New uniform in August

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: New uniform in August

Postby alex gregory » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

I find the nylon material used for switchbacks and presumably the new shirts is not great around a campfire. My swithchbacks have scorch holes from sparks, and I've had them only a year! One advantage of natural fibers is the ability to stand up to a spark. I personally am perfectly happy and smell much sweeter without, but the boys love a fire.

The new fabrics are much better for outdoors, but still not as good as REI, Columbia, North Face, Mountain Hardware, or similar quality gear even though the prices are basically the same (sometimes more). The swithchbacks do not dry very quickly, and I find the weight is heavy compared to my favorite REI, Columbia and North Face gear. The pockets are not very good; I would like a zipper pocket for change and ID, and a better knife pocket. The integrated belt rolls inside the seam in the dryer, which is a hassle. I do like the boot-cut zipper bottoms, and find it easy to get the bottoms on and off regular and mid-size footwear.

The new BSA swim trunks are great. They're perfect Class B shorts, and they dry fast. My son wore them every day all day at summer camp, and was very pleased that he never had to use his extra 5 pairs of underpants (I guess we have to work on "a Scout is Clean").
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:20 pm

The switchbacks have a canvas option now!
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby mt_goodrich » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:55 pm

alex gregory wrote:The new BSA swim trunks are great. They're perfect Class B shorts, and they dry fast. My son wore them every day all day at summer camp, and was very pleased that he never had to use his extra 5 pairs of underpants (I guess we have to work on "a Scout is Clean").

What??? Swimming doesn't count as bathing??? :)
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby WVBeaver05 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:17 pm

alex gregory wrote:The swithchbacks do not dry very quickly, and I find the weight is heavy compared to my favorite REI, Columbia and North Face gear.

This is true, even though the liturature specifically mentions fast drying.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:41 pm

The Lodge Chief and a couple of 0ur Professionals had the New Uniform on this weekend. Everyone that saw it and we had around 300 at the OA weekend liked what they saw. The Nylon SHirt is a different feel than regular nylon and they all had the canvas pants on.
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby kwildman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:00 pm

Our DE had the same thing... i dont think the nylon pants have hit the stores yet.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby kimberbakos » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:42 am

Is anyone else pretty sure that the new uniform will be required for Jamboree? I just bought my son two complete uniforms this spring since he was in the MI Governor's Honor Guard on Mackinac Island and had to have two uniforms. Thankfully, I was able to get much of it off eBay. But I'm still not happy about considering having to replace the whole thing 2x over in another couple years since I bought big so he'd have growing room
Xiamenmom
Mom to one Scout
MB counselor/Activities chair
kimberbakos
First Class

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:45 am

I do not see them requiring the new uniform. Of course I could be wrong but I believe the Contingent Guide has already been distributed to the councils and the New Uniform is not in it.
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Ursus Snorous Roarus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:57 am

I'd be shocked if each Council doesn't require it. I'd guess they'll want each troop uniformly uniformed.
Last edited by Ursus Snorous Roarus on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ursus Snorous Roarus
Star

Postby scoutaholic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:02 pm

Our council usually requires 5 uniforms. If you have 2 of the older style and 3 new style, I don't see them complaining too much.
Officially, any uniform that was ever official is still an official BSA uniform and can be worn (although mixing old with new is discouraged). If I had a 1910 uniform, I would be sure to take it with me to the Centenial Jamboree.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:55 pm

scoutaholic wrote:Our council usually requires 5 uniforms.

FIVE?
IMHO, that's at least 2 too many.

In 1975 I attended the 14th World Jamboree in Norway.
The total trip was 22 days (Ten days at Jambo site in Lillehammerm, Norway also touring Norway, Sweden, Finland, and a 3-night stay with a Swedish family.)
We were only required to have 3 uniforms.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:03 pm

Most of the Kids Only wear their Uniform for th Shows which I really have issue with. They should wear an activity uniform while touring the Jambore with a Scout Type T SHirt. Not AC/DC or Metallica etc. The Troop leaders need to have an inspection before the Scouts leave the Camp in the Morning. Included must be clothes, Water Bottles or Water Bladder, Jamboree Hat. That being said the Jamboree should be able to refuse service to any scout that is not outfitted correctly. In 01 and 05 Boys consistantly showed up at the Tower with No Hat and No Water Bottles. They were sent back to their Subcamps to get them. A little more attention by their Leaders would really help.
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby scoutaholic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:57 pm

Billiken wrote:
scoutaholic wrote:Our council usually requires 5 uniforms.

FIVE?
IMHO, that's at least 2 too many....

Yes, but our council also requires 20 days and $2500. I think they wear uniforms every day the week before Jamboree, and unless they use the hotel laundry services, they would arive at jamboree with nothing but dirty uniforms.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby Ursus Snorous Roarus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:08 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Most of the Kids Only wear their Uniform .... refuse service to any scout that is not outfitted correctly. In 01 and 05 Boys consistantly showed up at the Tower with No Hat and No Water Bottles. They were sent back to their Subcamps to get them.

Non-Scouting related t-shirts is in no way acceptable on this trip. Are you sure they were contingent Scouts? Good for you for sending them back for the bottle.
Last edited by Ursus Snorous Roarus on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ursus Snorous Roarus
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:24 am

In The Sun a Hat is a Requirement. Each boy had a Jamboree hat they were to wear along with their Lanyard and ID Card. We kept ICe water at all times and Allowed the boys to fill up if they asked but when they would show up at 8 am and have no water with them that is such a issue and it does go back to their troop leadership.
I have a guy on staff that is a sign maker and he is making a large one to put that says NO hat, No water, No Rappelling :lol:
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby hops_scout » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:49 pm

wagionvigil wrote:I have a guy on staff that is a sign maker and he is making a large one to put that says NO hat, No water, No Rappelling :lol:

Nice!

I pretty well kept my hat on me at all times or real close by. I think I was pretty well wearing a helmet or a hat at all times. And my hat showed it! :lol:
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:51 am

WE all had helmet head :lol:
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Quailman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:26 am

My new shirt runs large. I am generally between a L and XL, tending toward the latter for room, but the XL was huge. No problem there though. L fits just fine.

One feature that is unusual is the stitching down the left breast pocket. It's to divide it for a pen - there's an opening in the flap like on the old shirt, but a bit larger. It cuts off about two thirds of the pocket. If you're going to sew a rank patch on by hand so you can use the pocket, you'll almost certainly need to rip this seam out first. If you use a machine and stitch right through the pocket, it won't matter to you. In fact, the scout shop salesperson said if I wanted to use their patch-sewer-oner (tailor), it would cost a buck for going through the pocket and an extra half dollar to have her rip the seam. Any time I've kept a pen in my pocket I've not cared that there's no divider.

It's been quite a while since I sewed unit numerals on my shirt, but the new ones seemed to be awfully frayed along the edged. I know it's just the excess beyond the trim, but still... I think it's due to not having a waxy backing.

And I'm going to wait for several washes to see how the lettering over the right pocket holds up.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby BuffaloWill » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:52 am

Has anyone seen the Nylon and Cavanas side by side? Any preferences?

I'm thinking that the canvas will look better but I'd like some opinions from those who have seen both.
BuffaloWill
Tenderfoot

Postby jr56 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:18 pm

The new shirt looks very similar to the old one. Don't care to much for the "cigarette" pocket, and the green shoulder loops. I still don't see what was wrong with red.
jr56
Bronze Palm

PreviousNext

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies