(Split Post) Camouflage issue, again!

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby ASM-142 » Tue May 10, 2005 10:28 am

JazerNorth wrote:
JazerNorth wrote:For those who need a definition of a Military Uniform, see the following links:
Army ==> http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyreg/l/blar6701.htm
Air Force ==>http://usmilitary.about.com/od/afreg/l/blafi362903.htm
Navy ==> http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navyregs ... s15665.htm

It takes quite a bit of stuff to make someone be in Military Uniform. It is also Illegal (Federal Law) to be in Military Uniform unless you are/were in the Military (see http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorder ... rmwear.htm).

Remember, read the above links before you start ripping this post apart. You will learn more than you want to know about the Military Uniform. Then read the BSA rules regarding wearing Military Uniforms.

You will be surprised!

JazerNorth

I would like to know how many actually read the documents above? You will find that what you are calling a uniform (camo stuff) is not part of the Military uniform. Yes they are part of the Military garb, but not the uniform. READ the documents very carefully. Therefore, you are arguing about whether or not scouts can wear Military Uniform, yet you are talking about camo. This is like arguing about Ice Cream and you really would be talking about potatoes. They both look white, but one is completely different from the other. Both are eaten, yet they are different.

Again, I ask that everyone read the above documents. Camo is NOT part of the Military Uniform. Argue if you must, but only argue if you have read the above documents.

JazerNorth

I did not read all of the articles that you posted above. However, these links are not links to official armed forces links. I do know that the Army has camo which is identified as BDU (Battlefield Dress Uniform).
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Tue May 10, 2005 3:28 pm

A another uniform is the Army Combat Uniform (ACU) effective April 22, 2005.

https://peosoldier.army.mil/index.php?section=faqs

The US Army's position on wearing of uniforms is found at

http://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/uniform/A ... orm%20(ACU)%20Ensemble.doc
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Tue May 10, 2005 3:37 pm

The official Army Regulation on wearing uniforms can be downloaded from http://www.marlowwhite.com/army-uniform ... tions.html
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue May 17, 2005 8:27 am

I actually got a reply from National On This. When used for anything other than working or rough activity it violates the uniform policy and sanctions can be put on units that allow it. ALso Local councils may ban it at all activities.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Buffalo Bill » Wed May 18, 2005 11:57 am

Two cents from a Scoutmaster of a Troop hosted on a military base who is also a retired military officer...

I don't allow my boys to wear camo clothing. Why? Well, why should they? Most of our boys can readily access parental cast-off camo. But as sons of military members (I was an Army brat), we should show respect to the service of our parents by not wearing parts of their uniforms. Only exception made: we wore old BDUs and flight suits, donated by parents, while spending the night at Lost Sea Caverns. The items were discarded immediately after the overnighter prior to breakfast and boarding our bus.

Last December our military hosts were forced to stop directly sponsoring our unit. We are now sponsored by a base private organization. We continue to show our respect and bond with our military hosts by wearing camo neckers. These, of course, have never been part of a uniform, but cut from a bolt of cloth I purchased.

Back to the camo clothing, and why not in our unit. We have two gold stars on the Troop flag for two active Troop leaders lost in battle. Scouting is a game, but Combat is not, Both have a purpose. We can respect the sacrifices made by these folks, and the parents of many of our Scouts, by wearing our uniform items and not their combat items.
Our bond is better served by wearing a small item alluding to, but not imitating, official wear. Yes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery--but not when the lives of our loved ones is concerned.

It works for us. Your mileage may vary.
Bill Britt
Scoutmaster
Troop 509
Hurlburt Field, Florida
Buffalo Bill
First Class

Postby wagionvigil » Wed May 18, 2005 12:17 pm

Thanks Bill!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby cballman » Wed May 18, 2005 2:04 pm

Bill

My hat is off to you and the answer you gave. It has been the most truthful and helpful post that I have seen in the camo line. also it helps to know that your troop has Armed Forces roots. I want to say that I am sorry for the loss of two leaders. but at least they are not forgotten. lets keep the gold bars up and please fly THAT FLAG HIGH.

Thank You and your parents for their support to help keep our country safe.
cballman

Postby hacimsaalk » Fri May 20, 2005 1:32 pm

well, i kinda came in on the end of this, but reading through the first page, i started thinking of a few questions.

what is wrong with wearing camo for capture the flag, or other such games? what about wearing camo just around camp, to work in, play in, ect.? Can a leader be removed if he is caught wearing camo for hunting?

let me sum up what i think you guys are trying to say (correct me if im wrong). you are trying to say that if a scout/scout leader wears camo with the uniform, or if he/she wears camo to an event, then the charter can be pulled.

p.s.-if these questions were answered earlier, i apologize.
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby JazerNorth » Fri May 20, 2005 1:57 pm

Round and round it goes. When do we declare the horse dead?
http://www.jaynorth.net - The home of Scout Tracker
JazerNorth
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Fri May 20, 2005 2:18 pm

Most do not know me. But If I had my way my x troop would wear tye Dye uniforms and Sandals. WOuld you all be so eager to support me? Probably not. BSA has a uniform. There is a standard for Full Uniform/Class A and there is a standard for Activity Uniform/class B we all need to adhere to the standard. Simple, not hard to understand. No variations. Camo is for someone with something to hide in scouting we have nothing to hied and all to put forward. Either we are proud to be a scout or we are not if we are not then we do not belong in the organization. I am locking this camo issue as I started the thread. Come to my camp in camo and I will tell you wehat I think!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Previous

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies