"It's A Kind Of Magic.."

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

"It's A Kind Of Magic.."

Postby Eamonn » Wed May 04, 2005 11:37 am

Trying to get things done for the Jamboree.
Her That Must Be Obeyed has not been feeling up to snuff as of late.
I have somehow managed to end up with a new Scout shirt, one with nothing on it. Which is good as I have about $600 in Scout shirts!!
The problem is that I have never mastered the art of sewing. :oops:
If the truth were to be told, Her That Must Be Obeyed isn't that good a sewer either. She has her own little system, where first she irons the patch on with the stuff that can be used to make hems. It sticks good!! Then once the patch isn't going anywhere she sews it on. Sad thing is once it is on it is never coming off.
I have shirts for every position that I have ever served in. Some are from Wood Badge courses (Lot of shirts there!!) Some are from the last Jamboree and some from the units, district and Council.
So finding a naked shirt was like finding money in a jacket that you haven't worn for a while and didn't know that the cash was there.
I have an older brother, who is older than me by four years. It has been said of my mother that she was cheap. While I'm sure it's not true but I seem to remember never having anything new till I WAS 11 or 12. Everything was a hand me down from my older brother. Now my son is bigger than I am, I am back on the receiving end of the hand me downs. I think that the shirt was bought for him and was never used.
I need at least two shirts for the Jamboree.
National has issued the over-sized Troop numbers, the Council has a Jamboree CSP and the Lodge has gone with a Lodge flap that is in two parts and will cover the entire pocket. I am not a lover of these over-sized Lodge Flaps and Troop numbers, but the Scouts seem to think that they are great. So I am happy that they are happy.
I looked in at our Council Service Center today and tried to remember what knots I needed to buy. As ever I stood there looking at the little boxes feeling very forgetful. Half the boxes were empty and it turns out that some knots will have to be ordered. In the end I came away thinking what the heck I will wear what they have and be done with.
I picked up a new copy of the Insignia Guide. I know I have one in my training box but it is 3 or 4 years old.
Strange thing about the old Insignia Guide is that every-time I read it, which isn't that often I find something new.
I had also decided that one day soon there has to be some information coming out about the 2007 World Jamboree, so I should be ready to go to work on that. For that I will need a Area Committee Shirt.
Looking at the Insignia Guide it says that you can wear both a National Jamboree patch and the World Jamboree Patch can be worn, the National Jamboree patch goes above the right pocket and a world jamboree patch on the pocket. I thought that they both went above the pocket!! And had visions of one ending up under the shirt collar.
I left the book on the coffee table and was surprised when I came in from walking the dog to find my son reading it.
Strange thing about these Guide books is that people only pick them up when they want to be proved right. When the book doesn't go along with what they want they get upset.
OJ, the fruit of my loins has been on my back about wearing silver tabs. He says that he should because he sits on the Council Camping committee, representing the OA. I say that he can, but only to places where he is acting as a member of the camping committee, which is only at the meetings they hold and no one wears a uniform anyway.
Next he started looking for the Lodge Chief patch. There had been a thread about this in another forum. Some of the posters there were right when they said that there is no longer a patch for Lodge Chief.
OJ, is not our Lodge Chief but is going to run later this year. That doesn't mean it is in the bag. He informed me that our present Lodge Chief is wearing the patch and was given it by the Lodge Adviser. I could see that we were not going anywhere and until the time comes or if the time comes the best thing to do was drop it.
I had also picked up a packet of the new badge adhesive, the one that you cut to shape press on and then iron on. Then when you want to remove the patch you can dry clean the shirt or spray it with WD-40. If it works it will be like magic, I can load up on WD-40 fix every little squeak in the house and add and remove patches at will.
Now all I have to do is learn to iron.
If you come to the Jamboree, I will be easy to find. I will be the guy who stinks of WD-40 with a big burn in the back of my shirt.
yiss
Eamonn
NE-Region Area 4 International Scouting Chairman.
Men of power are admired. Men of character are trusted.
Eamonn
Life

Re: "It's A Kind Of Magic.."

Postby Billiken » Wed May 04, 2005 11:44 am

Eamonn wrote:Now all I have to do is learn to iron.
If you come to the Jamboree, I will be easy to find. I will be the guy who stinks of WD-40 with a big burn in the back of my shirt.

LOL! :D

Great/enjoyable post!
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby hops_scout » Wed May 04, 2005 9:46 pm

Good, then I'll be able to find you easily :wink:
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby cballman » Wed May 04, 2005 10:29 pm

WOW a leader who dont know how to uses his resourses. I have a personal seamstress who will sew on any patch on for 50 cents each. so when we teach our leaders we teach "use your resourses" so if you were trained over there on the island :twisted: then maybe we can teach a true yankee something that us southerners know :lol: :lol: :lol:
cballman

Postby Mick Scouter » Wed May 04, 2005 11:31 pm

A lot of resources. I learned to sew and iron when I was in USN boot camp and I use those skills as often as possible.
Mick Scouter
Eagle

This is funny :)

Postby scoutchallenge » Fri May 06, 2005 12:20 pm

I just call my mother. She thinks her grandsons are wonderful and is sewing the patches on all six shirts for the jamboree. I don't think she will be too happy when i tell her that i forgot some. :)
scoutchallenge
First Class

Postby Eamonn » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:50 pm

Hey scoutchallenge,
Do you think Grand-ma would adopt me?
I'm house trained and everything!!
yiss
Eamonn
Eamonn
Life

Postby diamondbackAPL » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:52 pm

my mom taught me and my brother how to sew on our own patches. I do it because she is very busy a lot, and we have a large family, so it's hard for her to make time to do it.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby Eamonn » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:35 pm

Good job Shane.
Pleased to report that my sewing impairment is not hereditary. OJ, my son is good at sewing.
In fact at the prom a few weeks back a Lad from his Troop tore his pants. They went to the mens room where OJ did a repair job.
I'm sure it wasn't a pretty sight!!
But a man's gotta sew what a man's gotta sew.
yiss
Eamonn
Eamonn
Life

Postby diamondbackAPL » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:38 am

you should just get him to sew on your badges.
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby Eamonn » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:26 am

He charges way too much!!
yiss
Eamonn
Eamonn
Life

Postby Lynda J » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:40 am

Our Scout Shop had someone that will sew on patches. I do all of mine and Kevin has to do his. He has put snaps on his rank pocket and then sews snaps on the patch. Said when he makes Eagle he will sew it on the pocket. Does the same thing with position patches. 4 snaps on the sleeve and 4 on the patch. Works great.
Have one boy in our troop that staples his on.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby diamondbackAPL » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:49 am

My assisstant patrol leader patch wasn't on very tight, but I kept messing up when trying to fix it. I actually almost stapled it on, but then I realized that it might be hard to take it off when I get a new job without damageing the shirt.
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby Chief J » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:58 am

Here is a trick I use when it comes to sewing patches on.

I first line them up in the proper place and then attach with a couple of staples. I have found that staples do a much nicer job holding the patch in place then pins.

After sewing in place, use a staple remover to take out the staples. It is real easy if you use the staple remover to straighten out the back portion of the staple before removing them.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:23 pm

Are you and "Lynda J" related? You two are "spocking" the rest of us to death!

You know how many brusied foreheads I've earned from duhing after reading one of you two's great ideas?

Yer killin' me. Both of you. :lol:
RWSmith
Site Admin

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies