Camo (extension) carried out of the Footwear Thread

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Camo (extension) carried out of the Footwear Thread

Postby WeeWillie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:25 pm

The Woodland BDU has not been retired throughout the Armed Forces. Military personnel still show up with BDUs to attend training at Ft Huachuca. I have also seen the Post Command Sergeant Major nail folks at the PX for wearing mixed uniform and civilian attire.

BSA policy against wearing military uniforms has already been cited as has the United States Code. I have given you two reasons why Scouts should not wear incomplete unifoms. What you do with those reasons is up to you. I didn't allow my son to wear my old BDUs.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:00 pm

If the US government doesn't want its free citizens to wear parts of the uniform, they should not sell it on surplus markets or allow its designs to be sold to civilians.

I support respecting the men & women serving in the armed forces. I don't see wearing the civilian version of a BDU or even an old fatigue jacket as disrespectful as long as you are not trying to imitate a soldier. I do find civilians wearing insignia or parts of the dress uniform distasteful.

I wear an old pair of West German green wool pants hiking. Very versatile & subdued. I only have couple of people recognize them for what they are.

Thanks to all who serve in what ever capacity to enable this kind of disagreement. Its one of the small perks of living in a free country.
Last edited by FrankJ on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby tonkatim » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:22 am

RWSmith wrote:
tonkatim wrote:Join the KoC or the Masons and wear flashy swords if that is what you want.

There thousands of Scouters (myself included) who are also members of one, or even possibly both, of the above organizations, but...

I dare say, certainly not for the [pejorative] reason you referenced. I wear my fraternal regalia for the exact same reasons that I wear my Scout uniform.

Do you mix and match those differing uniforms at your whims? You obviously understand my point and have taken it one step further.
tonkatim
Star

Postby tonkatim » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:42 am

And yes, I apologize for my less than couth statement. It was un-called for.
tonkatim
Star

Postby LSR » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Personally, I don't get hot and bothered by camo. Our Council is in the rural South, so the kids & leaders often look like a Realtree catalog. There's an AF Base nearby and quite a few dads in the guard/reserve as well. Heck, one of my Scouts inherited my 1987 O.D. Green field jacket. Another wore my old Corcoran field boots throughout his JROTC career in h.s. (He never took them camping after he got the shine on 'em!) I do have one absolute rule-rank, unit patches, and quals, etc. have to be cut off of the uniform shirt. Cost is a definite factor. Woodland BDU pants are a dime a dozen these days. I must have seen a million Woodland gore-tex parkas at the last Iditarod (wish mine still fit!)
LSR
Life

Postby ronin718 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:49 am

I may be out in left field on this one, but I believe BSA is applying a common-sense approach to this rule. Individual Scouts out on a campout wearing parts of a BDU outfit (i.e. pants or a coat or a shirt) is not a violation of the no-military-attire rule. Having all boys wearing BDU/military items as part of their regular Scout uniform is a violation. Not sure how this will apply to those units who like to wear berets.

Of course, I have to wonder how this jives with the rule that allows Venturer crews to pick their own uniforms. Maybe one of those "Rule 1, Rule 2 unless superseded by Rule 1" things.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Tooth of Time as cammo long underwear (excuse me, base layer) for sale.

Venturers should not be allowed to choose an uniform that resembles an armed forces uniform (aside from Sea Scouts.) Based on the earlier quoted US code.
Explorer posts are allowed to use uniforms based on what the sponsor org wears. Some of which comes pretty close to an what somebody, unfamiliar with what armed forces wears, would think of as an military uniform. I imagine that a crew with a similar affiliation might do the same.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby deweylure » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:04 am

The SEA Scout Uniform for adult is TAN in color it is explicit that the Boy Scout Patch be worn with it . The youth work uniform is Black pants and a light blue shirt ,the youth dress of a white shirt and black pants along with the hat . There are no patches on it which resemble Navy or Coast Guard .

Yes I have been at a few outing where the general public thought the Scouts were in the Navy . A simple explanation was all it took.

As far as camo goes it should be avoided . Being young men exploring the woods in camo makes a lost person hard to spot . This is just not a uniform issue but a safety issue . Most Cub Scout Camps I work with have the bright colored camp t Shirt why ,So you can spot a scout .

I do agree with the fact that uniforms are not cheap and a scout can tear them up quickly. I my self bought the first generation of Zip off Uniform pants and the first time I wore them I found a burn hole from a campfire ember . I was very disappointed in the quality and design of the uniform .

deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby ismellbacon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:53 am

This is interesting... about the camo part.

Being an infantryman two life times ago (it feels like)... the last thing I want my scouts to feel like is we are pushing them towards the military (I fully support them if they want to, I just don't want to be seen as pushing it).

Anyrate, the scouts recently voted on the background color of their Class B troop tshirts... they want woodland digital camo with white lettering. I think it would look pretty cool, and the scouts came up with it on their own.

Would it be wrong for them to wear camo tshirts with the Troop info on it?

Thanks!
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
Colonial Virginia Council
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby FrankJ » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Since most military uniforms I have seen do not have BSA troop numbers on them, they hardly resemble a military dress. So I don't have a problem with it. Don't wear in the woods during deer season.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ronin718 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:42 pm

FrankJ wrote:Since most military uniforms I have seen do not have BSA troop numbers on them, they hardly resemble a military dress. So I don't have a problem with it. Don't wear in the woods during deer season.

What about Duck season? Rabbit season? Duck season. Rabbit season. :D
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby ismellbacon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Geesh, I guess I shouldn't wear my antler hat either?
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
Colonial Virginia Council
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Previous

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies