Replacing worn/torn Boy Scout Handbook?

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Replacing worn/torn Boy Scout Handbook?

Postby Trp210ScoutNC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:23 pm

I'm a 3rd year Star Scout in my troop and I want my book replaced cause a couple of Requirement pages are torn off but they're still in my book (But torn APART from it)
How can I replace my book cause all the requirements I had signed off for Tenderfoot, 2nd and 1st Class will be unsigned?
Trp210ScoutNC
Scout

Re: Replacing worn/torn Boy Scout Handbook?

Postby Mrw » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Use clear packing tape and repair your book rather than buying a new one. And then spend that amount on a book cover to protect it better OR keep your book in a Ziplok bag when you are not using it. It will last you forever this way.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby JH-SM-T03 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 pm

Your Troop has to file advancement reports with your council each time you advance and earn merit badges. The record in your book after those reports are filed are for your personal record.

We have had boys loose their books, dropped in water, etc. We merely record the Board of Review dates in a new book of they want the information since we as a troop have a software program with the advancement history of each current and former Scout.

Your Council has the originals of all these reports and our troop should also have a copy in the troop files.
Jim Hunter
SM T803
JH-SM-T03
Second Class

Postby FrankJ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Best to ask either your SM or the advancement chair to see what works best in your troop. They can note in your new book that the requirements have been met. You can keep you old book in a safe place in case there are any questions in the future. You should put your completed merit badge blue cards in the same safe place. All this should never be an issue, but remember that almost every body doing the advancement are volunteers with different levels of commitment. Mistakes happen.

Your Council has the originals of all these reports and our troop should also have a copy in the troop files.

I would not count on the originals "held" by council being anywhere findable. :( I have been told (by the district advancement people) that our council has moved the responsibility of recording advancement in scoutnet to the troops. So if your troop is not doing that it might not be getting done. Please note that every council is its on entity in this area so what my council does might not be the same as yours.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby rkpeck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:00 pm

After a Scout's Board of Review, I typically recommend that he make a photocopy of the pertinent pages at the back of the book (including the signoff by members of the Board of Review) and store the photocopy in a secure place at home.
I agree with the poster about packing tape. The more tape on the book usually means the Scout's had a more rewarding experience in Scouting.

Roger
rkpeck
Second Class

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies