boys with "incomplete" uniforms

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby Lynda J » Wed May 04, 2005 6:51 pm

I won't force a parent to go and buy pants or shorts. They can wear jeans as long as they are not torn. But we do expect them to have the shirt and have all the proper patchs on it.
I also watch the resale shops in our area and every time I find any part of the scout uniform I get them. Even when they don't fit Kevin. I found 4 pair of size 14 shorts recently for $3.99 a pair. Got everything they had.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Pants/Shorts

Postby ynotquilt » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:05 am

I wish there were "Hand-me downs" in "larger" sizes. My son is just 11 and a bit on the husky size - huskys don't always work. As he is still growing (unfortunately out as well as up) having to spend around $40 a few times a year for uniform pants or shorts does not fit into our budget. As an ASM, I have not yet invested in these either for myself for the same reason (well, opposite) as I am losing weight right now. My son has always had the full shirt with all patches sewn on, and as far as I know, is the only one to have a merit badge sash even having only been a boy scout for four months - he also already has 4 merit badges. I also wear a complete uniform shirt complete with trained patch and knots. Luckily, our troop is accepting of this as they feel that it is more important for the boy to be there to get the benefit of the program. I think it all depends on the area you are from whether it be affluent, poor, rural or urban
ynotquilt
Star

Uniform Policy

Postby ThunderingWind » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:25 pm

Our troop asks that a family try to have a shirt with the correct patches. Pants are optional.

During non school time, we wear a Troop or Scouting t-shirt (sort of a Class C, with the Scout polo being a class B).

We try to hand down as much as possible.

Most leaders do not have official pants and wear jean or Docker-type pants to our non-woods meetings.

I fully understand the meaning of uniform and the policy and the BSA program. However, I see room for functional interpretation. Example, I wear Docker pants to work and have my Class-A shirt on a hanger and change when I get to the meeting right after work.

Just one persons opinion.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Dockers

Postby riverwalk » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:38 pm

Wow, I haven't thought about them. Remember when Scouters were boycotting them? I don't usually follow any boycotts, so I made sure fellow Scouters didn't see 'em if I had them, haha. But I support the methods to recruit and retain Youth in these programs. :)
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby hisdad » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:59 am

I think official shirt and pants is the correct way to go.

My troop fosters an exchange (downward) of shirts and pants.
The troop's only alternative to "official" pants (no dockers, no similar green) is "proper" fitting neat blue jeans . This is achievable by just about any family.
Some have tailored official clothing for religious conformance. (cutoff & hemmed official shirts & pants and (by extension of the rule) blue jeans).

But, back to original question. That youth has an individual issue. I would treat this as an individual issue. I would be very patient and try to lead this person to their correct understanding of uniform. There are very few things that are NOT reversible. As leaders we should strive our best to reverse any issue, for years if necessary. Before rank of life I would expect full official uniform, else keep working. A scout is loyal & obedient.
(....and thrifty).
hisdad
Tenderfoot

ebay

Postby riverwalk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:05 pm

Hi quilt, we've commented in here before about all the sources for "experienced" shirts. If you watch ebay, you can find adult sizes that might help for a husky Youth person. :)
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby CapXK » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:47 pm

Just to put my 2 cents in as a first-timer. My troop is quite proud to be a "full-uniform" troop. Our SM revels in the compliments that we recieve from other Scouts and Scouters. Having said that, the uniform is only a tool, not a goal. As a ex-military guy I saw way too many people who focused on appearance over performance. Yes, I know that first impressions matter but it is what we are that truly counts - not how our uniform looks. And I am saying that as someone who hates a sloppy uniform, always presses creases into my shirts and pants, burns off loose threads around patches and always, always makes sure its "brass on brass". Now, if we could get a realistic uniform that worked for outings and for meetings I would be a happy man.
CapXK
First Class

Lead by example

Postby Don Flick » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:51 am

My Troop & Pack do not support complete uniforms. When the occasion arises I support full uniforming without becoming confrontational. The rest of the time I choose to lead by example. I wear the complete uniform and others notice. Recently I went to a meeting and one of the scouts came up to me just to show me he had scout socks on. No one told him he had to wear them, he was just following example. :D :D :D
Don Flick
Unit Commissioner
Troop Committee Chair
Pack Committee Member
District Cub Advancement Committee Chair
Wood Badge NE-III-160 Eagle Patrol
Etc.

Remember Scouting in your will.
Don Flick
Scout

Postby momma_bee » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:23 am

Just wondering - how does anyone feel about a lady wearing men's clothing?

There aren't often experienced ladies uniforms on ebay and I have looked at getting boys/men's pants but I wonder (and I wonder this about jeans too)

Can you tell I'm wearing boys pants? :oops:

Does anyone care?

Now, it goes without saying a fellow shouldn't wear a blouse and well, no self-respecting man would wear a pair of ladies pants. Most of the female leaders I see are wearing a man's shirt and for some of us, boys/mens pants fit as well or better.

A bit off the original topic, but I am having a hard time wearing a full uniform when I can't find pants.
momma_bee
Life

How does anyone feel about a lady wearing men's clothing?

Postby Don Flick » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:46 pm

momma_bee wrote:Just wondering - how does anyone feel about a lady wearing men's clothing?

There aren't often experienced ladies uniforms on ebay and I have looked at getting boys/men's pants but I wonder (and I wonder this about jeans too)

Can you tell I'm wearing boys pants? :oops:

Does anyone care?

Even if I could tell, why would I care?

All the pants look the same. They may possibly not be cut the same, but neither are people. If they fit, wear 'em.
Don Flick
Unit Commissioner
Troop Committee Chair
Pack Committee Member
District Cub Advancement Committee Chair
Wood Badge NE-III-160 Eagle Patrol
Etc.

Remember Scouting in your will.
Don Flick
Scout

Postby commish3 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:10 pm

The problem is not scouts in incomplete uniforms. the problem is adult leaders who promote incomplete uniforms as acceptable.

Parents and scouts will acquire uniform parts ...as needed, as afforded, as available, as asked, but mostly as they become motivated to do so.

Motivation is the leaders job, not appeasement. No unit has the right or authority to alter the BSA uniform in any way other than those options allowed by the BSA. promoting partial uniforming is NOT one of those options. It is not the unit's uniform to do with as they choose.
commish3

If the shoe fits....

Postby riverwalk » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:44 pm

wear it, haha. Of course there isn't a problem with choosing male/female shirts or pants. I'm not talking about the yellow blouse for dudes however, but the tan can be for either. I know Scouters that were upset, or teased when they had the wrong button pattern (male/female), but so what? If that's a distraction, then it's undesirable. But the savings one finds in the auctions makes it worth looking. :wink:

Be prepared (ever heard that?) to see some wild patch locations in the auctions however.

My newest Unit just set their policies on Uniforming recently. Like many other Units, our members have the option of official pants or other pants.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby OldGreyBear » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:16 pm

Just to be clear, no unit has the right to alter uniform policies. Yes, I understand thats what you did and most likely no one will ever say anything to you, but you are wrong, no unit committee may decide what is a uniform, BSA already did that
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby ynotquilt » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:03 pm

Well, we just went to the scout shop last week for our son to try on different sizes of the pants with the intention of getting a pair (either new or from ebay) for Christmas. He tried on the largest boys husky size and also sizes in the men's. NONE even came close to fitting. To fit his waist area, the hips and thighs looked like balloons. Quite frankly, they looked absolutely ridiculous. I'm not quite sure where to go from here as I certainly wouldn't buy regular pants for him to wear that looked like that. My husband (who is an eagle) wants me to get him pants that look like the scout pants for the time being until he hopefully grows some more in other directions to better fit into the scout pants.
ynotquilt
Star

Men's or Women's?

Postby riverwalk » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:47 pm

As far as the pants, that's what I eluded to regarding shirts. I've seen wearer's feel funny when they realized it (button pattern). But so what.....wear the pants if they fit you.

Role model proper Uniforming, and do the Inspections, and keep a local "closet" as some members can't manage getting equipped. This will solve most concerns. 8)
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby evmori » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:03 pm

OldGreyBear wrote:Just to be clear, no unit has the right to alter uniform policies. Yes, I understand thats what you did and most likely no one will ever say anything to you, but you are wrong, no unit committee may decide what is a uniform, BSA already did that

How can there be a policy on something that isn't required for membership?
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby commish3 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:18 am

Because the uniform and symbols of the BSA are trade marked property. And as the owners, the BSA can require that their standards be followed whether they are required for membership or not.

The BSA does not say a scout has to have a uniform. They say that the uniform has a purpose, and that by "Personal Committment" all volunteer leaders should promote the "complete and correct wearing of the uniform".

It has NOTHING to do with whether or not it s a requirement for membership.
commish3

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:05 am

So let me get this correct. A uniform is not required But if you wear a uniform it must be complete and official.
Been saying it for years.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby commish3 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:23 pm

More specifically, as leaders we are to wear complete and corret uniforms and not alter the uniform for others.

There is no need to punish a scout who does not have a complete uniform yet, or to make excuses for him to not obtain a complete uniform. Our role is to lead, encourage, and motivate scouts to embrace all the methods of scouting.

Our role is to deliver the BSA's program not change it.
commish3

Postby jk » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:57 am

People need to settle down about the uniform. Yeah "it promotes unity" :roll: Outside of that it is basically useless. The only thing worth buying are the socks. (They are great!)
I got yelled at for wearing Olive drab pants because they are not official scout issue. Now the only way they can get me to wear them is if they were made by Carhartt!
jk

PreviousNext

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies