Uniforms when traveling

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby Guneukitschik » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:00 am

I can see the point of not wearing the Class A uniform if you are going to be riding in a vehicle for a long period of time. Then you could wear a Class B uniform shirt. I have to admit...a uniform that is dirty and extrememly wrinkled looks worse than no uniform at all.

But for most trips...The Class A is what should be worn...

As stated above...we are Boy Scouts and are EXPECTED to look and act like Boy Scouts!
Guneukitschik

Postby Billvann » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:09 am

scoutmasterbob wrote:This is how I handle it.
We wear Scout Uniforms to be recognized as Scouts.

I just did a Scoutmasters Minute that touches on this topic. While we were traveling to and from Philmont, I was approached multiple times by complete strangers becasue they recognize the unifirm and the Flour de lis symbol. Each time I was treated with respect and kindness even though these people did not know me personally.

But they knew me by uniform. People have come to know that a young man or adult wearing a scout uniform strives to lives by a standard code of ethics and morals. We refer to them as the Scout Oath and Scout Law. These people may not be able to recite either the law or the oath, but they do understand and appreciate the underlying pricipals at their foundation.

So wear your uniform with pride, as symbol of your commitment to living up to the Scout Oat and Law. And people you don't know will recognize you and know you.

Of course, the is the other sideof the story. With wearing the uniform comes the responsibilty acting and behaving honorably so that those scouts who follow will also enjoy the goodwill that people associate with the uniform and scouting.

Lastly, you will find that many of these people are or were involved with scouting. Wearing your uniform will continually introduce yourself to fellow members of the scouting brotherhood. I can't count the number of fellow scouters I've meet in public places over the years becasue of the uniform. It's a tie that binds us together for a lifetime. So wear it often and wear it with pride.
Willie Vannerson
ASM Troop 149
McHenry, IL
Billvann
First Class

Postby t305spl » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:53 pm

I'm not sure but dosen't policy include the uniform in it. So if we are out of uniform in a public place is that against policy?
t305spl
Eagle

Postby optimist » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:08 pm

Generally speaking, policies are not that restrictive. Uniforming is a method of Scouting, not a demand that must be adhered under all circumstances. There are many times when you won't want to wear a uniform. I never wear my uniform during strenuous activities (backpacking, service projects, athletic games, etc) and you're not allowed to wear your uniform while fund raising (except for the BSA popcorn drive).

With rare exceptions, full uniform should always be worn during ceremonies. Instead of full uniform, it's generally considered best to leave sashes and other loose items off during regular meetings. This is often best when going out in public as well. As mentioned above, the uniform is great tool for both positive public interaction and in keeping Scouts mindful of the Oath and Law while traveling.
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby Bob White » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:53 am

There are two uniforms in troop scouting. They are the Field Uniform and the Activity Uniform. The Field Uniform is recommended for formal wear when representing yourself as a Scout, such as troop meetings, courts of honor, boards of review, parades, flag cremonies etc.

The activity uniform (Scout t-shirt or polo, scout pants or shorts, scout belt, scout socks) is for wear for appropriate activities, clean up projects, hiking, camping.

Anything else is not in uniform, which is OK because there are times when the uniform isn't appropriate.

But Class A and Class B, are not recognized by the BSA.

Hope this helps,
Bob White
Bob White

Postby evmori » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:31 am

Bob White wrote:There are two uniforms in troop scouting. They are the Field Uniform and the Activity Uniform. The Field Uniform is recommended for formal wear when representing yourself as a Scout, such as troop meetings, courts of honor, boards of review, parades, flag cremonies etc.

The activity uniform (Scout t-shirt or polo, scout pants or shorts, scout belt, scout socks) is for wear for appropriate activities, clean up projects, hiking, camping.

Anything else is not in uniform, which is OK because there are times when the uniform isn't appropriate.

But Class A and Class B, are not recognized by the BSA.

Hope this helps,
Bob White

Bob is correct! But is a unit wants to call the field uniform a Class A & the activity uniform a Class B, I see nothing wrong with that!
Whats are cremonies?
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby Bob White » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:05 pm

Bob is correct! But is a unit wants to call the field uniform a Class A & the activity uniform a Class B, I see nothing wrong with that!
Whats are cremonies?

cremonies are ceremonies with a typo. Just as is
But is a unit wants to call the field uniform

People who live in glass houses Ed.....

Certainly the troop cancall the uniform whatever they want but what does that teach the scout? I would hope that you would agre since we lead a Scouting program it would be nice if we were consistant in our termonology and definitions. You can call a pig a dog, but it is still a pig.

I hope I will not have to concern the monitors of this board with you taking personal shots at me, as you have been cautioned about on other boards.

It would be refreshing for you to discuss topics and not the authors.

Thank you in advance,
Bob White
Bob White

Postby Bob White » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:06 pm

I also tyop'd on
agree
my apologies to all concerned.

Happy Scouting,
BW
Bob White

Postby evmori » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:03 pm

Bob,
I was not taking a shot at you. Just making a comment. And what I do on other boards is no ones business except those on those other boards. If you want to get the moderators involved, go ahead. I have done nothing to warrant you getting them involved.

Sure we should all be using the same terminology. But if someone calls a tarp a fly it means the same thing. Some people know the Field Uniform as a Class A uniform & the Activity Uniform as a Class B uniform. No harm no foul!
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

uniforms

Postby cballman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:47 pm

what I see is that it is ok if some of us call the offical scout uniform a class A or whatever but when some types in the word typo :shock: wow we all know what it is. so In my humble opinion quit correcting and acting like a bunch of whining kids and lets put this forum to good use and let everybody have a say if you dont agree dont get personal because we are doing this for the kids and not a bunch of rulebook toting people. if this upsets anyone I am sorry but would this be part of the NO Tolerance policy that we talk about elsewhere. IMHO if you want to start something log of and do it somewhere else because I want to stick with helping boys and leaders not to referee.

Thank you Optimist for this board and everything that you have done for SCOUTING
cballman

Postby t305spl » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:50 am

Guys I asked this question and made this topic for answers not for other users to get personal so if you want to get personal call each other up and talk. Please only answer the original question here thanks.
t305spl
Eagle

Postby optimist » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:42 pm

No worries, t305spl. I think you got your answer. The concensus is that it's generally a good idea to wear the uniform when exposed to the public and trip with several stops will generally involve a lot of direct public exposure.

As for the personal attacks, I've had several discussions with various people and think I've made it clear what is and is not acceptable. For those I didn't specifically talk to, please remember that argueing does not qualify as answering the question. Demanding that the rules say this or that the rules don't say that and that people must do so-and-so tends to turn those people off. However, a small, accurate quote can do wonders. Since many rules are available on the web (many directly on MeritBadge.com), accurately quoting rules is often as simple as cutting and pasting.

When posting in these forums, the main rules are the Scout Law and laws three through six are especially note worthy when posting here: A Scout is Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, and Kind :)
optimist
Adv Chair

uniform wearing issue.

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:50 pm

When i was SPL last year i had the exact problem.
Many of our kids in the troop are .. well put it plainly cocky and arrogant.
These are the kids that are supposably big and bad and usually cause the most trouble with this issue because they do not want to wear it for many reasons.. long distance travel = unconfortable time, embarrasment ect.

Tell these scouts that they have to wear it until they stop complaining.
A scout is honest .. but anything is needed to stop the constant annoying complaining.
If they actually listen to the reason for a couple meetings (about three months) without problems, let them have a meeting where the reward is Class B.
Then the next meeting go back to the class a, and have a uniform check.

Another way is to have random uniform checksat the end of the meetings opening..
This is where if you are even missing one thing you get a check.
3 checks result in a duty on the next campout.
The person is not told when they recieve three checks but are told when they recieve a check.
When the scout has a full complete uniform they are rewarded with a piece of candy or something.

Our troop inicitated this at the start of this year. We had alot of kids coming to meetings with no uniform .. this bothered alot of teh adults.
This is the biggest success and continues to work with our group.

Traveling Issue.
Our troop is very active in the community. We march in every City and HOliday parade and when weather is nice we are in FULL uniform.
You should be proud to wear the uniform no matter what. You would be suprised how many people look up to you for wearing it.

This is along with the meetings.
Although we go from Class A to B in the summer time a week or so before spring ends.

The only campouts we dont wear uniforms on is on our June and July Campouts. These campouts are strictly class b travel campouts. Only reason being is that in june. we have our fun campout where the kids get a break from all the skills and learning and junk and have fun playing on the lake. The uniform is never needed here. And if it is it is only if the scout needs a Scoutmasters Conferance and or BOR.

July.
We dont have Class A required for summer camp travel due tot eh fact that we never stay in the state for camp. we are usually out a day or two travel. 500+ miles for camp. The uniform can get really warm on teh scout and irriability can occur alot.
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
Troop 1589 Assistant Scoutmaster & First Year Program Director
Detroit Area Council Merit Badge Councilor
EagleBoy62204
Life

Postby optimist » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:17 pm

An excellent post! Shows a troop that both sees the need for uniforming and realizes that there are times when going without the uniform can be a good idea too :)
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby ASM-142 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:42 am

According to BSA there is only 1 uniform. There is no Class A or Class B that many troops have adopted.
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:16 am

This has been discussed and explained elswhere in this topic. Please review. Class A and B are just acronyms.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby cubbobwhite » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:24 am

ASM-142 wrote:According to BSA there is only 1 uniform. There is no Class A or Class B that many troops have adopted.

Actually there are three -
  • Dress uniform
  • Field uniform
  • Activity uniform
Leslie (in Michigan)
Cubmaster - Pack 101
Council Training Chairman
Blue Water Council
cubbobwhite
Second Class

Postby Rick Tyler » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:25 am

cubbobwhite wrote:
ASM-142 wrote:According to BSA there is only 1 uniform. There is no Class A or Class B that many troops have adopted.

Actually there are three -
Dress uniform
Field uniform
Activity uniform

I don't think you'll find many adult volunteers wearing a Scouters dress uniform. I don't think you'll find ANY Scouts wearing one. Although you are technically correct. :)
Rick Tyler
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 575, Chief Seattle Council
OA, Wood Badge, Merit Badge Guy, &c.
Rick Tyler
Life

Postby cubbobwhite » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:16 pm

I do and so do many of the older members of my council.
Leslie (in Michigan)
Cubmaster - Pack 101
Council Training Chairman
Blue Water Council
cubbobwhite
Second Class

Postby dad69 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:24 pm

Okay, I give.
What is a dress uniform?
dad69
Second Class

PreviousNext