Wood Badge Patrol Patch

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Wood Badge Patrol Patch

Postby FieldSports » Sun May 11, 2008 12:17 am

What are your councils doing (if anything) about adults wearing their patrol critter on the uniform after Wood Badge?

The only thing I have seen stated it is worn "while on course". I intrepret that to be till the beads are earned or 18 months.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby scoutaholic » Sun May 11, 2008 1:57 am

Our council has a Woodbadge Association. The Association has worked with the council to create a special CSP. It has a variation of the pentagon WB logo (reshaped to work as CSP) with a tartan background, and a round hole in the middle where you can wear your patrol critter as a part of the CSP.

For years, It has been common in the council to see adults wearing their WB patrol patch, (even though it is officially not allowed). Now, some will spend the extra money to get a special CSP that allows them to officially wear their WB patrol critter.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Re: Wood Badge Patrol Patch

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:50 am

FieldSports wrote:What are your councils doing (if anything) about adults wearing their patrol critter on the uniform after Wood Badge?

The only thing I have seen stated it is worn "while on course". I intrepret that to be till the beads are earned or 18 months.

Actually, I would have interpretted that as during the course its self, not while working the ticket.

But, I have seen the same thing and haven't known anyone to try and do anything about it. If you mention it they essentially shrug their shoulders or something equivalently non-committal. The Wood Badge critter patrol patches aren't the only thing though. I recently saw an adult with an "Old Goat" patrol patch. Then there are the ones with 6 or 7 (or more) Quality Unit patches, or 3 tempoary patches, patches on the left pocket, etc.

Still, don't see anyone wanting to rock the boat. I don't agree with it, but that's what I see. So, as you hinted, not anything.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Sun May 11, 2008 8:56 am

So adults are not supposed to wear patrol patches? I, too, have seen the Old Goat patches, and thought nothing of it. I wear a patrol patch, too. When I first became an assistant Webelos leader, another leader in the pack gave me a patch, because the bird represented on it has the same name that I do (thus my screen name). I sewed it on and wear it proudly. No one has ever said anything to me about removing it or that it did not belong.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sun May 11, 2008 9:02 am

In reality patrol patches are for the Boys not the adults. Once you finish your WB course you are to remove those items from your uniform. Now that being said if you attend a WB Presentation for someone from your patrol you can wear those items.
I hae seen the Old Goat and the Rcking Chair and the Untrainable patches worn but they should nopt ne worn constantly. if you want to wear it once fine then remove it and move on.

When I was doing a lot of WB Courses I kept one shirt without anything except the wood badge Items to use for presentations. Once Everyone was done I reverted the shirt to normal use.
No one is going to make and issue but we need to set an example for our youth.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:02 am

wagionvigil wrote:No one is going to make and issue but we need to set an example for our youth.

That's one of my key points about a lot of things. I expect my Scouts to follow the rules. I set the example by trying to meticulously follow them myself. Or, as I was taught in Scouting (years and years ago), if I don't agree with the rules, I try to get them changed.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby joat » Sun May 11, 2008 10:45 am

Quailman wrote:So adults are not supposed to wear patrol patches? ... No one has ever said anything to me about removing it or that it did not belong.
Most folks are too polite to point it out. Or they don't want a snappy MYOB comeback. Kinda like an adult wearing the Eagle rank badge on his uniform.
joat
Life

Postby kwildman » Sun May 11, 2008 10:59 am

I dont have a problem with someone wearing their WB patrol patch...obviously they are proud of it and it can create conversation with other leaders to promote WB.

The uniform police really rub me the wrong way. As an adult leader I think it takes a lot of gall for another leader to correct an adult not associated with their unit on their uniform.

Kevin
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sun May 11, 2008 11:15 am

The Uniform and everything on it actually stills belong to the BSA even though you paid for it. And That is the Truth!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Sun May 11, 2008 4:41 pm

It would be different if a professional scouter commented on the uniforming but I have never heard about that...it is always another leader from another unit.

I know alot of troops where the adult leaders are in a patrol. We do it to set the example for the kids. In our troop the only difference between the scouts and the leaders are the size of their feet and price of their gear. :D

Kevin
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sun May 11, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi kwildman - welcome to the forum. Nice to see folks from nearby!

kwildman wrote:It would be different if a professional scouter commented on the uniforming but I have never heard about that...it is always another leader from another unit.

I think I would view this just the opposite. The professionals are there to support the volunteers. I consider it to be the volunteers that run Scouting not the professionals.

kwildman wrote:I know alot of troops where the adult leaders are in a patrol. We do it to set the example for the kids.

The example that I was describing is following the rules.

I never have a problem asking a Scout about the state of his uniform. Sometimes they don't know. I usually don't ask adults but seeing improper uniforming probably bothers me more than "the uniform police" do others.

I view it as a rule (it is!) and follow the rules just like we teach Scouts to.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

WB

Postby riverwalk » Sun May 11, 2008 5:40 pm

While we aren't to wear those on the regular uniform, there's a way. Locally, many of us maintain a WB shirt to wear to the reunions. It also seems the old goat ones are tolerated by many Scouters.

One thought here is when you do your Unit's inspection. You can't overlook the wearing of non approved stuff, unless you do just that, haha. Also, some Councils have authorized local "knots" so this might fit in as well.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Sun May 11, 2008 6:57 pm

scoutaholic wrote:Our council has a Woodbadge Association. The Association has worked with the council to create a special CSP. It has a variation of the pentagon WB logo (reshaped to work as CSP) with a tartan background, and a round hole in the middle where you can wear your patrol critter as a part of the CSP.

Wow! That's quite innovative. I'd sure like to see one. (I'll Google it and see if I can find one.)
Last edited by RWSmith on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: formating code
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby scoutaholic » Sun May 11, 2008 11:50 pm

RWSmith wrote:
scoutaholic wrote:Our council has a Woodbadge Association. The Association has worked with the council to create a special CSP. It has a variation of the pentagon WB logo (reshaped to work as CSP) with a tartan background, and a round hole in the middle where you can wear your patrol critter as a part of the CSP.

Wow! That's quite innovative. I'd sure like to see one. (I'll Google it and see if I can find one.)

I doubt you'll find it on google, you can see it in the current association newsletter. http://www.gslc-bsa.org/docs/wba/WBA_Cr ... Apr_08.pdf
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby FieldSports » Mon May 12, 2008 9:07 pm

What an awsome answer to the problem. Gets past the uniform cops!!
That CSP is great.

Now I'll have to do is convince the Scout Executive.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby Billiken » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:20 am

I heard (saw) this the other night at RoundTable:

Wood Badge Patrol patch worn in the inside of the right breast pocket flap.
(Behind the OA flap.)

Guy that had it was talking with me re my recent experience at C-13-08.
He asked what critter I was.
"Me too" he said. And then he flipped up his right pocket flap showing a BEAR
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:47 pm

Let me get this straight.......

I enroll in Wood Badge for a two weekend course.
While there I must have my shirt with a special WB CSP and Troop Number
I must add patrol patch to right sleeve.

I must take it all off after the second weekend and hope I have a spare shirt to wear if there is a meeting I must
attend in between weekends.

But there are Councils that have NATIONAL APPROVED CSPs that reflect the WB experience with the patrol reference.

Then when my ticket is complete and I have my beading ceremony, or I attend another's beading ceremonyor I attend another WB
function, I must have all my WB back on my shirt as if I were back at my first weekend again.

Am I reading the posts correctly?
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:38 pm

ED, Yes!
Everyone is on equal terms at a WB Course. All you wear is your Council Strip.
If you Notice the STaff will be the same except for their Beads an Neckerchief. Participants will work through POR within the Patrol and the Troop and will pin those on as needed. You will need to sew your Patrol Patch on when it is assigned and you a minute (literally). I would not worry about removing etc. until the course is over.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:57 pm

wagionvigil wrote:ED, Yes!

This is not clearly and concisely defined in the course application. It needs to be.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:07 pm

It should be in the letter about arrival etc. To the course.
When I was actively staffing courses I kept one shirt just for WB activities. I did 3 Week long courses and 1 weekend course. Back then the Weekend course was 3 weekends not two. WHat they are tryng to prevent is you have a guy or lady with just about every award you can have and you have someone that has just what they need to take WB in the same patrol and the New folks are intimidated with the Experienced person. It also give you an opportunity to find out this information yourself, which you do.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Next

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies