Split form Quality Unit Uniforms

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby West » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:05 pm

Lynda J wrote:We don't require BSA pants or shorts. Our troop has to many low income kids. To tequire them to spend nearly $40 for a pair of pants thay wear only a few times a month would put to many either out of the troop or in very difficult financial hardship.

The pants are expensive. To help with this we maintain a uniform back (and have people within our CO who regularly check out goodwill and the salvation army for us). We also set up accounts with our popcorn sale. Normaly the unit gets 30%. We have it set up so the unit gets 15% and the scouts get 15%. They are allowed to use this money on anything scouting related. Equipment, trips, etc. But the first use has to be compleating the uniform. After that they can use it to buy a pair of hikeing boots if they want to, as long as they bring in the boots and recipt so we know it's going for scouting equipment.
West
Life

Uniforms

Postby riverwalk » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:23 pm

Is a Uniform "back", like what we call a clothes closet? Some folks hereabouts keep experienced Uniforms, to help others out. I have also used ebay. And there are several local examples where Unit policies determine how much official Uniforming is required (after the minimums).
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby commish3 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:30 pm

And there are several local examples where Unit policies determine how much official Uniforming is required (after the minimums).

I hope what youare refering to are examples of units choosing which uniform options offered and allowed them by the BSA they wish to use.

The uniforms of scouting are determined by the BSA and only those options identified by the BSA may be implemented within a unit.

Cubbing has the fewest options, Venturing the most.
commish3

Re: Uniforms

Postby West » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:35 pm

riverwalk wrote:Is a Uniform "back", like what we call a clothes closet? Some folks hereabouts keep experienced Uniforms, to help others out. I have also used ebay. And there are several local examples where Unit policies determine how much official Uniforming is required (after the minimums).

oops, make that bank
West
Life

Uniforms

Postby riverwalk » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:52 pm

:lol: Thanks West....I had to ask.

And yes to the Uniform requirements, I've always promoted the use of the whole Uniform, without keeping kids out. :)
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby West » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:43 am

For whatever reason neckerchiefs often end up the most expensive peice because people always have to buy them new. I have no idea why they never seem to show up at the thrift stores.
West
Life

Neckerchiefs

Postby riverwalk » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:55 am

:( Hmmm....I just wish more folks used them. I rarely see any worn around here, unless it's a special ceremony thingy. But, I've started getting them in groups I find on the "e-place". :wink:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Re: Neckerchiefs

Postby West » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:28 am

riverwalk wrote::( Hmmm....I just wish more folks used them. I rarely see any worn around here, unless it's a special ceremony thingy. But, I've started getting them in groups I find on the "e-place". :wink:

That's very true. The guys in our troop will often 'forget' them. They havn't yet realized that they could simply vote to go with the rope deals instead, and this is one case where I won't remeind them.
West
Life

Postby optimist » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:17 am

West wrote:For whatever reason neckerchiefs often end up the most expensive peice because people always have to buy them new. I have no idea why they never seem to show up at the thrift stores.

I never thought of it in this way before but you just might be right. Maybe that explains why neckerchiefs tend to be the most unit oriented uniform pieces. If you're going to spend the money, you might as well spend it for something that enhances your uniform and shows your troop's Scout spirit.
optimist
Adv Chair

Spirit

Postby riverwalk » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:59 am

I've seen some Units gain better participation (neckerchiefs) by developing a unique one. Perhaps creating one just for the Troop helps, or one for doing service projects, or campouts, etc....

Being a first aid person, that got his start in Scout first aid.....I like to teach examples of how the neckerchief is used for many things, like first aid. I also use my example of the Scout with a femur Fx (slang for fracture), in two places. I used neckerchiefs and tree limbs on the boy, as we were in the woods during Camp. The "medics" elected to keep him splinted in this manner, rather than re-doing it, and he went all the way into surgery this way.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby don » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:25 pm

This discussion bring up a something that I have never quite understood. When the Boy Scout handbook says that hats and neckerchiefs are optional does this mean that the unit can design their own or does it mean that a unit does not have to wear them? If a neckerchiefs can be designed by a unit can a hat also be designed by a unit, making it a official hat?
don
Star

Postby West » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:38 pm

That would be nice. I hate the hats, they make my ears look gigantic. To be honest I wear one of the old red barrets, it's probably as old as I am.
West
Life

Postby BM_Crawford » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:19 pm

don wrote:This discussion bring up a something that I have never quite understood. When the Boy Scout handbook says that hats and neckerchiefs are optional does this mean that the unit can design their own or does it mean that a unit does not have to wear them? If a neckerchiefs can be designed by a unit can a hat also be designed by a unit, making it a official hat?

I can't be 100% sure but our troop has our own bolos and we made our own hats.
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby commish3 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:41 pm

A troop may elect to wear a neckerchief, or bolo, or no neckwear. The official hats of the BSA uniform are optional wear with a Field Uniform.

A custom neckerchief may be worn however the design is to include specifc elements as stated in the Insignia Guide and is to be approved in advance by the Scout Executive.

Customized unit headwear may be designed by the unit for wear with an activity uniform, (the BSA has no authority on what you wear when out of uniform) and again is to be approved by the local council Scout executive in accordance with the Insignia Guide.
commish3

Postby BM_Crawford » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:41 pm

That makes sense.
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby t305spl » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:14 pm

Yeah, that does make sense.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout