Footwear

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Footwear

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:08 am

On one of the other list there is quite a discussion on footwear. The short story is an ACM is having fits because the boys wear Sneakers and driving one of the adults crazy with this. Everyone has told the young lady that the ACM is wrong and just move on. But apparently the ACM will not let it die. Suggestions/ And do any of you have this problem? And on the other hand do any of you require Black or brown leather shoes at all times?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: Footwear

Postby Quailman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Not in my troop. It drives me nuts that a couple of boys wear rubber clogs to meetings, but I've never said anything because we do not have a policy. On campouts, we require closed-toe shoes - no sandals, but that's about it.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:02 pm

Quailman wrote:Not in my troop. It drives me nuts that a couple of boys wear rubber clogs to meetings, but I've never said anything because we do not have a policy. On campouts, we require closed-toe shoes - no sandals, but that's about it.

I wear those rubber clogs all the time. I have even done some 10K hike with them. They are very comfortable.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby Mrw » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Not only do we not have a policy, I would have been the nasty parent if that were always required of my boys at that age. They had cheap dress shoes for church and sneakers for everything else. Plus boots for mud/snow/camping.

The dress shoes would not have lasted long enough if worn other times and the budget did not allow for more shoes.

Last I checked, there were no official uniform shoes anyway.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Ummmm ... no. My son went to the national jamboree. Fairly strict uniforming. People didn't care about shoes other than you had good enough shoes you could walk for miles.

I never really thought about shoes for uniforming before. ... BUT... I just looked at the BSA Boy Scout "Uniform Inspection Sheet". It does have a five point section for shoes. "Shoes. Leather or canvas, neat and clean." I'm not really sure what is "leather" anymore except "rubber clogs" are not leather ... but they are shoes and usually neat and clean. IMHO, the inspection sheet pretty much matches any type of shoe even sandals, open or closed toe.

I'm very proud of some of our scouts who are "thrifty" and wrap duct tape around their shoes as they fall apart or to patch holes.

Personally, I love my closed toe hiking sandals. Really nice to wear as they keep the feet fresh.

I'd be asking the crazy ASM if he could find a higher priority issue.
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby DadScout » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Waigonvigil - Bring out that picture of you wearing the full uniform, including the Offical BSA shoes!

Our Troops only footware requirement is on campouts, Boots or Hikers are required. Otherwise most footware goes. Though flip flops at a CoH would definetly not be received well.
Bill
DadScout
Life

Postby John F. » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:32 pm

We require tennis shoes at our meeting. Only because we meet in a gym. The scouts play in the gym before and after the meeting. Sometimes during the meetings, boys will be boys. On campout any goes except in the winter times, then winter boots.
John Furlong
Asst. Scout Master

Alice: "How long is forever?"
White Rabbit: "Sometimes just a second."
John F.
Star

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:39 pm

We have no specific footwear requirements save that we frown upon flipflops and the like, and like others STRONGLY recommended boots for summer camp, etc. We do have one boy who has size 15 feet so we sort of have to go with whatever his parents can find that will fit. He doesn't quite fill those size 16 desert combat boots but he is getting closer all the time. They've last through 2 summer camps so far.

RR
Boys can save lives when Scouting first saves them.
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby jr56 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Never really gotten down to shoes. I'm happy if they wear a scout shirt.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:04 pm

jr56 wrote:Never really gotten down to shoes. I'm happy if they wear a scout shirt.

:D
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby cdwscout » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:28 pm

We ask for close-toed shoes at all events, unless it's a "water" event like a canoe trip or swim clinic. This is just because we don't want people getting hurt in open-toe shoes. Crocs are fine. Otherwise, as long as you can hike in them without complaining, anything goes :)
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Another out of control adult. :evil:

The only time I make sure the scouts take "proper" footware to Summer Camp for the water. There are the camp rules for going into the Chesapeake Bay designed for safety.

If the "leader" is adversely affecting the advancement of the scout due to footware, he is adding to the requirements and you should use that as an argument to stop the madness. Not a huge issue for Cubs though.

I actually prefer White Leather Shoes that I wore with my Navy uniform for 30 years. Now I wear them with my checked pants, striped shirt and extra wide patterned tie. We call it a "Full Cleveland" :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:12 am

smtroop168 wrote:Another out of control adult. :evil:

The only time I make sure the scouts take "proper" footware to Summer Camp for the water. There are the camp rules for going into the Chesapeake Bay designed for safety.

If the "leader" is adversely affecting the advancement of the scout due to footware, he is adding to the requirements and you should use that as an argument to stop the madness. Not a huge issue for Cubs though.

I actually prefer White Leather Shoes that I wore with my Navy uniform for 30 years. Now I wear them with my checked pants, striped shirt and extra wide patterned tie. We call it a "Full Cleveland" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post a picture LOL
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:12 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Post a picture LOL

I was going to but it has been ruled a violation of the site's decency and YP policy. :P
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby cballman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:40 pm

I will say that if you look at the uniform section of you scout book on page 33 it will tell you what the uniform is. I will quote "The BSA's offical uniform includes a Scout shirt, Scout pants or Scout shorts, Scout belt, Scout socks and shoes or hiking boots." I will say that holy cow batman people need to read their scout books. WOW what a novel idea to read the book that you are supposed to be teaching from. I think that this person should be told this and if they then dont comply ask them to step down. My opinion is that what are we teaching the kids Scout skills or money spending skills? I would rather see a young man at scouts in flip flops or Crocs than not to see him at all. Scouting is fun with a purpose to learn life skills. Not a fashion show. Just my opinion.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:19 pm

cballman wrote:I will say that if you look at the uniform section of you scout book on page 33 it will tell you what the uniform is. I will quote "The BSA's offical uniform includes a Scout shirt, Scout pants or Scout shorts, Scout belt, Scout socks and shoes or hiking boots." I will say that holy cow batman people need to read their scout books. WOW what a novel idea to read the book that you are supposed to be teaching from. I think that this person should be told this and if they then dont comply ask them to step down. My opinion is that what are we teaching the kids Scout skills or money spending skills? I would rather see a young man at scouts in flip flops or Crocs than not to see him at all. Scouting is fun with a purpose to learn life skills. Not a fashion show. Just my opinion.

A few snarky comments as "Devil's Advocate".....

1) What is the BSA definition of "Shoes"?

2) The Grammarian states that per this policy the "Shoes or Hiking Boots" would be official BSA items based on the placement of Scout before "socks and shoes or hiking boots"

Too bad the lawyers and grammarians cannot agree.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:08 pm

BS uniform inspection sheet

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34283.pdf Shoes. Leather or canvas, neat and clean.

For the Cubs: no mention of shoes as part of the uniform:

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/conten ... 65345&_z=z

The parts that make up your Cub Scout uniform are these:

■The Cub Scout shirt, with long or short sleeves
■Cub Scout shorts or trousers
■A cap that shows your rank in Cub Scouting—orange for Tiger Cub, yellow for Wolf Cub Scout, blue for Bear Cub Scout, and plaid for Webelos Scout
■A neckerchief that matches the color of your cap
■A blue belt with a brass buckle
■Official blue socks with orange or gold tops (orange tops for Tiger Cubs; gold or yellow tops for all other ranks)
Because Webelos Scouts are close to becoming Boy Scouts, some Webelos dens choose to wear the tan and olive uniform similar to the one that Boy Scouts wear (tan shirt, olive shorts/slacks, olive socks).

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Cub ... eader.aspx

The Cub male leader unifom doesn't mention shoes either
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby cballman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Now for the answer I was trying to get and a question or two. Who really cares what kind of footwear a child wears to scouts as long as he is there? If you are so inclined to worry that much then maybe that person should purchase shoes for everyone, So then they will have the exact same shoe and they will be happy. When you go on campouts and outings proper footwear must be worn. So lets teach scouting to the young men instead of fashion.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:14 pm

cballman wrote:Now for the answer I was trying to get and a question or two. Who really cares what kind of footwear a child wears to scouts as long as he is there? If you are so inclined to worry that much then maybe that person should purchase shoes for everyone, So then they will have the exact same shoe and they will be happy. When you go on campouts and outings proper footwear must be worn. So lets teach scouting to the young men instead of fashion.

Apparently one ACM who is giving the parents a hard time. Unforunately we are asked to help folks with the "rules" and hopefully provide them with the info they need to flip the question on the "leader". Like your "why do you care?"

The catholic school here decided that all the kids should wear the same shoe. Unfortunately for the kids, they picked an expensive and very uncomfortable one according to the guys that are in my troop that go to the school.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:19 pm

"And on the other hand do any of you require Black or brown leather shoes at all times?

When I was SM I required that they wear mocasins, made from the deer that they killed, using the snare they built, with rope from bark, that they removed with their official BSA pocket knife, after they earned their Totem Chip.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Next

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies