Merit Badge Sashes

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Merit Badge Sashes

Postby Cowboy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:20 pm

I like reading old (even locked) threads. In going through I have seen many times a complaint about sashes, and even the official BSA documentation mentions it, so here we go:
Sashes are difficult to wear because they keep sliding down. In our Troop the properly uniformed boys DO wear the sash to most Troop meetings. In fact we consider proper full uniform to include the sash. Our advancement ladies like it because it provides a quick easy reference for them. Our guests (like the Cubs and Weeblos) see something pretty impressive and get excited about it. Our boys do not have a problem with the sash falling off. Here are two tricks: 1. Sew a small loop about the size of the shoulder loop, or even an old shoulder loop, on the inside of the sash. The shoulder strap goes through it and holds the sash up. 2. Use velcro. I just switched my sons uniform to this. On the bottom of the green shoulder loop sew (or use the hot glue type) a piece of velcro. This can be spun so that it does not show when a sash is not being worn. On the inside of the sash sew the matching piece of velcro. Now you can also add a piece of velco to the OA sash and that one stays where it belongs too. Not a big deal to do, not rocket science, but by goodness our boys are turned out. I am sure someone else has figured this out before me, but everyone in the Troop thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Cowboy
Eagle

Re: Merit Badge Sashes

Postby kwildman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Cowboy wrote:I like reading old (even locked) threads. In going through I have seen many times a complaint about sashes, and even the official BSA documentation mentions it, so here we go:
Sashes are difficult to wear because they keep sliding down. In our Troop the properly uniformed boys DO wear the sash to most Troop meetings. In fact we consider proper full uniform to include the sash. Our advancement ladies like it because it provides a quick easy reference for them. Our guests (like the Cubs and Weeblos) see something pretty impressive and get excited about it. Our boys do not have a problem with the sash falling off. Here are two tricks: 1. Sew a small loop about the size of the shoulder loop, or even an old shoulder loop, on the inside of the sash. The shoulder strap goes through it and holds the sash up. 2. Use velcro. I just switched my sons uniform to this. On the bottom of the green shoulder loop sew (or use the hot glue type) a piece of velcro. This can be spun so that it does not show when a sash is not being worn. On the inside of the sash sew the matching piece of velcro. Now you can also add a piece of velco to the OA sash and that one stays where it belongs too. Not a big deal to do, not rocket science, but by goodness our boys are turned out. I am sure someone else has figured this out before me, but everyone in the Troop thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Cowboy - do what your unit likes cuz i am not part of the Uniform police but ... technically Merit Badge sashes are supposed to be worn only at formal events such as Courts of honor, banquets, etc. OA sashes only at OA events or when representing the chapter on OA business.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby FieldSports » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:57 pm

3. Sew a button hole into the sash. (Never mind, hard enough to get him to sew patches on) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although I like the use an old shoulder loop. :D
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby ccjj » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:51 am

Here is a unique question....what would you do if a boy was going for his Eagle project review (thru the district) and the DAC says he must have his merit badge sash and be able to tell what the merit badges are? I have a young man in my troop who chose not to purchase a sash. His badges are neatly displayed in a book, along with the cards and his portion of the green sheet/blue card.

ccjj
ccjj
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:03 am

I would ask where does it say that a sash is required. Since a Uniform is not required a sash cannot be required. Nice but not required.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:22 am

The "official uniform" is socks, pants, belt, & shirt'. So the MB sash is not part of the official uniform anyway. Being able to identify which merit badge emblem is which is not even a merit badge requirement.

If a real DAC said this, I would tell him that he had been drinking way too much Koolaide.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:21 pm

ccjj wrote:Here is a unique question....what would you do if a boy was going for his Eagle project review (thru the district) and the DAC says he must have his merit badge sash and be able to tell what the merit badges are? I have a young man in my troop who chose not to purchase a sash. His badges are neatly displayed in a book, along with the cards and his portion of the green sheet/blue card.

The DAC is wrong.

The "required" argument aside, I do wonder about the scout who does not want to show off his accomplishments on a sash. Displaying his accomplishments publically does more for the younger scouts and the community who sees them than keeping them under lock and key. He can do this when he turns 18.

Given the description of the "official Uniform", does he wear his rank badge? His OA flap? His POR patch? Will he wear his Eagle Medal or keep it in a box as well?

Sometimes I wonder if required even means required given the wide interpretations we see on the forum. :?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:25 pm

I have heard that during a EBOR a scout was asked what does the color red in your Orienteering MB stand for.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:30 pm

lifescoutforlife wrote:I have heard that during a EBOR a scout was asked what does the color red in your Orienteering MB stand for.

:evil:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:52 pm

lifescoutforlife wrote:I have heard that during a EBOR a scout was asked what does the color red in your Orienteering MB stand for.

I see nothing wrong with asking questions like that. If the scout was turned down just because he did not know the answer would be a different issue.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Quailman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:34 pm

I agree. You can ask something like that, but don't hold it against him. I've seen a list of BOR questions (to aid the committee member) that included "Where did Baden-Powell take the scouts on the first Boy Scout campout?" Luckily for the committee member, the answer was provided.

As for the original question, I sewed a loop of string on the underside of my son's sash, about an inch in. It loops onto the button and keeps the sash in place fairly well.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Not to get off the original topic, and maybe we can split this off into a "what's the craziest question ever heard at an EBOR?"

Mine is "who is the mean guy who won't give partials for Climbing MB at Laurel Caverns?" :lol: :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:56 pm

:lol: Guilty
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ronin718 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Boy, remind me to watch out for this guy when we make our trip there next fall. :lol:
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:03 pm

ronin718 wrote:Boy, remind me to watch out for this guy when we make our trip there next fall. :lol:

Give me dates
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby WeeWillie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:57 pm

Don't forget your Blue Cards!
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:42 am

W.V. don't need no stinking Blue Cards!! :lol:
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Cowboy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:37 pm

Don't get me wrong: When I say full proper uniform, it is not that the boys get sent home or are held back from advancement for not wearing it. It is requested and for the most part the boys do wear them. I do find it funny that often the same people who think and vociferously defend the requirement that the boy receive his rank or MB before the ink dries, don't think that it is important for them to display the same MB all of the time. Like I said, we do not "require" it, but it is suggested to be in proper full uniform. In our Troop it is another one of those status symbols: As soon as the boy gets his first MB (usually about a month after Crossover due to our MB Clinic timing) they run out to get a sash to put it on. As far as the OA sash in my OP, I did not mean to indicate that they were to be worn together, simply that you can add the velcro to that sash and keep it up also. My son has not been able to do his Ordeal (?) yet, though he was tapped out last summer, so I know nothing about the OA other than that the sashes are never to be worn at the same time.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby alex gregory » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:24 pm

What's a "merit badge sash"? I thought they were called brag-rags. :lol:

If the guys like wearing sashes to every troop meeting probably not a big deal - far be it from me to tell a scout to take off his merit badge sash. If you're not careful you'll be telling the guys to brush their hair and dig through the laundry hamper or under te bed for the missing pants and socks! I think it makes more sense to have "full-dress" uniform events when the boys wear the sashes. Weekly troop meetings don't quite seem to rise to the occassion.

Remember how nasty the first 6 badges on your sleeve used to get? I had to replace mine after I got in trouble for wiping my greasy fingers (or was it my pocket knife) on my sleeve.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:47 pm

#1 was so excited to show his off that he got the BIG one when he had only two badges. It hung almost to his knees.

IMHO, it sort of loses the "shock value" ;-) when they're worn every week. It's become a tradition here that the boys wear them to merit badge clinics. Great to see the Scouts talking about those they've earned, and talking to others who have ones they don't.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Next

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies