What Uniform Changes would the Youth Like To See?

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby BM_Crawford » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:30 pm

with the exception of the shirt I mean, forgot to add that!
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

uniform

Postby cballman » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:23 pm

having seen all sides of this story our troop does a fishing outing with the rotary club of Lexington KY. yes all scouts are asked to be in a class A uniform as presented in the scout handbook. now after about 5 to 7 years of this our troop is nationaly known. to all the rotary clubs in the US have ask how they could get scouts to help out with some of their things and they always show up with bits and pieces of uniforms. now that is all the troops require but it makes you proud to have 30-50 scouts show up in class A uniform then you can be proud to say Yes I Am a Scout.
cballman

Postby optimist » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:46 am

Uniforming is a specifically identified method of Scouting, a tool to make Scouting a better program. It is a part of the program just like the other seven methods: advancement, ideals, patrols, outdoors, adult association, personal growth, and leadership development. Someone said that policies are just guidelines, the implication being that uniforming is unimportant, even optional. If that statement was true, if it's okay to consider that policy, that method, optional, then wouldn't all eight of the methods of Scouting be optional? I don't think so.

BTW I'm fat as a house and look terrible in a Scouting uniform (Hey!Look! A blimp with a little American flag on the side!) but I always wear it anyway :lol:
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby BM_Crawford » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:07 pm

LOL! Optimist that was hillarious! I see where you are going though I just hope someday they can lift the prices a bit hehe. Because, for a growing boy those pants sometimes wont last a week lol, I would know the way I went through pants last year.
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:18 pm

In most troops you have big boys and little boys as the Big boys grow out of their pants they pass them down to the little boys. I would assume this would not be a problem for a scout since apparently they grow out of them before they wear them to read some of the comments here. If it works out that during your scouting career you neeed to buy two or three uniforms that is not bad for 8 years.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

A horse of a different color?

Postby riverwalk » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:23 pm

:?: Yeah, I'm late-a-comin' to this topic, but I like Uniform issues. I always promote a Unit starting a "clothes closet" to help others. These seem less common than in the past, but I guess it's because we have ebay :lol: . I've supported, and been involved, where Committees set up their policies on Uniforming. Some things have to be in place to satisfy our Program functions. Some other things can be more flexible. Why keep kids out just because of costs.

I didn't read every post in the five pages, but I like the suggestion of gear designed for the outdoors (I think Philmont was part of that example). I liked the older khaki green Uniforms I grew up with, but now I have to hunt them on the "e-place". I like the current color schemes fine, I just like what I was first exposed to and that's fairly normal :roll: . Some may not care for the thought of BDU styles, but they are functional and have better cargo pockets. I believe in wearing the official Uniform as it makes us more of a Unit (belonging thing). It can help in accountability situations, and emergency mobilizations/disaster drills. But if it's lousy (extreme) weather, I may be in what I think I must wear.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby West » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:41 pm

I have an old shirt that I've started wearing. I have no idea when it's from, but it's 100% wool. Quite nice for the winter let me tell you. I think we need to get back to uniforms that can be worn when scouts are out doing things. As things stand they are worthless for anything more then a meeting.
West
Life

Postby West » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:44 pm

The e-bay thing bugs me. To me it's just part of scouts that you pass your old uniform on to someone else who needs it. Or it you don't know someone it goes to goodwill or the salvation army. Note that there is nothing wrong with checking these places before buying your own uniform either.
West
Life

"Recycling" of Uniforms.

Postby riverwalk » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:40 pm

Yeah, that's why I favor a Unit/District having a clothes closet. However as I'm on ebay TOO often huntin' for my collections, I also look at these. I look for the collectible shirts/patches, that most sellers don't realize what they have. I have also grabbed adult shirts there, as spares for outings and stuff. I'm now working on a "spoof" shirt, that looks a little like the old green ones. But it will have patches (unofficial) that bring attention to Uniforming, collecting, etc. I hope to wear it to cracker barrels to spark conversation, haha. :wink:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Re: "Recycling" of Uniforms.

Postby Elangomat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:15 pm

[quote="riverwalk"]I'm now working on a "spoof" shirt, that looks a little like the old green ones. But it will have patches (unofficial) that bring attention to Uniforming, collecting, etc.[quote]
Lol, that was my idea! Great minds think alike, huh?

Anyway, one thing I, as a youth, would like to see is longer sleeves for the shirts and longer legs for the pants and the shorts. I know it's only fashion, but the shorts thing bother me so I don't wear them when at camp where it can hit upwards 100 degrees... in the shade! Other than that, the price (although not anything I can change) is the only problem iI see
Yours in Scouting,
-Elangomat

"He who serves his fellows is of all his fellows greatest." -E. Urner Goodman

I'm an Eagle Scout now! :)
Elangomat
Second Class

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:42 pm

Elangomat, I agree about lengthening the shorts. I have long legs, and my scout shorts are above the knee. I don't really care about the fashion part, I'm just used to longer shorts, so scout shorts feel weird.

P.S. welcome to the board!
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:44 pm

hey riverwalk, check out the patches at the usscouts online store.
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Uniforms , etc......

Postby eagle71 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:27 pm

The Class A uniform serves a good purpose , we should have some functional Class B , but a class A , helps you stay proud of what you are and what you have accomplished . My first scout uniform was a hand me down from my big brother , I took care of it like it was brand new .
Part of the thought process is to be prepared , for the next meeting , make sure your uniform is washed and looking good .....I will have a clean shirt and suit ready for work tommorrow ......I wonder where i learned that ?
Greg White
Circle ten Council
Western Star
eagle71
Scout

changes to uniform

Postby vrenetaylor » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:05 pm

interesting how a post about what changes we would like to see to the uniform becomes a argument for wearing the uniform at all. back to the topic again, most of the boys i've talked to would like the pants to have more room in them more like typical cargo pants with bigger pockets and roomier legs, easier to move in. and i have to agree they arent very action friendly.
vrenetaylor

Postby diamondbackAPL » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:16 pm

get a less geeky hat definately I dont even have one. our troop doesnt really care about uniform unles its like coh then you wear the whole thing or traveling then you just wear the shirt and get like a necklace or something cause the neckerchiefs are too hot
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

And for my next trick...

Postby riverwalk » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:12 am

I do many of the things billvan does at meetings. I select different neckerchiefs, temporary patches, and slides....to keep the inspiration up.

And if one wears the long sleeved shirt, remember that neckwear is required.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Previous

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies