are very good about wearing their uniform. I believe this is because the troop leaders try very hard to provide the proper example.

Unfortunately, only two Scouts have ever had pants and they both recently outgrew them so we are an all shirt crew for now. I think that will also improve given time.
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby Mick Scouter » Sun May 08, 2005 10:30 pm

I think if you wear the full uniform you would understand why you should wear the full and proper uniform. It is a point of pride!
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby Chief J » Mon May 09, 2005 10:40 am

In our Troop all Scouts must wear the shirt and neckerchief. We stress Scout pants, but will allow khaki, green, or brown pants. A couple of Scouts wear the BSA Uniform pants. About 80% of them wear Scout Shorts in the summertime.

When in Class B, our policy is the same with pants/shorts (no jean shorts or athletic shorts or pants), and the T-shirt must be Boy Scout related, or plain. Anything else, and it must be turned inside out.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby commish3 » Mon May 09, 2005 11:05 am

We allow the scout to wear any clothing that is appropriate for the activity and does not violate the values of scouting. We support and reward the wearing of a complete and correct uniform.

We do not have the authority to "allow" for the altering of the official uniform, but we understand that some families are in the process of obtaining a complete uniform and the scout is wearing what parts he currently has obtained. Rather than say it is ok to wear blue jeans or some other material, instead of the official uniform pants or shorts (because that would be altering the uniform) we do not criticize scouts who have not yet gathered the complete uniform, not do we reward them as if they were in a complete uniform.
commish3

Postby t305spl » Mon May 09, 2005 7:25 pm

Our scouts wear complete class A uniform to every meeting(except sash). The only time we accept regular clothing is if they had a sports game. Even then we stress that they bring their uniform and change in the meeting room bathrooms. We understand that people have outgrown their clothing so we allow them to wear regular clothing for one meeting until they get their uniform. The parents of that scout must let us know ahead of time that he will be out of uniform. Probabily once a month we will have one scout out of uniform for one meeting but everyone else is always in full class a. They are very good about wearing their uniform.

Class B is Troop Activity Shirt, Scouting Shirt, or plain shirt, scout shorts, scout socks, and scout belt.

We stress uniforms. They are a main trigger in their minds that they are in scouts and it shows others around we are not just kids we are Boy Scouts.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Mon May 09, 2005 7:37 pm

Excellent
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby diamondbackAPL » Mon May 09, 2005 7:49 pm

that's really great that you can get your troop to do that. some people in our troop do that on their own, but since we leave it as a choice, I don't wear the neckerchief to meetings (maybe I'm just too "modern", but anything around my neck reminds me of a noose)
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby trisket » Mon May 16, 2005 10:57 am

We reward the scout with a “Scout of the Month” award. The scout is able to pick a scout related item bought from the local Service Center store, Camp store or from other sources. (Camp Olmsted knife, flashlight etc.) Uniform inspections are announced, or unannounced. An announced inspection gives us an idea who has a complete uniform. Points are accumulated for a complete uniform or parts of the uniform. Also accumulated by the attendance record and daypack items, (Notebook & pencil, Handbook, Field guide, Personal first aid kit, Practice rope, etc.) The troop also maintains an “experienced” uniform closet.
Scoutmaster
Troop 8
Warren, PA.
trisket
Tenderfoot

Postby Scouting179 » Mon May 16, 2005 2:12 pm

It's a UNIFORM, wearing only the shirt makes a HALF-uniform; not to mention that if you're only having your troop wear the shirt only, you're making it UNuniform.

Wear it properly and completely or not at all.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby Lynda J » Mon May 16, 2005 3:06 pm

We have a couple of boys in our troop that are very low income. They both have shirts but I am not going to make their parent purchase BSA pants at that price they are. Both come with their shirts and clean jeans each week. I watch resale shops for pants or shorts and pick them up when I can.
But I won't exclude or punish a boy because his parents can't afford to spend $100 for a uniform he will wear once a week.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Mon May 16, 2005 4:43 pm

As a troop we follow the policy of full uniform. However, there are times where a scout is not in full uniform. During those instances he does not participate in the opening ceremony. Also, without a full uniform (which includes his book) he can not have a SM conference or a BOR.

I know that uniforms are expenseive. As a troop we started a collection of uniforms from boys as the grew and now recycle.

Ebay has a lot of pants in the $10-15 range.

I have also seen cases where familes state they can not afford uniforms (or other things) but meanwhile they are dressed in the latest styles, have the latest cell phone and other gadgets.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Mon May 16, 2005 6:01 pm

See my reply to your other post, under the topic "Board of review". Lynda is absolutely correct.

Is a full uniform desirable, of course. Is it mandatory, NO.

Your tag line is quite accurate. Try living by it.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby ASM-142 » Mon May 16, 2005 8:43 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:See my reply to your other post, under the topic "Board of review". Lynda is absolutely correct.

Is a full uniform desirable, of course. Is it mandatory, NO.

Your tag line is quite accurate. Try living by it.

I try to live by my tag line as much as possible. At times things are not as clear as they seem. The Boy Scut Handbook states "Wear full uniform for all ceremonial and indoor activities, such as troop meetings, courts of honor, and most other indoor functions". In re-reading this section of the handbook it may not (or may not) be mandatory to wear a uniform but the uniform does allow all boys to have the feeling of equal (e.g., no one's clothes are better then someone else's clothes.)
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Mick Scouter » Mon May 16, 2005 10:57 pm

Uniforms should not be an issue! It is sad to say that it is; however, a scout is a scout and a leader is a leader. Sometimes we must do the right thing!
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby Chief J » Tue May 17, 2005 9:33 am

I know uniforms are a touchy subject with some folks. I do not know that I agree with "We cannot afford uniforms". With the availability of Scout supplies on Ebay and in Thrift Stores, people should be able to find reasonably priced uniform parts.

Even if they choose not to purchase from these sources, if you provide the scouts with fund-raising opportunities to raise the money to buy his uniform then effectively they can earn it.

Remember Uniforms are one of the eight Methods of Scouting:

"Uniform - The uniform makes the Boy Scout troop visible as a force for good and creates a positive youth image in the community. Boy Scouting is an action program, and wearing the uniform is an action that shows each Boy Scout's commitment to the aims and purposes of Scouting. The uniform gives the Boy Scout identity in a world brotherhood of youth who believe in the same ideals. The uniform is practical attire for Boy Scout activities and provides a way for Boy Scouts to wear the badges that show what they have accomplished."

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby SoopaScouta » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:42 pm

My troop is pretty strict about the uniform. A missing piece of the uniform is 5 pushups during uniform inspection. The parts are shirt, patches, pants, neckerchief, slide, and belt; and being late to the meeting is another 15.
"Pain is a sign of weakness leaving the body."

Awesome quote, I can't take credit for it though.
SoopaScouta
Scout

Yikes!

Postby riverwalk » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:41 am

Uniforming that doesn't measure up to the Unit's requirements, during Inspections, should only count in points lost. I would stay away from a push-up requirement, in fun or not. There's only one place for that in the Program that I can think of. :?
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:52 am

We all need to remeber, as stated in other posts, uniforms are not required to participate in scouting to include BORs. Most people will not agree with this, to include myself, but that is the way it is. For a troop to require uniforms this is against National policy. To punish a scout for missing or incomplete uniform this could be considered hazing.
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Next

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies