New uniform in August

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby spl08 » Thu May 15, 2008 3:01 pm

wagionvigil wrote:SO you wear either the old uniform Complete. Or the New Uniform Complete.
That sounds reasonable. Is that just so that it can all phase out or will that be a permenant policy?
wagionvigil wrote:They are also doing somthing with badges but my contact was not sure what was meant by that.
ehhh, not so sure I like that sound of that though. I think the patches are pretty good as they are. But, I was surprised by the uniform in a positive way, and maybe it'll be the same for the patches.

Btw, was that you who sent me the email with the PDF of the new uniforms WV?
Eagle Scout-2006
NYLT grad-2005
former SPL, ASPL, Troop Guide, PL

Show me a poorly uniformed troop and I'll show you a poorly uniformed leader- Sir Robert Baden Powell
spl08
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Thu May 15, 2008 3:02 pm

The Flyer says you can mix and Match SOOOOOO! I guess we wait and see.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby OldGreyBear » Thu May 15, 2008 4:01 pm

OldGreyBear
Ephesians 6:4
Fathers, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger [do not exasperate them to resentment], but rear them [tenderly] in the training and discipline and the counsel and admonition of the Lord.
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu May 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks for the linkl But I sent Quailman the PDF
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Quailman » Thu May 15, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks for sending it. Now everyone can see.

I was going to comment on the "mix and match" but someone already did.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:14 pm

OldGreyBear wrote:does this help quailman?

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bobgeier ... niform.pdf

Thanks for the pdf.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby mhjacobson » Thu May 15, 2008 11:34 pm

However the missed a great opportunity in the design. Given that both the rank patch and the POR (youth shirt) goes on pockets and the POR on the adult will go on a pocket, it would be wonderful if the proper size and shape velcro would be placed on those pockets and then velcro backet patches could be used. Given the material of the new shirts, I can see a lot of unhappy people when they see what adding and removing patches will do to the shirts.

Also, note that the nylon switchbacks are not very fireproof -- sitting at one good campfire could result in some very interesting burn holes.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby FieldSports » Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 pm

One of the interesting things I took away from World Jamboree, was that our uniforms were pretty "ornate". Got a couple of comments from the other countries.

I like the new look. :D Youth may even want to wear uniform more. Time will tell.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby OldGreyBear » Fri May 16, 2008 8:39 am

I admit I am an old guy. Can you younger, like 21 and under, guys tell me what is the biggest difference in the uniforms? Why would youth who dont like the uniform now be more inclinded to wear it now? It seems the uniform is a Boy Scout wanna be version of the Venturing Uniform.

I was expecting a major change in the uniform, the way it is now you could play find the differences in the unform between the new and current uniforms and stump people rather easily
OldGreyBear
Ephesians 6:4
Fathers, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger [do not exasperate them to resentment], but rear them [tenderly] in the training and discipline and the counsel and admonition of the Lord.
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby Quailman » Fri May 16, 2008 11:12 am

One material difference as I see it is the pockets. They are bellows style on the new uniform and one is added on the sleeve where the POR patch goes. My son has fine motor skills issue (related to CP) so I sew on all his patches. The bellows style pockets might make it easier to sew on rank patches (his will only change one more time at most), but the added - and probably smaller - pocket will likely make sewing on the POR patch more difficult.

Disclaimer - I am most definitely not responding to OGB's request for feedback from 21-and-unders. :)
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby spl08 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:15 am

OldGreyBear wrote:Why would youth who dont like the uniform now be more inclinded to wear it now? It seems the uniform is a Boy Scout wanna be version of the Venturing Uniform.
Well, for the last couple year or so, I've not been very embarrased to wear the uniform and have actually taken pride in it for the fact of what it really represents, so I can't really speak from the standpoint of an embarrased scout. However, I do notice that the fabric is different though the color is not (which I kinda like), the sleeves can be rolled and held up in a button which is convienient, and IMO the pockets are what really make it look cool along with the fact that the rank patch is higher up. Not sure why that appeals to me, but I like it! Gotta admit though, I'm with the "get the red epaulets back" crowd. One thing I'm reeeally glad they don't require for offical uniform is the old cap! The new one is much better because the old one was very much so from the 80s (and that's quite a statement coming from someone such as myself with hardly any style what-so-ever)!

Oh, and isn't the venturing uniform green? so other than the epaulets, how is it a "wannabe" vesion?
OldGreyBear wrote:I was expecting a major change in the uniform, the way it is now you could play find the differences in the unform between the new and current uniforms and stump people rather easily
IMO I think that's part of what makes it a good uniform! It's very similar, making the people who don't want the uniform to change mostly happy, and the people who wanted drastic change somewhat happy. Personally, I think it's just right other than the epaulets!
Eagle Scout-2006
NYLT grad-2005

Show me a poorly uniformed troop and I'll show you a poorly uniformed leader- Sir Robert Baden Powell
spl08
Life

Postby jr56 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Let's see..........we'll have venturers in green shoulder loops, boy scouts in green shoulder loops, and boy scouts in red shoulder loops............ok
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:13 pm

UI don't really like the comment "the uniform is gear". The uniform is something you should be proud of.

I think I'll wait 14 months and get one when I become an adult.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby spl08 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:23 pm

jr56 wrote:Let's see..........we'll have venturers in green shoulder loops, boy scouts in green shoulder loops, and boy scouts in red shoulder loops............ok
I see your point; some scouts in green loops, and some in red...it detracts from the sense of unity amoung all of the boy scouts in BSA. However, I want to with-hold judgement until I get the whole stroy. WHY can we wear either one when they come out? Is it a matter of phasing out the current uniforms, and by a certain date everybody will be required to have the new uniforms and wear green epaulets (loops)?
Eagle Scout-2006
NYLT grad-2005

spl08
Life

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:09 pm

spl08 wrote:
jr56 wrote:Let's see..........we'll have venturers in green shoulder loops, boy scouts in green shoulder loops, and boy scouts in red shoulder loops............ok
I see your point; some scouts in green loops, and some in red...it detracts from the sense of unity amoung all of the boy scouts in BSA. However, I want to with-hold judgement until I get the whole stroy. WHY can we wear either one when they come out? Is it a matter of phasing out the current uniforms, and by a certain date everybody will be required to have the new uniforms and wear green epaulets (loops)?

I believe it is because not many are going to buy the new uniforms at first anyway. Why should we when the old one is cooler.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Fri May 16, 2008 11:01 pm

spl08 wrote:... WHY can we wear either one when they come out? Is it a matter of phasing out the current uniforms, and by a certain date everybody will be required to have the new uniforms and wear green epaulets (loops)?

Not likely that they will set a drop-dead date.

Officially, you can still wear any uniform that has ever been the official BSA uniform. If you have a 1910 uniform you can still wear it. They do specify in the official uniform guidelines that you should not mix old with new. Either all current, or all of the older vintage.

Most likely they will stop manufacture of the older uniforms, and sell out of them. Supply division seems to have a policy of doing that. Change something, announce the new, keep selling the old, maybe send the new to scout shops after we have sold out of the outdated version. I've seen this particularly with books and paperwork. They were still selling outdated swimming and lifesaving MB books two years after the MBs were rewritten. The pamphlet that covered the current requirements wasn't available until they had sold all of the older version.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:52 am

Please be camo, please be camo...!

JUST KIDDING :twisted:
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby fgoodwin » Sun May 18, 2008 2:55 pm

pipestone1991 wrote:UI don't really like the comment "the uniform is gear". The uniform is something you should be proud of.

I think this meant to imply the uniform is more functional, in response to the oft-leveled charge that the Oscar dela Renta uniform is for "parlor Scouts".

From what I can tell from the flier, the new uniform is indeed meant to be more functional for outdoor use.
fgoodwin
First Class

Postby wagionvigil » Mon May 19, 2008 10:01 am

www.bsauniforms.org

The uniform is on the bsa website
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Uniform

Postby riverwalk » Mon May 19, 2008 10:11 am

Oops, another glaring blooper of the Uniform. I once reported on one of the '07 catalogs, showing an adult with the youth Arrow of Light patch. This link starts out with a reverse image of the Uniform, oops.

Thanks for the link. The pocket change will be useful. And I still wonder if Venturing will keep their loops on their Uniform, thanks. :)
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

PreviousNext

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies