No More Venture Belts

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

No More Venture Belts

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:04 pm

My son recently finished 8th grade and now part of the Crew.

So, today, I went on-line to order his uniform.

No belts are available for Crews. Clearly marked NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

Does this mean there are new pants coming on-line that have a built in belt? Or are so many Crew opting out of the uniform that national is no longer going to offer have uniforms manufactured for Crews?

How is one to be in full uniform (as a camp staff, or at other events that state full uniform required) when the
National is no longer selling them?
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Re: No More Venture Belts

Postby deweylure » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:54 am

If the new pants are like the first generation switch backs the belt is built in

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:31 am

deweylure wrote:If the new pants are like the first generation switch backs the belt is built in

The new pants are for Boy Scouts, not Venture Crews
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:37 pm

One be a comin :lol:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:41 pm

Even with the Switchback pants, the "built in" belt is not permanent, and can easily be removed and a regular belt used in it's place.

Perhaps National Supply has a new Venturing (Venture is part of a Boy Scout Troop) belt coming down the pike along with Venturing switchbacks.

BTW - Since Venturing Crews pick their own uniform, what ever they decide on IS their full uniform. I doubt your son will be kicked off of Summer Camp staff because of an unofficial belt.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby mt_goodrich » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:45 pm

I purchased the belt/buckle combo for you this morning....$7.00 (I had a discount).

Tell me where to send it.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Point of Fact Venturing is NOT part of a Troop. A Venture Patrol may be, but Venturing is a separate unit called a crew. Members of a Venture Patrol are NOT permitted to wear any Ventruring Items. They MUST wear Boy Scout Uniforms! They also cannot do any activities that are Marked Venturing Only
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:58 pm

mt_goodrich wrote:I purchased the belt/buckle combo for you this morning....$7.00 (I had a discount).

Tell me where to send it.

THANK YOU.

Ed Bloom
140 Amherst Road
Johnstown, PA 15905
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Nuts4Scouts wrote:BTW - Since Venturing Crews pick their own uniform, what ever they decide on IS their full uniform. I doubt your son will be kicked off of Summer Camp staff because of an unofficial belt.

Not at the 4 camps (representing three Councils) I have been involved with. If you are hired you wear either the full Boy Scout uniform with District Silver loops or the full Venture uniform with the silver loops. Two of the camps prefered that if you were a girl that you wore the Crew uniform. Both of these councils/camps have a camp staff Crew to register these non scouting staff members and thus they wear the Crew uniform.

Yes, Crews as individual Crews may elect to not use the official BSA Venture uniform. But Councils/Camps, VOA, TLCs etc can also mandate it be required for certain events. One such event is going Monday night here in Johnstown, PA. The opening ceremony for the AAABA national tournement requires all Venture Crew members participating in the flag ceremony be in an Official BSA Venture Crew shirt.

Anyway, I was surpirsed to see the belts listed as NLA and nothing else posted anywhere regarding the future of the Crew Uniform.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:17 pm

ALso remember those serving on Staff for the NJ must wear the Venturing Dress Uniform.
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby FieldSports » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:28 pm

What is a "Dress" uniform? :?:
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:33 pm

OK! Field Uniform. Just making a Point!
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:05 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Point of Fact Venturing is NOT part of a Troop.

Which is why I stated "Ventur ing and -

(Venture is part of a Boy Scout Troop)

The OP is asking for VENTURE belts.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:12 pm

Nuts4Scouts wrote:[The OP is asking for VENTURE belts.

OK. I used the wrong word.

I thought the users on this forum would understand to which item I was refering.

I am sorry to have caused so much confusion.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:18 pm

FieldSports wrote:What is a "Dress" uniform? :?:

I like the idea of a "Dress" uniform. For the Crews: a nice summer weight wool grey pants, light wool, two button green blazer. Mini-sized medals to wear on the pocket, white shirt, grey silk tie with the FDL and Venturing Program Symbol woven in but using same color grey. Black shoes and socks. Knee length skirt with blouse and neckerchief for the ladies.

I still think the Scout Blue blazer we have now should be required wear from District and above COH's and recognition dinners with mini-medals on the pocket.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:32 pm

Dress uniform is what the BSA uniform has become. Most troops only wear it for Formal Occasions. That is one reason the Uniform is being changed to IMHO a working uniform. If troops start wearing it for Meetings,Camporees etc then it will not be a dress uniform any more but a Field Uniform. I can remember wearing my uniform to camporees where we hiked for two days on the Mason Dixon Line. Can you imagine the scouts doing that today? They might get their Dress uniform Dirty. :lol:
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby mt_goodrich » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:18 am

The interesting thing is that back "in the day", I would do the same thing....wear my shirt for two or three days straight camping/hiking and get it dirty and sweaty.

I'd get home and my Mom could get it clean and you'd never know what it has been thru.

These days, I get my shirt dirty and I have the stain set in. I guess I could always point to the different stains and tell the story of where it came from. :)
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:44 pm

mt_goodrich wrote:The interesting thing is that back "in the day", I would do the same thing....wear my shirt for two or three days straight camping/hiking and get it dirty and sweaty.

I'd get home and my Mom could get it clean and you'd never know what it has been thru.

These days, I get my shirt dirty and I have the stain set in. I guess I could always point to the different stains and tell the story of where it came from. :)

And it really should be this way today. The BSA needs to step up and make some of these items and issues "mandatory or you do not participate."

Will it keep some kids and adults out, Yes, but it show that there is a clearly defined line.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:21 pm

BSA should be inclusive and not exclusive. If you deal with scouts in the inner city or in rural areas things like "official" pants, belts, socks, etc. are optional. It is a lot of money to dress a kid out in a complete uniform. I would not want to tell a scout he cant participate in an event because his family cant afford a complete uniform.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:58 pm

kwildman wrote:BSA should be inclusive and not exclusive. If you deal with scouts in the inner city or in rural areas things like "official" pants, belts, socks, etc. are optional. It is a lot of money to dress a kid out in a complete uniform. I would not want to tell a scout he cant participate in an event because his family cant afford a complete uniform.

Understood and actually I agree. there are areas of the country that this is an issue.

I am having difficulty with the formal statement that the one method of scouting is the uniform. The language used is such that it makes it seem required (My opinion here). But there is no language to enforce it.

So, remove the uniform as a methode of Scouting and move on. But it is here to stay, then make it mandatory.

And in my opion if they would leave the uniform alone, National could come up with a less expensive supplier. I did not say cheap as cheap means something totally different than less expensive. I also believe that those youth who are in a situation that make purchasing a uniform difficult need to be provided an opportunity to earn it. Gather them and take them to the Council Camp and have them paint, weed, spread mulch on the paths, etc...

Push the entire Scouting community to donate gently used uniforms.

Talk with local businesses and tell them "Hey, look, we have got 100 kids that need official shoulder loops. They retail for $1.95 and pair. Our cost is $x.xx a pair. Would you please pay for 100 pair at $y.yy (y.yy is > x.xx & < $1.95)?" Or can you sponsor 50 kids? Move on to the next business or even ask the Charter Organization to sponsor shoulder loops and council strips. Ask other larger businesses for a segemt of shirts, pants etc........

Yes, some of these businesses are the same ones the Council is getting other donations from, but look outside the normal donatin base. Go to the local hair salon for 50 shoulder loops, the local barber shop for the other 50, ask 5 machine shops to pool thier money to cover 25 hats, ask 10 used car dealerships to cover all shoulder strips,
there list goes on.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Next

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies