Scout Pants

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Would you Like Convertible Pants ?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes : 50

Postby commish3 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:16 pm

Just let those that prefer these to wear them if they want and only if it's approved within the troop, which our troop btw would allow.

And there in lies the rub. BSA's Insignia Guide 2005, says that no one other than the National Executive Board has the authority to alter the uniform. So what a troop would "allow" really has no bearing on the matter.

At the tp of the first page of the Insignia Guide is a paragraph that should be shared with every parent and adult leader in every unit. It is entitled "Personal Committmemnt"

I will share the last paragraph and invite everyone to get a copy of the manual and read the first paragraph for it is very meaningful.

The last paragraph is as follows (the bold highlight was added by me.)

...The leaders of Scouting - both volunteer and professional - promote the wearing of the correct complete uniform on all suitable occassions.

The use of the uniform method of scouting is not about cost or fit...it is about "personal committment".

A person who does not yet have a complete uniform does not require the blessing of the troop to not wear what he does not have.

A person with a complete uniform has no need for the "troop" to give him an excuse to not wear it correctly.

How about instead of a unit altering what the uniform is, they put their effort into encouraging and aiding the scouts to obtain and wear a complete and correct uniform as is expected of them as leaders?

Something to consider...

Happy Holidays!
[/quote]
commish3

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:59 am

Again I will state my 2 cents that there is not a parent aliver that would dream of allowing their little basketball star or soccer star play with oput the proper uniform BUT YET will complain about and not buy the proper BSA uniform that in my own mine the youth gets alot more for their money in the end.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby cballman » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:19 pm

also on the uniform issue is that how can national or anyone dictate on how to wear the uniform SINCE IT IS NOT REQUIRED FOR MEMBERSHIP? then if it is not required then why is there a BSA Insignia Guide 2005? seems to me that we have taken this to the point that it is troop rules which cannot overstep the policies of national then why do we even have a uniform? I just have been reading these post and put together what everybody is saying and after a while it seem to me that we can argue over anything and still have differing opinions. which is a good thing. now if you want to go 100% by the BOOK then you then should know it and not spout out useless info that nobody cares about. what really matters the most 100% rules or the KIDS? well IMHO I would beleive it to be the kids. Yes if a parent spends 100s to 1000s of dollars of money on sports programs then yes I have also told parents to see what would happen if you sent little johnny out on a football field with a scout uniform on? then dont send little johnny to me in scouts without a scout uniform on. but then again I am wrong because BSA rules state that to be a member then you dont have to have a scout uniform :twisted: :twisted: darn troop rules
:twisted: :twisted: just a little long winded version of my take on this issue.
cballman

Postby commish3 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:21 am

National may dictate what the BSA uniform is because it is their trade marked property, which we as volunteer members in good standing, are allowed by the BSA to wear.
commish3

Previous

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies