What Uniform Changes would the Youth Like To See?

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby Guneukitschik » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:19 pm

If you were around when they had the collarless shirts you would appreciate them more than what we have now! Neckerchief or not...they were I think a lot nicer uniform shirt.

But the neckerchief I highly doubt will be eliminated from the uniform so you better get used to both the neckerchief and bolo being around.
Guneukitschik

Postby BM_Crawford » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:43 pm

I dont know if I've ever seen those ones...
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby Guneukitschik » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:01 am

They are olive green in color and were around in the 1970's and before...
Guneukitschik

Whats up with the "look like the military" concern

Postby jfmod » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:04 pm

I realize I am new, but why do so many worry about scouts looking like military of one type or another?

There must be a reason

One of my former partners sons both were Eagle Scouts who went to service academies. They were both told their Scouting backgropund was a strong plus in their admissions.

The military apparently appreciates Scouting. Am I reading too much into the comments of a few, or is their a wide concern within Scouting about "looking like the military"?

Or are these few just showing their anti-military bias?

PLease help me understand. I am getting reinvolved in Scouting after a long separation and want to know the lay of the land, lest I step on toes needlessly!
Jeffrey Martin, OD, FAAO
Eagle Scout, 1983
jfmod
Scout

Postby BM_Crawford » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:49 pm

Um a reason why scouting and military shouldnt look alike is because they are both under national law permitted to wear a uniform. They are the only two organizations with that priviledge so they'd have to look different.

Another reason why is if you read in the policies it is often stressed that Boy Scouts is not a para military organization (I know you know this I'm just spillin out facts I've read :)) and other stuff like that.

My uncle is an Eagle Scout and it helped him in the military. I believe the reason why it helps you is because scouting talks alot about citizenship to your nation and alot of scouting values fit the constitiution. An example of that is that the Eagle and Sheild on the Scout Symble stands for Freedom and a scouts willingness to defend that Freedom.
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Re: Whats up with the "look like the military" con

Postby optimist » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:43 pm

jfmod wrote:Am I reading too much into the comments of a few, or is their a wide concern within Scouting about "looking like the military"?

Or are these few just showing their anti-military bias?

Actually, you're very close to the bullseye but shooting from the wrong side of the target. The fact is that anti-military bias exists, much more so outside Scouting than within it. We are not the military and it is in our best interest to make sure that those who would identify us in that way have as little fuel for the fire as possible.
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby Guneukitschik » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:23 am

I think many of the Anti-Military comments come from the camoflauge issue... there is really no need for the boy scout uniform to contain or be made of camoflauge material...

The uniform in general is meant for everyone to feel a part of a team/unit.

plus the uniform helps to eliminate the whole "namebrand" rich/poor issue...
Guneukitschik

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:33 am

There is a link in Troop Issues Troop Rules That explains the Camo in detail.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Lynda J » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:02 pm

I agree with the expense of the pants. We have boys in out Troop that simply can not afford 40-50 for a pair of pants. Sorry I resent having to pay that for mine. Our troop decided that dark blue jeans were ok. No camo, no wind jamers. Nice jeans or jean shorts.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby Guneukitschik » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:12 pm

Most troops don't force their scouts to buy/wear the full uniform.
Most only require the shirt. Usually after they have been in scouts for a few years they buy the pants/shorts, etc. However I feel that for an Eagle BOR they must wear the Full Uniform.

Our troop has a uniform exchange program...when a kid grows out of a uniform they turn it in... that way we can help out the kids that aren't as fortunate as some! That way more kids have the full uniform.
Guneukitschik

Postby BM_Crawford » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:16 pm

I dont feel you should need to where a full uniform untill the prices are lowered.
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:41 pm

Never goin to happen get over it.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby BM_Crawford » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:05 pm

I know its not going to happen I'm just saying its quite a bit overpriced!
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby don » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:13 pm

If a troop can decide what a uniform is or is not. (It is spelled out in the Boy Scout Handbook)
Where do you draw the line?
Can troop also change the following methods also?
Ideals
Patrols
Outdoor Programs
Advancement
Personal Growth
Leadership Development

According to the SM handbook a scout does not have to have a uniform to be a scout. BUT leaders should be in uniform.
If a person cannot afford the uniform, that is one thing. But I have given up stuff for scouting, time and monies, because I think it is worth it, if the program is followed.
don
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:22 pm

I realize I am an adult(sometimes) and have quit growing(except my stomach) but I have had the same 2 uniform Shirt sand 1 pair of Pants for 12 years. I have gone through several pair of shorts but my stuff gets hard use. ANd three Jamborees are in the mix and one Philmont Expedition and 4 Wood Badge Courses. The thing is the stuff is really durable. AS the Old Timex Commercial goes " It takes a Lickin and keeps on Tickin"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby BM_Crawford » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:36 pm

OH I believe they should have the shirt. I had to buy a new one but after my pants and socks and shorts out grew me my parents dont want to buy me new ones they say go buy green pants from khols its cheaper lol. I guess its because I grew sooo much soo quick lol. I went from 4 foot to 6 foot in about a year hehe. Anyway I do feel you should have a shirt, bolo, patches ect. But I think pants should be optional.

Thats just my opinion please don't take it to heart.
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby don » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:52 pm

Brian
If a troop can pick there own uniform, what other parts of the aims of scouting can they change also?

Ideals
Patrols
Outdoor Programs
Advancement
Personal Growth
Leadership Development

can they say, this patrol thing is not what we expected, we are not going to have patrols?
Or what if a troop decides that getting Life is to easy, (Advancement) can they add requirements for that rank?
In short where does not madness end :o
don
Star

Postby don » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:04 pm

Brian
Another thought! I am full of them tonight!
You are in the band, right, most bands that perform and prades and halftimes at football games, they are all in uniform. How would they look if they all wore different cuts, colors of pants?
Why doesn't the football team allow different pants or the baseball team?
don
Star

Postby BM_Crawford » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:19 pm

Alright buddy you need to calm down a bit. Don't go master of spas on me.

There's a difference between Marching Band and Scouting. If you think scouting is about the uniform your waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

uniform

Postby cballman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:07 pm

don

I think you are right because when is the last time you seen a football, baseball, basketball, soccer player or band member play without all the parts of the uniform. in our troop we have told the kids and adults to have green pants but not the OFFICAL uniform pants because of the cost. but then I have a child in scouts and in band and another on playing basketball and I understand the cost of uniforms but I will have my kids in uniform because we buy all kinds of junk for birthdays so why not throw in a pair of uniform pants instead of another gamecube. :shock: then Christmas comes along wow another time to slip something scouting in instead of a bunch of games for the new xbox game they couldnt live without. wow we have just saved money because when we give scouting gifts at these times they seem to last longer than the toys we buy. after the first year most boys will havean Offical class A uniform because he most of the time has chosen scouting and is happy being a scout. now to tell a child or a family that cant afford a complete uniform that they cannot be a scout is the worst thing we as adult leaders can do. I will have someone go find this child a uniform shirt as long as he stays in scouts we will find uniform parts for this family. Now tell someone to try that with sports or band and find out how many will be around? Just a little bit of my wisdom of scouting.
cballman

PreviousNext

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies