National Jamboree Uniform shirts

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

National Jamboree Uniform shirts

Postby kvd » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:01 pm

2 of my scouts went to the National Jamboree. Since then, they wear the shirts with the numerals of the troop they were in for the Jamboree. This bothers me somewhat, because it's almost like they're "showing off" that they were at Jamboree, and the other boys' weren't.

Am I within my rights as SM to make them wear the numerals of our troop?
kvd
Tenderfoot

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 pm

It is just like wood badge when you get home you are back to your troop Numbers etc.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby cballman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:32 pm

well here is my take on this one.. when a scout or leader goes above and beyond the troop level even if it is going to jambo or woodbadge then I think it is a great thing. if you tell the kids or adults that we must all have the same number on the shirt I underestand but then again it might also have someone ask the question or questions as how can i get to do that? it might also be that yes they are proud of what they accomplish and they might boast a little but then again maybe later on it gives the younger scouts something to look forward to. so i would lighten up on the kids and maybe they have some good experiances to talk about and maybe have some insight on how to get the troop to work better together. just my humble opinion.
cballman

Changing Numbers

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:45 am

You mean to tell me that when I get to go to Woodbadge this fall, I have to take off my troop number and put on new Woodbadge Troop number for the weekend, then put my normal troop numbers for the Monday night meeting?
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Thanks. I see the board is split

Postby kvd » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:07 pm

as I am as well. :lol:

In the time that the boys did wear the Jambo troop number, they did do a presentation at a Court of Honor about what took place there. Unfortunately, neither of this kids will be salesmen, as they talked about the heat, mosquitoes, etc. rather than the experiences.

I'm still torn. I hear both sides and understand them. But I'm leaning toward making them put our troop numbers back on. To me, it's no different than position of leadership. My son still wore his SPL patch, 6 months after his term finished. He's now quartermaster, but was proud of being SPL and wore the patch. Until, one ASM asked him to organize the troop at an outing, etc. typical SPL duties. He said "but I'm not SPL, he should know that." My response is "A private can't wear a 5-star General's badge of rank. If you want the people to know what your position is, wear that patch."
kvd
Tenderfoot

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:38 pm

Ed just to let you know evryone at wood badge wears their council strip,and troop 1 All other items must be removed from the uniform for the duration of the course. No knots, no flaps .no trained emblems Nothing! Everyone is the same ,on even ground and that is including staff. AS far as changing weekend to weekend no You wear the Wood Badge uniform until the course is over. Actually when I was working a course I always kept one uniform for Wood Badge Ceremonieas as That is the Uniform a Staff member is to wear at a Ceremony. AND That sometimes was two years or more.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby cballman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:39 pm

actually in our woodbadge course you wear the uniform that you would normally wear as the position that you are in scouting. before the woodbadge of the 21 century course I beleive that you had a uniform with nothing on it but the number 1 for woodbadge. maybe a council strip but i think that is all. now that times have changed for woodbadge I would expect them to change for jambo also. but then again i have been wrong before and will probley be wrong again :shock:
cballman

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:24 pm

You might be right about the New Wood Badge. like everything else in scout they fold to complaints and winers.On one course I was on a lady did come with everything she was told and she refused. During the night her patrol did what was necessary. She was almost sent home because of it. I really liked the idea of a plain uniform. It made everyone use their resources to find out about the other person.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby cballman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:47 pm

well with a plain uniform everybody starts out and has no clue as to what position or things they have earned in scouting. so its almost like they are equal in all. now they then have to learn about each other and if the uniform is full of adornments then someone might look and say wow I will never be like that or wow he is something special. or then again they might be like me and just want to know how to do things right and for the boys. wow a novel idea learn something to help better our troops and or scouting in general.
cballman

Postby scoutchallenge » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:37 pm

I have two responses:

Jambo and kids uniforms: I think it's important that one of the jambo uniforms be kept for future use. Our Jambo committee has the Scouts working the Council Awards Dinner next month. We expect the kids to be in their Jamboree Uniforms. But, by this time everyboy should have return one shirt back to the troop number and rank. The only patch that should remain on the shirt is above the right pocket. (99.9% sure)

Wood Badge: When I went we wore our troop/district/council shirt. I think that it was useful to know what experience the other people had. If they were cubscout leaders then their out look would be different then a council member. I don't think that we used the troop information negatively at all. But number 1's would have been good too.
scoutchallenge
First Class

Postby FrankJ » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:07 pm

Wood Badge: Maybe this varies by council. When I took it last spring the participants wore their regular field uniform with whatever patches they had.. The instructors wore a plain field uniform without position patches or achievement knots. The logic being they were all equal.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Don't need no stinkin' patches?

Postby riverwalk » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:02 am

Haha, and if the new WB is what I hear it is, then background doesn't matter anyway. In fact, they aren't looking for veterans as they once did, but inviting everyone.

And on the patch changin' issue, there's always velcro.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Do you see double?

Postby riverwalk » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:04 am

Sorry web, about the extra posting. Many puter problems (and operator problems) here. Feel free to strike one.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:32 am

I have used velcro for years ,also for knots I use a knitting sheet Like little squares in a plastic sheet. Put clutch studs on it tye glue the knots to that. I just change from shirt to shirt.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Scouting179 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:11 pm

Wood Badge For WB staff on courses through end of 2005, you wore a special WB uniform shirt. Starting with ones this year, staffers wear their regular uniform shirt.

And for you who scoff at inviting everyone...is there something wrong with everyone getting trained?
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby Chief J » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:53 am

Not sure where I read this, but I did read it somewhere in the past.

It was aimed at Jamboree 2001 items and wear on the uniform, and if I recall, the policy (orguidelines) were that Scouts and Scouters could wear Jamboree Council Strips, OA Flaps, and the such for 6 months beofre and 6 months aftr the Jamboree. The Jamboree Patch and Activity Segments is to be worn above the right Pocket, and does not have an expiration date. I believe this came from the Insignia guide, but cannot attest to that.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies