Ear Rings/Plugs, Spikes/Studs, Tattoos, Et al

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Ear Rings/Plugs, Spikes/Studs, Tattoos, Et al

Postby jp2790 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:56 pm

I did a quick search on this message board and did not see any topics pertaining to ear rings. My troop has discussed allowing ear rings with the uniform or not for quite some time now. Originally, the PLC wanted to allow boys to wear simple studs with the uniform, but this was eventually overturned by the SM and committee. Recently, the issue arose again and was approved by the PLC and by the SM, much to the chagrin and protest of the committee.

So my question is: Is there any rules about ear rings with the uniform? If not, what have other troops done as far as allowing or disallowing ear rings?

Thanks!
Last edited by RWSmith on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Renamed Topic; "Sticky" Topic
jp2790
Scout

Re: Ear Rings

Postby Fred Johnson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Wow. That rule seems a bit out there. Is there a maximum hair length rule? No blue jeans? Must wear a belt? Baseball hats must be worn front facing?

IMHO, I'd leave the issue to between the scout and his parents unless the ear rings are rude or styled on a controversial topic. I'd ask about the ear rings out of curiosity and friendship, but absolutely not a boundary issue.
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:24 pm

jp2790 wrote:I did a quick search on this message board and did not see any topics pertaining to ear rings. My troop has discussed allowing ear rings with the uniform or not for quite some time now. Originally, the PLC wanted to allow boys to wear simple studs with the uniform, but this was eventually overturned by the SM and committee. Recently, the issue arose again and was approved by the PLC and by the SM, much to the chagrin and protest of the committee.

So my question is: Is there any rules about ear rings with the uniform? If not, what have other troops done as far as allowing or disallowing ear rings?

Thanks!

Ear rings are neither a uniform or an insignia item so the BSA wouldn't have a policy. Female Leaders and Venture Girls I'm sure wear them. What is the reasoning the TC gives the SM and PLC for their decision. I suppose they could have a no ear ring policy based on the type of activity for safety reasons?? Would you also want to have a no Tattoo policy for scouts? Leaders?

That being said the Troop Committee is responsible for conducting the business of the troop and setting policy. So they can continue to say no if they choose to.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:51 pm

smtroop168 wrote:
jp2790 wrote:I did a quick search on this message board and did not see any topics pertaining to ear rings. My troop has discussed allowing ear rings with the uniform or not for quite some time now. Originally, the PLC wanted to allow boys to wear simple studs with the uniform, but this was eventually overturned by the SM and committee. Recently, the issue arose again and was approved by the PLC and by the SM, much to the chagrin and protest of the committee.

Thanks!

Ear rings are neither a uniform or an insignia item so the BSA wouldn't have a policy. Female Leaders and Venture Girls I'm sure wear them. What is the reasoning the TC gives the SM and PLC for their decision. I suppose they could have a no ear ring policy based on the type of activity for safety reasons?? Would you also want to have a no Tattoo policy for scouts? Leaders?

That being said the Troop Committee is responsible for conducting the business of the troop and setting policy. So they can continue to say no if they choose to.

Until the lawsuit is served
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:34 am

They should be red when worn with the old style shirt. Green with the new style, but not the same shade of green the is worn with the venturing uniform.

This is one that would be interesting to know the back story on. Is the discussion really about ear rings or something else?
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:42 am

IMHO this is not something that a unit should have any say in. If it is a safety issue then yes but that would be up to the instructor of the activity not some SM or committee. I do not allow hoops for climbers Male of female that is a safety issue Studs etc are not.

Oh and BTW I can give you a list of Senior BSA Volunteers that are writing the rules for many of your High adventure activities that have ear rings. SO get over it. Move on it is none of the troops business.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:49 am

there are enough things that drive youth out of scouting without making stupid rules. I know at summer camp i met a youth with those huge holes inserts in his ears and a piercing in his chin. My first judgement was less than favorable but when i talked with the kid he was really sharp.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 am

This is a question of the Troop Committee's authority.

Can they say no? Yes
Should they say no? No
Does the BSA care? Likely not since ear rings are not a uniform or insignia item.

Remember we have a huge number of examples on our forum of troops making up there own rules like failing a scout at a BOR for not wearing scout socks. This one is similar.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby biglou » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:35 pm

How about tattoos? One of my ASM's has several. I know one Scout in a neighboring Troop got one. I have also worked with inner city youth from some major metropolitan areas in PA that had numerous tatts. That could be a fun thing to have a policy on! :lol:
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby Quailman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:20 pm

kwildman wrote:there are enough things that drive youth out of scouting without making stupid rules. I know at summer camp i met a youth with those huge holes inserts in his ears and a piercing in his chin. My first judgement was less than favorable but when i talked with the kid he was really sharp.

When I read jp2790's post about banning earrings, I immediately thought "Why ban earrings? They seem to be so common nowadays, and banning them would heavily cut down on the recruiting pool. Besides, two ASMs in my troop wear earrings." Before I read your post, though I was thinking that I would ban plugs (that's what they're called), but now I realize the folly of that notion. Thank you for straightening me out.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby cballman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:03 am

Stop and think about banning Earrings or anything else. When you get a group of people together you can talk about banning all sorts of things and ideas. I am a little overweight so let ban skinny people. I have somewhat short hair lets ban Long haired kids. I am old and grouchy so lets ban happy people. I am a merit badge counsoler so lets ban MBCs that dont give out partials. I could go on and on but when you stop and think about the people that you could run away and what qualities that they have and offer to the scouts and leaders sometimes we need to draw the line and say NO to stupid rules. We need to offer a great program not teaching that it is ok to discriminate against certian people. As said before as long as there is no safety issues then its ok. Just my three cents worth.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:49 am

cballman wrote:I am a merit badge counsoler

There there....I know the mean old Wagion won't give you a partial. You shouldn't have clipped your carabiner to your nose ring. :lol: :lol: :lol:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby FrankJ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:57 am

smtroop168 wrote:
cballman wrote:I am a merit badge counsoler

There there....I know the mean old Wagion won't give you a partial. You shouldn't have clipped your carabiner to your nose ring. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a perfectly good belay anchor.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:05 am

Several years ago a local business man opened a Cabelas like store on the mountain. He suggested I apply for a part time position because of my "camping,climbing,backpacking knowledge. I went to the interview. The gentleman interviewing me really liked my qualifications etc. he said of course you will need to cut your hair and be clean shaven to work for us? I said J** asked me to apply. And that this was not a problem. the response was M*** is in charge not her dad. so i walked out. Now 10 years later only the hunting and fishing part of the store is operating. They hired very good people for those areas. I asked someone what happened and the response was the people working the camping ETC area did not have a clue. But they were Clean shaven and had short hair. When I walk into an outdoor shop I expect to see long hair, beards, ear rings etc. these are usually the people in the know. We leaders are not here to imprint what we thing is the norm as to fads etc. we are here to help boys become good scouts and good people. If it is not a safety issue it is not a problem unless YOU make it one!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:13 am

We have found who the song "Signs" from 1970 was written about.

The opening line of the song, "And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply",

:P
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby biglou » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Wagion,

I know which store you are talking about and met J**. He is one funny guy. I am not surprised that the store ownership told you that M** is in charge. That was their loss. Plus I don't think that their parent company made the $10 billion goal set back in 2007.

I do agree that when I go to an outdoor outfitter. I expect to see a long-haired, unshaven person or two.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby jp2790 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:14 pm

When I was in the troop, the SM was a stickler for scouts wearing the uniform. If a meeting was class A that meant hiking boots or tennis shoes, scout socks, scout pants, scout belt, class A shirt, and neckerchief. Class A also included your registration card, a pen and a notepad. There are no hair length rules, but jeans are not allowed to be worn with the class A. Under this SM, the ear ring issue arose. Back then there was only one or two scouts who had them. They were outlawed because they were not part of the "official" uniform. I don't really know why the committee was so against scouts wearing simple ear rings.

As far as I have heard about the new situation, their are quite a few scouts with ear rings and the PLC wanted to overturn this rule. I'm assuming this arose form leaders getting on scouts about wearing ear rings at meetings, camp outs, etc. The new SM is good about letting the troop be more "boy lead" and is a little bit more easy going. I would need to look into the TC's reaction and objections to ear rings before I can comment more about that.
jp2790
Scout

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:42 pm

jp2790 wrote:They were outlawed because they were not part of the "official" uniform.

Neither are finger rings, necklaces, or watches. Are any of these banned?
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby jp2790 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:54 pm

No, none of those were outlawed.
jp2790
Scout

Postby ronin718 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Heck, National should not only allow it, they should embrace it. The way they keep coming up with new items to drain our wallets, here's an untapped well!!! Just think of the possibilities...

- Rank insignia
- Totin' Chip
- OA logos
- Patrol insignia

Shall I continue??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Next

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies