Can you wear the Jamboree rockers on your normal uniform?

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Can you wear the Jamboree rockers on your normal uniform?

Postby RWSmith » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:08 pm

FieldSports wrote:Where does one get an "official BSA policy" copy of the "supplement" to the Insignia Guide used above?

I did not find it on the National Site and no one at National knew what I was asking for. (Not surprised) :wink:

The Insignia Guide stated regarding Regional Patch:

This insignia is reserved for regional officers, regional committee members, local council professional Scouters, and national staff with a regional responsibility and is worn on the right sleeve in position 2. Adult regional world and national jamboree contingent staff and leaders may wear the insignia only during their assignment at the jamboree. The same rule applies to specifically designed regional insignia for a national event.

The post above stated it could be worn for six months after. Which is correct?

FieldSports wrote:The link by "rwsmith" is to a nonofficial site, but it says it is from a supplemental BSA document. It does NOT provide the source document.

I was wondering where the source supplemental document is given it contradicts the published information. Does anyone have the BSA document number for this supplemental information?

I have some preliminary info; but, I'd like to first make a call, or two, and post my findings... I'll let you know what I find.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby FrankJ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:13 pm

I have to admit the official site reference is not that clear, actually it is more of implied. But it does say any scout or scouter that attended the Jamboree as a registered participant may wear the patch. I do not have or feel the need to get the insignia guide from which this is supposed to be derived from. I also trust Paul to be very accurate in these matters. More so than the average pro. (If you are a pro, do not feel bad, it is a very tall bar.)

Could we be talking about two different patches? The Jambo patch is worn on your above your right breast pocket.

Field Sports: your reference refers to a patch that is worn on the sleeve where the patrol patch would normally go.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby FieldSports » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:44 pm

RWSmith,

Were you able to get an official copy :?:
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby RWSmith » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:49 pm

Playing phone tag with the guy from the Jamboree Service dept now... he called from his cell phone and left me a message yesterday; but, he'll be on the road all week (back to the Hill, I think). I'm going to try to connect with him this week.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:06 pm

FieldSports wrote:The Insignia Guide stated regarding Regional Patch:

This insignia is reserved for regional officers, regional committee members, local council professional Scouters, and national staff with a regional responsibility and is worn on the right sleeve in position 2. Adult regional world and national jamboree contingent staff and leaders may wear the insignia only during their assignment at the jamboree. The same rule applies to specifically designed regional insignia for a national event.

The post above stated it could be worn for six months after. Which is correct?
That quote is referring specifically to the REGIONAL Patch worn on the right sleeve. It must be removed after 6 months unless you are a regional officer, regional committee member, a local council professional Scouter with a regional responsibility, or a national staff member with a regional responsibility.

The JAMBO Patch (and rockers - which are considered to be part of the patch) may be worn until replaced with a more recent Jambo Patch. Once you have registered for another Jambo, and you receive a patch for that Jambo, you replace the old Jambo Patch with the new one. So if the last Jambo you attended (as a registered participant or staff member) was in 1973, you can and should still wear that patch.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Hawkrod » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:08 pm

I just finished reading this thread and it made me wonder, the Jambo patches above the right pocket are worn by staff and registered participants, youth and adult. My question is about Council VIP's. Each Council had a number of people that were not unit leaders that it extended invitations to for the Jambo. Those people were "registered" and received a different level of particpation. Would these Council people be considered registered participants as invited guests of the Councils? TIA
Hawkrod
Scout

Postby PaulSWolf » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:50 pm

If they paid the national registration fee ($795) and had a job at the Jamboree for the entire Jamboree, they are entitled to wear the Jambo patch.

If they were guests at the Jamboree, then, No.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Previous

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies