Switchback Pants - Official Uniform??

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Switchback Pants - Official Uniform??

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:18 am

The belt is separate on the new pants if I have read all the literature correctly.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby mt_goodrich » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:43 am

The "built-in belt" on my switchbacks were the first thing to go.....well, actually the only thing to go.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:32 pm

Yeah, I ditched my belt, too. Too narrow for the belt loops. I use the regular BSA web belt or a BSA leather one. I HOPE SOMEONE FROM BSA SUPPLY IS READING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby joat » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:13 am

Bill Pitcher wrote: I HOPE SOMEONE FROM BSA SUPPLY IS READING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You didn't say. What is it you want them to know?

The pants are specifically designed to allow one to use a different Scout belt if one wants to do that. Sounds like a great idea to me!
And, because the pants come with a belt, there is no need to buy a belt in addition to the pants. Sounds like a great idea to me!

It seems to me everyone should be happy about the belt arrangement, no?
joat
Life

Postby lambeausam » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:32 am

Our council scout shop is authorized to start selling the uniform today. We were in the shop last night and got a sneak preview. There are new belts that fit the new loops. The buckle is rectangular and larger that the current one on the web belt. The youth pants run a little bigger that say Levi's. My oldest son wears a 14 jean and was swimming in the 14 switchbacks. The waistband has a built-in adjustment, similar to the Sansabelt polyester slacks my grandfather used to wear in the 70s. It doesn't button over like some of the boys' pants and jeans are built with now. The pants are generous in length and are unhemmed.

Sam
lambeausam
Life

Postby mt_goodrich » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:00 pm

I had to go to one of the local Scout Shops today and almost left with new uniform. The four guys working in the shop had on the new uniform and there was a display. I must say that now that I have actually seen it and touched it, I like it.

I really liked the new pants and almost got a pair today, but resisted.

You have a choice in fabric for the shirts. One is exactly like what I have now and the other is more like the material that is used for the current switchback pants.

Oh...and I saw the new merit badge books....wow...they are colorful!

I will more than likely pick up a full set next week. I've worked some OT and the CFO (my wife) said she will give me the green light. I may also need to pick up a green shirt as I have decided that I will be helping out with Venturing, as well.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby FieldSports » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Just made my $200+ contribution on the national site (2 Uniforms) :wink: .

Looks like the initial question on switch pants is moot. All pants are now switchbacks. :lol:
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby mhjacobson » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:24 pm

And I already found an error on the BSA 'Scout Stuff' Website. They describe the position of the trained emblem (on the ordering information) as being 'below the badge of office.' Actually, when you look at the new uniform inspection sheet, the uniform brochure, and the shirt (where there is no room for the 'trained' emblem below the position patch on the short sleaved shirt, or the long sleaved {with the sleaves rolled up}), the patch does on on the pocket flap ABOVE the position patch. A quick call to national confirmed that they used the wording for the old uniform when putting the information on the scout stuff website.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby Trigirl » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:39 am

I realize this is an old thread -

Uniform pants are a huge issue with my two sons. They very much dislike the new switchbacks. They are hot and heavy for the humid Florida climate. I think there is a nylon type material as well - some of the other scouts have those - but they are so baggy and 'cargo pant' looking that many do not like them. The OLD uniform pants were very nice - the fit well and looked very neat and professional at dress events. My oldest has been scouring ebay for them and they are very hard to find. We just had a COH this week and the boys dressed in the OLD style pants looked so much more crisp than those in the new 'baggy, cargo' look.

I know a number of other families in our troop feel the same way.

Anyone have a source for the old style BSA pants?
"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity."
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Trigirl
Second Class

Postby biglou » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:09 pm

They are official. End of discussion. To be quite honest, I like them. If they get wet, they dry really fast. I wore them this winter at my council's Polar Bear Weekend. I did not get cold. Then again, I had a pair of sweatpants and woolen long johns underneath them. They work well as snow pants. The only problem I have found with the older version of the switchbacks are the zippers. They break easy. That is why I have pair switch back shorts and switchback pants.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:14 pm

BSA felt IMHO that the old pants were only worn for Formal Occasions which are few pewr year.They wanted to have pants that would work in both formal but also in day to day use. Wear them, forget about the old one and move on.
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:14 pm

BSA felt IMHO that the old pants were only worn for Formal Occasions which are few pewr year.They wanted to have pants that would work in both formal but also in day to day use. Wear them, forget about the old one and move on.
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby danny_b » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Does this mean that any older styles of pants are no longer official? Or do they allow any official items no matter their date of manufacture?
danny_b
Tenderfoot

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:57 pm

All Uniforms are still allowed to be worn as sold. I cannot wear a 1960's open neck Summer shirt with swithbacks. :? The New Uniforms still say you can mix and match with the "older" uniform. Now some times for special activities they (BSA) specify what will be accepted as a uniform.
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Cowboy » Thu May 14, 2009 6:18 am

Who has come up with sizing on Scout uniforms? Must be a woman! No offense ladies, but I have been shopping with my wife and she wears 4 different size pants depending on style, manufacturer, and store. Seems that BSA is using the same companies! Checked my sons jeans: Size 32X32. Ordered size 32 shorts for him: Can't get them past his knees. Double checked his jeans: They are the baggy style, so must be a goofy measurment for that. Ordered plain (Dress) uniform slacks in size 34X32 (2 Pair) still can't get them past his hips. Really iritated by this time: Going to NYLT, needs switchbacks anyway, so ordered from the BOGO sale 2 pair 36X32 Switchbacks. He can get them on, cinch the belt tight, take three steps and they start falling down. Part of that would be that the legs are about 3 inches too long. Our nearest Scout shop is an hour away and only open during "school" hours, so getting him in anywhere to actually try them on is out.

Just needed to rant again.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby mhjacobson » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:02 am

According to National they are still part of the official uniform. All prior uniforms are still considered to be authorized until no longer servicable.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Previous

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies