Where in the world is the Boy Scout Uniform made?

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Where in the world is the Boy Scout Uniform made?

Postby biglou » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:10 pm

I recently got an e-mail from on e of my least favorite people. He says that he will not be going to buy a new uniform. Fine and dandy with me. This hit me like a lead balloon a few minutes ago. Where in the world is the BSA uniform made? Is it mainland China or is it Taiwan? Somebody out there has to know exactly where.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Re: Where in the world is the Boy Scout Uniform made?

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:35 am

My Crew really pushed to have a "100% Made In America" equipement and uniform policy in the By Laws. But the National Supply Division refused to support them.

They were getting the language so tight that the ore to make the machine to the make the sweing needle had to be mined in the US, turned into steel in the US at a factory that had only US Citizens or Legal Residents (verified by the BSA no less) employed, all fuels used to power the factory and trucks had to be US Oil, etc........

It pains me that the BSA sells Communist made stuff.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:37 am

OH....to answer the questions....

Made in Taiwan is Taiwan, formerly Formosa.

Made in China is Communist Red China.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:40 am

BTW Taiwan has a geat scout.ing program modled after ours
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:59 am

wagionvigil wrote:BTW Taiwan has a geat scout.ing program modled after ours

Nice to know. However, we are the Boy Scouts of AMERICA, not Boy Scouts of "Made in China."

I am not for 100% isolationism, but groups like the BSA should at least have available for purchase
100% USA products even if they do cost a little more.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:15 pm

My understandimg they bid it out to U.S. vendors and then they are having them made over seas. I agree that it is not correct. I would say have columbia make them but their stuff is all foreign made also.
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby alex gregory » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:35 pm

Virtually ALL boy scouting uniforms, accesories, patches etc. are made in the Peoples Republic of China. PRC as in Tianamen Square and the Red Army opening fire on students and citizens who dared asked for Democracy. But hey, that's the right choice for the Boy Scouts of America as long as I get to pay rock bottom prices for my swag. I guess Boy Scouts of America has decided that cheap is more important than promoting the actual ideals of Scouting.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Everyone take one step back and consider this.I am more than willing to have everything made here. ANd it seems that you are all willing to so the same. ARE your parents? Think about the increase in cost. ARE you willing to push 100.00 pants and 75.00 shirts? I doubt it.
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby kwildman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:21 pm

We will be seeing more and more Chinese stuff in the years to come... trade deficits are the price we pay for China buying all of our debt.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby alex gregory » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:47 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Everyone take one step back and consider this.I am more than willing to have everything made here. ANd it seems that you are all willing to so the same. ARE your parents? Think about the increase in cost. ARE you willing to push 100.00 pants and 75.00 shirts? I doubt it.

A 10-second search of Apparel and Made in the USA led me to http://www.unionlabel.com/tshirts.html.

Surprise, surprise! There are still tax-paying Americans with union jobs making clothes in the USA for competitive prices.

The Carhartts I'm sitting in right now are better quality then BSA uniform pants, and cost the same or less. I realize Carhartt has assembly plants in Mexico, but that's still a whole lot better than PRC.

If BSA had a policy that favored Buy American - no sweatshops - and no manufacturing outside of WOS countries, then you bet there would be vendors lining up and offering competitive prices.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:51 pm

alex gregory wrote:If BSA had a policy that favored Buy American - no sweatshops - and no manufacturing outside of WOS countries, then you bet there would be vendors lining up and offering competitive prices.

Got my vote. I think I could get my "We want to sue the National BSA" kids on board.
Last edited by ThunderingWind on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby biglou » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Sorry to open the can of worms. I was hoping that they were made in Taiwan vs. China. I would not mind Carhart uniforms. The Carhart's that i have certainly can take a beating!
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies