Uniforms when traveling

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby cubbobwhite » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:49 pm

Navy blazer with a white shirt or blouse and gray slacks or skirt. All Professional Scouters were them.
Leslie (in Michigan)
Cubmaster - Pack 101
Council Training Chairman
Blue Water Council
cubbobwhite
Second Class

In the public eye?

Postby riverwalk » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:47 pm

Hmmm, I read some comments that are different from my experience. I've seen more Uniform (public) use by Cubs than some Troops practice. So it's not a Cub or Boy Scout thing. It is expected and usually required, and it's a superb way of community involvement. That can also be known as maintaining visibility in the community.

On trips/traveling...it helps with accountability and discipline, or expectations I think.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby t305spl » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:26 pm

The uniforms are great. I have noticed people all over respect you more when they see you in this uniform. A lot of people look at a group of youth boys and think not so good things(Now im not talking about everyone) But when they see you in the uniform they have much more respect and they treat you so much better. You gotta love the elderly people or the mothers telling their children "look over there at the Boy Scouts" I love hearing that. I like people noticing us and liking us for striving to be better people.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby T305TG » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:51 pm

Well i think that we can now say that this topic has been answered and is officalial useless... besides argumentative reasons, which is not what this service is for...

We have seen that there are times where feild uniforms, "Class A" are neccesary and other times where a scouting T-shirt and scout pants are acceptable...

I myself would prefer to be in the T-shirt

But that is Not what scouting is about
Scouting in my opinion is about helping the community and striving for excelence in and out of the scouting community... to prepare yourself for the world...

We should relize that there is more in scouting then what we think is better for ourselves... and that we have to think about not just our own self image but the image which we present for our troop/ town

wow that was alot of words

thanks
T305TG
Second Class

Postby RWSmith » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:22 am

Thanks, Chris. That's much better. And BTW, welcome to the board.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:03 pm

"I don't think you'll find many adult volunteers wearing a Scouters dress uniform."

I wear it . . . sort of. I wear my own blue blazer with the appropriate pocket emblem and my own grey trousers.

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:04 pm

Lynda J wrote:When I was working with Cubs we had the same problem. We started a award program using a Den Totum board. Each Den that had everyone in at least their uniorm shirt received a bead for each member (including adults). If they had their hat and scarf they got additional beads. At the end of the month the Den with the most beads got an ice cream party. Guess what after about 3 months we ended up simply doing a Pack party. So we added another type of reward. The boys had fun because they got to put the beads on their totums. And we had almost everyone at Den meetings and Pack meetings in uniform. We didn't require BSA pants or shorts because of the expense. But shirts, scarves, hats.
It ws fun. With the troop our boys all wear their uniforms to all meetings. Including merit badge workshops.
you're bribing children? that doesnt sound scoutlike. jk
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:08 pm

we just do the shirt cause what does the neckerchief do when you are riding in the car, at the flag ceremony or at meetings it just makes burn up. if they are to distinguish troops wait thats what the numbers are for
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:40 pm

If you wear a Scout Uniform You Must wear it correctly. There is no option!
BSA does not require a uniform BUT if you wear one it must be complete and correct.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Previous

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies