Uniforms when traveling

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Uniforms when traveling

Postby t305spl » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:30 am

When should the scouts where their class A's on trips?
t305spl
Eagle

Postby optimist » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:44 am

Our troop rule is simple -- Always! The only exception is when the Scout uniform will not be worn at any other time on the trip.

For example, if we are going on a backpacking trip and we're simply driving straight to the trailhead and then straight home without any public activities (tours, meetings, ceremonies, etc), then bringing the uniform doesn't serve much purpose so we don't wear them while traveling.
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby t305spl » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:57 am

I feel when we are on tours like in boston for example we should be in almost full class A. What do you think?
t305spl
Eagle

Postby optimist » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:04 am

Absolutely :D
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:05 am

Class A / full uniform is needed anytime you are exposed to the public.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby t305spl » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:29 am

See my troops new im the oldest in it. Everyone including the adults are still on a cub scout level. So they complain even some of the adults too when I decide to wear full uniform in public. Is there anything I could say to them to make them have to wear it?
t305spl
Eagle

Postby optimist » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:10 am

I don't know if talking to them is necessary. Just continue to provide the example and give them some time.
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby t305spl » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:15 am

No i mean when I tell them class A they complain and ask why, what should I say? Also we are going to boston soon, this is a troop family campout as well as our troop campout. When weare in boston should we wear uniform?
t305spl
Eagle

Postby optimist » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:52 am

There are no magic words to speak. Providing the example will speak loudly.

Do the members simply not have uniforms? You can't make them wear what they don't have.

If they have uniforms, are they wearing them to the weekly meetings? If not, why not? They're coming to the meetings so I assume they like Scouting. The uniform is part of the program. If they won't wear uniforms to meetings out of the public eye, don't expect them to wear uniforms in public.

Find a local troop that wears their uniform all the time. Have some joint activities. If the Scouts in your troop show up out of uniform while the others are in theirs, that will be huge peer pressure.
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby scoutmasterbob » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:10 pm

This is how I handle it.

Policemen wear uniforms to be recognized as Policemen, Firemen and military do so for the same reason.

We wear Scout Uniforms to be recognized as Scouts.

Let me quote from a newspaper article from the Deseret News April 22, 2000. It is Talking about the Utah Jazz.

The Jazz way is old school. It is about little things; it is wearing your socks the same length, it is shoes the same color as your teammates' shoes, it is tucking in your shirt and keeping it there, it is having your shoes tied at all times, it is staying dressed after a game until the coach has spoken, it is leaving the court prmptly after the final buzzer sounds, it is about respect and discipline and team.
Coach Jerry Sloan covers the subject during the first team meeting of each season. He lays down the law. Right from the start, everything up front.
If he calls you off the bench to send you into a game and your shirt is untucked or your shoes are not tied, he will tell you to sit back down......He even specifies where players sit for time outs, from left to right, guard, guard, center, forward, forward.
"Its about being professional" says Slaon's asistant Gordon Chiesa.

The entire article is around 2 pages long, I use this at roundtable to help the leaders understand how important uniforming is.

One thing I do, is if we are going to a campout or out somewhere in public I alwys tell them, "your uniform is your ticket on the bus, no uniform no ride" and it works.

If anyone would like a copy of the Utah Jazz article, shoot me an email and Ill send you acopy.
Bob Torkelson
Scoutmaster Troop 538
www.wx5troop538.homestead.com
Roundtable Staff since 1994
Eagle-1983
Woodsbadge-2000
Fox Patrol
Live The Oath!
scoutmasterbob
Star

Postby Lynda J » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:24 pm

Our boys and leades are required to wear their uniforms when traveling.
We have a rack in the trailor with hangers. If they are not required to wear the uniform at the event they take it off when we get there and hang them in the trailor. I think it is best that when traveling people know we are Scouts. I also think sometimes it makes the boys act better.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby optimist » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:30 pm

scoutmasterbob wrote:Let me quote from a newspaper article from the Deseret News April 22, 2000.

I went to desnews.com and guess what... Their online archives only go back to June 12, 2000 :(

Do you have a copy you can email me? I agree, that would be a great tool :)
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby Lynda J » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:39 pm

When I was working with Cubs we had the same problem. We started a award program using a Den Totum board. Each Den that had everyone in at least their uniorm shirt received a bead for each member (including adults). If they had their hat and scarf they got additional beads. At the end of the month the Den with the most beads got an ice cream party. Guess what after about 3 months we ended up simply doing a Pack party. So we added another type of reward. The boys had fun because they got to put the beads on their totums. And we had almost everyone at Den meetings and Pack meetings in uniform. We didn't require BSA pants or shorts because of the expense. But shirts, scarves, hats.
It ws fun. With the troop our boys all wear their uniforms to all meetings. Including merit badge workshops.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby don » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:46 pm

You should not be requiring scouts to wear uniforms. A scout does not have to have or wear a unfiorm to be a scout. As leaders we should be using positve ideas and ways, so that scouts wear the uniform.
What is a Class A uniform, I looked at the handbook and could not find anything about Class A uniform? Is it in the SM handbook? :roll:
don
Star

Postby t305spl » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:37 pm

What we call Class A is BSA recognized as the Field Uniform.
t305spl
Eagle

Postby t305spl » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:39 pm

Scoutmasterbob can you e-mail me a copy of that article I would love to read it.
t305spl
Eagle

Postby t305spl » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:44 pm

I just finished talking to another scoutmaster and he said he thinks it might be said by insurancethat we have to wear class a when travelling. Has anyone heard that? :?
t305spl
Eagle

Postby scoutmasterbob » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:50 pm

Try this link:
http://www.desnews.com/cgi-bin/libstory_reg?dn00&0004240110

I will also email it to you as well t305spl.
Bob Torkelson
Scoutmaster Troop 538
www.wx5troop538.homestead.com
Roundtable Staff since 1994
Eagle-1983
Woodsbadge-2000
Fox Patrol
Live The Oath!
scoutmasterbob
Star

Postby hops_scout » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:55 pm

SPL, they are absolutely wrong!!! BSA's libilaty insurance is in place at all times on a Scouting event. The only time it wouldnt be is if the people are not following BSA policy.
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:01 pm

What are they trying to Hide by not wearing the Uniform?If you are in uniform people are usually more considerate of the Group also try to go to the Jamboree not in Uniform. If you are traveling as scouts then you need to look like scouts.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Next

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies