New Uniform Problems

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

New Uniform Problems

Postby biglou » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:23 pm

Has anybody had any problems with the new uniforms? I just was folding my uniform today after washing it and have found that the A on BOY SCOUTS of AMERICA is missing. I miss the old version with that embroidered on the patch and am going to e-mail scoutstuff costumer service about it. I like the other features of the shirt minus the flag. Any other problems to note out there?
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Re: New Uniform Problems

Postby Cowboy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:30 pm

not liking the cheap look of the BSA over the pocket either. I still maintain the pocket on the sleeve was ill advised. Hard to sew POR patches on. They also need to add tails back on. nothing worse than a shirt without a tail. The shirt is suppose to be tucked in, but as soon as you bend over the "tail" is out and you look sloppy.
Just my 2 cents.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby Billiken » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Absolutely agree with Cowboy.

I had heard that the front/breast pockets (which I believe are called bellows style) look less than flattering on ladies.
Hopefully, no further explanation is necessary.

I can't figure out what the left sleeve pocket is for.
Yes, it's a serious pain to put a POR patch on.
Our Scouts joke that it's for cigarettes. :lol:
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby biglou » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:13 pm

The left pocket was supposedly the technology pocket. You could put your favorite MP3 player in there. There is a hole on the reverse side of the pocket so you can string the earphones up your arm, over the shoulders, and you could wear them without having any problems. I put my cell phone in it just to see how it would felt but did not like that. You could also put a small GPS unit in there I guess. Not sure what else. As for me I kind of like the pocket but it doesn't matter to me.

I could care less for the bellows pockets on the chest. I do like the velcro closures to them. However, I don't like the bellows pockets and you have to make sure that the right button is sewed on pretty good if you are wearing a dangle patch like the Philmont Arrow Patch.

I do like the cut of the uniform but it would be nice to have tails. I also would like to see the Boy Scouts of America embroidered on the shirt instead of ironed on.

One plus about the new uniform pants. I love them and so do my Scouts! I don't know why but they are just absolutely comfortable to wear. I don't have to fight anyone to get them to wear them. The old ones never fit right. These ones for some odd reason do and I like 'em!
Last edited by biglou on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:08 am

The shirt we should be adapting is the BSA ACtivity SHirt that they have been selling for a few years and are now discontinuing. BTW they are 15.00 on SCout STuff .org Plus Shipping or order through your service center and pay no shipping
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Cowboy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:25 am

I forgot about the bellows pockets on the chest. Mrs. Cowboy still has the old style and intends to wear that until she can't get them any more. The other ladies in our Troop have taken the same position. They are much nicer for sewing on Badges though. Maybe they could eliminate the bellows on the blouses and keep them on the mens/boys?
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:00 am

Our Scout Shop has had these new shirt come in from the "factory" missing letters over the right front pocket.

They are iron-on letters.

Wash and dry the shirt inside out - completely buttoned. Or Air Dry and lightly iron.

I also used a needle tip and put some super glue on the inside of the shirt under the letters.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby biglou » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:13 pm

OK, closer inspection of the shirt revealed that the US Flag is starting to come off. This is ridiculous. I spent well over $80with shipping and handling to get my the new centennial shirt and pants here and I am disappointed. I took a drive to my cousin Sheryn's to have my new uniform pants hemmed and the patches placed on the right spots. I am writing a nice letter to Customer Service at scoutstuff.com to see what they have to say about this. I did notice that the poly-wool had the BOY SCOUTS of AMERICA embroidered above the right pocket. I also cannot be the first person to have this problem. I hope I am not
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Had mine since August Last year, 08 ,and no problems
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby RWSmith » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Billiken wrote:I had heard that the front/breast pockets (which I believe are called bellows style) look less than flattering on ladies. Hopefully, no further explanation is necessary.

Dude,

I can't believe you actually said that -- out loud. Now that's what I call living the 10th point of the Scout Law. :lol:

P.S. I didn't know any of us actually expected the uniform to be flattering on anybody. I guess we need to let National's "VP of Fashion-wear and Design" know to turn up his/her expectations a notch, or two. (Yes, that was sarcasm.) But, hey! I have to give National credit... they are trying. Plus, while the masses may not realize it yet, they are now actually listening... And not just about uniforms. But, that's another topic, for another time.

P.P.S. By the way, there is another new version of the Centennial shirt... Same shirt, just minus the technology pocket. Why? Because National is listening.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby scoutaholic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:34 am

RWSmith wrote:
Billiken wrote:I had heard that the front/breast pockets (which I believe are called bellows style) look less than flattering on ladies. Hopefully, no further explanation is necessary.

Dude,

I can't believe you actually said that -- out loud. Now that's what I call living the 10th point of the Scout Law. :lol:

P.S. I didn't know any of us actually expected the uniform to be flattering on anybody. I guess we need to let National's "VP of Fashion-wear and Design" know to turn up his/her expectations a notch, or two. (Yes, that was sarcasm.) But, hey! I have to give National credit... they are trying. Plus, while the masses may not realize it yet, they are now actually listening... And not just about uniforms. But, that's another topic, for another time.

P.P.S. By the way, there is another new version of the Centennial shirt... Same shirt, just minus the technology pocket. Why? Because National is listening.

I had heard that the new shirts coming out in August 2009 were also going to address the 'less than flattering' bellows pockets for the ladies as well. Oh well, I guess you can't believe everything you hear, even if you hear it on meritbadge.net.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby biglou » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:57 pm

Just got off the phone with National Supply. Apparently, there have been plenty of problems with the lettering on the shirts. From what I was told, they had to destroy a new batch of uniform shirts because of poor quality. I made the suggestion of just going back to the old way and embroidering on the shirt BOY SCOUTS of AMERICA. I also asked if it were possible just to mail me that strip and I could have it sewn on.

Here is the big thing that I liked. Excellent Customer Service from NATIONAL SUPPLY! Kudos to the lady I spoke with at the National Supply Group! She was very pleasant to deal with and was very understanding. I will be more than happy to deal with them again in the future.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Had mine since August Last year, 08 ,and no problems

How can that be??? The BSA didn't start until 1910. :lol: :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby biglou » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Just got the word. I am going to have to send back my shirt. Well, at least it is going to get replaced. I am just disappointed about that.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby ronin718 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:20 am

Am I glad the dear wife insisted that I wait to purchase my new uniforms for the Jambo. We've been directed to have at least one set of the new uniform for the contingent, but I've seen instances of the lettering coming off of the shirts that the "eager beavers" purchased as soon as they came out.

I sure hope they get things done up right by next spring...
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby biglou » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:46 pm

I called National Supply Group and they replaced my shirt fast. I complained on a Sunday night, recieved new shirt the following Wednesday. When I mentioned about putting the Boy Scouts of America patch back on versus the iron on, the CSR was in total agreement with me.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:23 am

We had a fundraiser this weekend and I looked over everyones uniform at the begining of the day: Mine 12 years old. Stained a little, but everything in the right place and still looking sharp. Cowboy Jr. New as of Christmas last year: Flag is fading badly. Another boy also received new for Xmas last year, flag peeling and fading with one letter starting to peel. Mrs. Cowboy, and other Scouts Mom: Both old style, both looking good. All of the moms in our Troop refuse to buy a new uniform due to bellows pockets on the chest.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby Billiken » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:49 am

One of our PL's has a new uniform shirt.
I noticed at our last meeting that the flag was coming off (needs to be re-sewed).
The shirt is not 6 months old.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:56 pm

I haven't lost any letters yet, nor has my son. Last week when I was sewing on my donut-shaped 10th anniversary patch, I finally got around to using my seam ripper to remove that stupid line down the front left pocket. I had removed my son's as soon as I got his shirt so I could sew his rank patch on, but kept forgetting to take care of mine.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:38 pm

Glad to see that National supply is standing by the product (inferior that it is)..as somebody said in an earlier post, if they have to replace enough shirts, maybe something will be done about the quality.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Next

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies