Scout Pants

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Would you Like Convertible Pants ?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes : 50

Scout Pants

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:07 pm

Since Tooth of Time Traders are selling convertible pants could this be our next SCout Pants? I personally Like the idea
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Guneukitschik » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:05 pm

The big problem that I have found with convertible pants is the zippers.
When the zipper breaks on your convertible pants...you've got permanent shorts.

Solution = Better quality zippers!
Guneukitschik

Postby don » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:02 am

All of the zip offs that I have, the legs have not faded as much as the short parts of the pants. I am not sure that it would be a good idea. I have had the same pair of scout pants for 7 years, I do not see the zip offs lasting as long. And still look good.
don
Star

Postby OldGreyBear » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:48 am

I am not sure about using zip off pants as part of the field uniform, the quesiton of having faded shorts with darker legs could be an issue. Then again the Scout store might be able to make a killing selling the legs separately. As scouts are about the same everywhere, I can see a huge market in "replacements legs" for those lost or torn. Maybe they could sell longer legs, to save on buying new pants as the scout grows, hmmm, there may be somehting to this...
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby Billvann » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:39 pm

don wrote:All of the zip offs that I have, the legs have not faded as much as the short parts of the pants. I am not sure that it would be a good idea. I have had the same pair of scout pants for 7 years, I do not see the zip offs lasting as long. And still look good.

Time will tell...

But I try to reduce the fading effect by always washing the legs with the shorts, even in the summer. My though (hope) is that they will still be nearly the same color. So far it's been sucessful after 2 years with a pair of cotton pants I wear to meetings. I now have 2 new pairs of nylon convertables I bought for Philmont that I'll wear to outings. That should help extend the life of the cotton pants.
Willie Vannerson
ASM Troop 149
McHenry, IL
Billvann
First Class

Postby Guneukitschik » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:30 am

I would bet that the convertible pants would be an addition to the current uniform pant selection not a complete replacement? But who knows? the whole uniform will probably be updated before too long!
Guneukitschik

Postby commish3 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:24 pm

I apologize but it is tough for me to answer the poll as stated. Do I like convertible pants? Yes. Would I like them for the Field Uniform? No. Would I Like them for the Activity Uniform? Maybe.

I have a pair of fast drying light weight convertible pants. They ar great. Except that, as mentioned, the leggings and shorts fade at differnt rates because you do not always have the leggings on. So I would not like them with the field uniform. Besides they arn't as dressy looking as the current pants.

This is not my first or only pair because the zippers do wear out, and not all pants fit the same. I have one pair I cannot wear because the zipper cuts me up like a saw as I hike. So to find one style that pleases everyone will be impossible.

Plus, for those of us tired of listening to people complain about the cost of the uniform, why support a new uniform peice that will likely cost more?

Interesting enough, the BSA did a field test in cooperation with the US Army on convertible uniform pants. The Army chose not to support the change based on 1) zippers breaking, and 2)uneven fading. So while they are available at Tooth of Tome Traders it is doubtful, based on the tests, that they will be incorporated into the BSA (or Army) uniforms.
commish3

Postby evmori » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:38 pm

Never liked these type of pants. They aren't comfortable as long or short pants!
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Convertible

Postby El_Coqui » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:25 pm

I have never liked these type of pants, and with the zipper they would look bad on the uniform.

If you want shorts, buy the shorts; if you want long, buy it that way. If you want both, get them both, and evaluate each activity before going and decide which type of pant to wear.
El_Coqui
Second Class

Postby Lynda J » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:19 pm

Don't like t hem. Have never seen any of them that don't look sloppy.
There is this big bulk around the knee. Maybe I am a stickler. But I press both my pants and Kevin's. Make sure the crease is sharp. It doesn't matter how wrinkled these pants are you can never get them pressed so they look neat and clean.
If you want shorts get shorts. If you want pants, get pants.
Right now Kevin has a couple of these and each are missing one leg
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:32 pm

Lynda J wrote:Don't like them. Have never seen any of them that don't look sloppy. There is this big bulk around the knee. Maybe I am a stickler. But I press both my pants and Kevin's. Make sure the crease is sharp. It doesn't matter how wrinkled these pants are you can never get them pressed so they look neat and clean. If you want shorts get shorts. If you want pants, get pants.

Gee Linda,

Don't hold back... Tell how you really feel! (You're bringing back memories of Basic Training.) :wink:
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Lynda J » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:36 am

Don't worry I will. I think pride in appearance is important to teach the boys. When they look like they have slept in their clothes when they first put them on it is hard to do that. Kevin has some of these pants. Because they are popular with the boys. But to be honest he complains about they scratching when he has to get down on his knees. For him the zippers hit right at the bend of his knees.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby Guneukitschik » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:44 am

Like I said before....I think the BSA will always have their official issue pants and then the zipper-version pants would be optional activity pants along with the official uniform pants but I don't see the zipper pants becoming that popular....that they would replace the regular pants.
Guneukitschik

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:52 am

How about a pair of pants that could be adjusted several sizs so the "The Boys Grow out of them too quick" Excuse could not be used to try justify not buying scout pants?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Guneukitschik » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:38 am

I like that idea.....they could make them adjust like those pants you get when you rent a tuxedo!!!
Guneukitschik

Postby Lynda J » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:51 pm

Actually the pants come in unfinished lenghts now. I put interface webbing in the hem and then the pants won't get as bad a crease at the bottom hem. THen I can let them out much easier. Just make sure that you don't cut the extra material off the bottom of the pants. I let Kevin's Cub pants out three times. Because of the color they did show the hem line a little.
But a dye stick took care of that.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby Guneukitschik » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:20 pm

Thanks for the sewing tip!

I've found that it is easier just to marry someone that knows how to sew!
:lol:
Guneukitschik

Postby t305spl » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:50 pm

The issue pants should stay as the field uniform(class A) pants. They should definatly do something to make them last a little longer on growing scouts.
t305spl
Eagle

Postby t305spl » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:51 pm

I like the idea of making the zip-offs part of the activity uniform. But I too have found they scratch your knees when you bend or kneel.
t305spl
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:13 pm

Lynda J wrote:Actually the pants come in unfinished lenghts now. I put interface webbing in the hem and then the pants won't get as bad a crease at the bottom hem. Then I can let them out much easier. Just make sure that you don't cut the extra material off the bottom of the pants. I let Kevin's Cub pants out three times. Because of the color they did show the hem line a little. But a dye stick took care of that.

Arrgh! We men are SOOO stupid! (Yeah, yeah, I know... that's a cuss word at my kid's school, too.) Men have only two answers to any problem... If it's a man-made problem, we throw money at it. If it's natural problem, we throw wood on it; lots of wood. That way, it'll either bury the thing or it'll make for a nice bed of coals fer my dutch oven.

Lynda, you've slain yet another gnarly beast this very day... I'll never be able to do any of that. I though that since I could sew a button back on, that I was really something. Hah! So, I'll be on my way now, without delay, out to my shed, where I shall make worthwhile use of my trusty ladder, one last time, and climb to the rooftop and... well, you know... splat! :wink:
RWSmith
Site Admin

Next

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies