What Uniform Changes would the Youth Like To See?

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

What Uniform Changes would the Youth Like To See?

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:18 pm

Just curious what the Youth would like to see in uniform changes. The "older youth"( I am 16 in a 55 year old body) can put in their 2 cents worth also but it is the boys that count. At the Jamboree each time they have meeting where we can put input into the program and uniforms are one of the issues they will address there.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hops_scout » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:21 pm

I'd like to see OD BDUs, the tan shirt, the red beret OR garrison cap, black boots/shoes, and white gloves as the dress uniform.

The uniform for troop meetings everything but the gloves.

The uniform for the field just switching the beret for a boonie hat.
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby Guneukitschik » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:24 am

Well....although that sounds more practical that the current uniform...it seems a bit too military!
Guneukitschik

Postby scoutmasterbob » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:17 am

We had a "request" from parents to explore a cheaper alternative to the Official Scout pants. Their opinion was that it was too expensive, 30-40 dollars, to buy pants that would only be worn to scouts, and would be out grown before they worn out.
So, we put it to the patrol and let them make some suggestions. We decided to wear green camoflage pants as part of our uniform.
I know there a policies concerning this, but it has been a great success with our troop.
The pants are cheaper than the scout pants, and the boys can wear them for activities other than scout activities.
We wore them at camp this year, and we looked great, the whole troop at the flag ceremony, looking uniform, it was great.

We have an all Tongan troop in our district and they voted to wear lava lavas as part of their uniform, a lava lava is a colorful wrap worn in Tonga, it resembles a (sorry about this description Tongans) long skirt.

The point is it was voted on by the patrol and all agreed.
Bob Torkelson
Scoutmaster Troop 538
www.wx5troop538.homestead.com
Roundtable Staff since 1994
Eagle-1983
Woodsbadge-2000
Fox Patrol
Live The Oath!
scoutmasterbob
Star

Postby Guneukitschik » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:43 am

I definately agree that the pants/shorts need revamped....the pockets are currently way too small to be useful...perhaps something similar to what you are saying...I don't know if BDU's are the way to go...but something similar in design seems to make the most sense!
Guneukitschik

Postby BM_Crawford » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:21 pm

Um I dont know if they still sell the smaller Boy Scout Socks but I think that might be a good idea. I never owned the kind that go up to your knees and I know I wouldnt like them...lol
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:34 am

You really should check out the "official Philmont shorts"... Really nice.

Also, I wish I could still get the old thin, OTC socks, with the garters and tabs.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Billvann » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:57 am

I know you're looking for input from youth, but I feel compelled to jump in here with some observations.

First, scout uniforms should be made with synthetic materials that are more "outing friendly." New fabric technology has advanced to the point where it's almost comical to scouts in the field with cotton clothing. (it is good to see synthetic hiking sock finally)

Second, Synthetic zip-off pants that can be worn all year round intsead of a separate pants for cold weather and shorts for warm weather.

Third, our Philmont crew stopped at the Scouting Museum in Raton, NM while waiting for the Amtrak train. I over heard several scouts commenting that they preferred the look of the green, pre-1970's uniform over the current uniform. They said that the older uniform looked more like "scouts."
Willie Vannerson
ASM Troop 149
McHenry, IL
Billvann
First Class

Postby optimist » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:01 pm

I like Billvann's comments. These items may be more expensive, especially at first, but my guess is that eventually the better gear would be more popular despite increased cost.

However, please keep in mind that many Scouts will outgrow gear before the end of their useful life, and even though we might like this better gear, many parents may balk :(
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:56 pm

What is funny is we are talking about parents that will slap down 100.00 for a pair of gym shoes that last 2 months but will not spend 60.00 on a complete unform. I really like the zip off pants for uniforms and I would like to see the old V neck summer shirt come back. But it does require a necherchief.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hops_scout » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:11 pm

:evil: Those comparisions are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay old. I dont disagree with you that 100 shoes are too much, but you cant get complete uniform: shirt, socks, pants, belt, hat, etc for 60 either. I was on scoutstuff.org the other day and went through to figure it all out. Everything I needed to make another uniform was 130!!! I dont like that idea either
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby Billvann » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:52 am

wagionvigil wrote:... I would like to see the old V neck summer shirt come back. But it does require a necherchief.

A small side benifit of the V-neck shirt is that it almost forces you to wear a necherchief. We have some scouts who frequently slack off and don't wear one to meetings. It's easy to avoid with the collared shirt.

Back in the day... :wink: , it was part of the fun to collect different neckerchiefs and wear a different one to each meeting. It's a small tradition that I still maintain today, as well as rotate slides and pocket patches. Sometimes the older scouts will ask about them and it give me a chance to pass on some old stories and traditions.
Willie Vannerson
ASM Troop 149
McHenry, IL
Billvann
First Class

Postby Guneukitschik » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:03 am

I would have to agree...the collar gets in the way! I see more and more units that wear bolos in lieu of a neckerchief. But I think that the neckerchief looks a lot better!

A collarless shirt would be great!

Hey Hops...have you ever heard of EBAY? you can sometimes get a deal on uniforms! Check around your area at second hand stores too...a lot of parents sell the uniforms there when their kids out grow them.
Guneukitschik

Postby JimmyD » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:21 pm

I like the bolo ties. I think they make you look more professional. Plus i think there easier to wear.
JimmyD

Postby Guneukitschik » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:36 pm

Nobody said that life was easy......anyway once you get used to a neckerchief they are not difficult at all....

I think the neckerchief has traditionally be more representative of Scouting the world over....

I like the bolo too....and usually wear one to meetings and activities.

But if I had to redesign the uniform....I would eliminate the collar....or at the very least make it an option and have two shirt styles....one with a collar and one without a collar.
Guneukitschik

uniforms

Postby cballman » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:41 am

the most expensive shirt I wear is my scout shirt because of when you are and old foggie you have to buy ALL the patches to put on the shirt which then makes it really expensive. as for the pants I might hurt some feelings on this but here it is. as many pants that are sold each year it would make sense that scouting could contract with some company and get the things don a whole lot cheaper. but then that might make to much scence. then the neckercheif if they would make on that fit us full figured scouter a little better than maybe we could push it again since it is still one of the most useful parts of the uniform.
cballman

Postby Rick Tyler » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:12 pm

First, it's been a couple or three decades since I've been a youth member of BSA, so this is another old fogie opinion.

I am not as concerned about the cost of the uniform parts as their utility -- especially the pants. Nice olive-drab zip-off nylon pants with at least four front and two rear pockets would look just about the same as the current outdoor-unfriendly pants, and would be very useful in the outdoors.

I like the current khaki uniform shirt for indoor meetings and as a holder for patches, but wouldn't mind seeing an nylon official khaki outdoor shirt with big pockets and button-up sleeves (maybe with a silk-screened BSA logo on the breast, and smaller "outdoor" patches for patrol leaders, senior PLs, troop numbers and patrol identification??). I think it would defeat the utility of a nylon outdoor shirt to cover it in big patches like many a BSA "Chilean Admiral" shirt. Whether to use the official Field Outdoor Shirt would be up to individual units. On the other hand, I might be wrong, and it would not hurt a nylon camp shirt to sew patches all over it. Military guys sew patches on their uniforms and it doesn't seem to hurt them. Real outdoor use would be a good reason to go back to the smaller office patches of the past. (My sons laughed at my tiny SPL and PL patches in my old Boy Scout box. I just told them that we were real scouts and didn't need big patches to prove it ... :wink: )

My own opinion would be to avoid camouflage patterns, as I really don't want Scouts looking like Marine LLRPs.

Does anyone really know if National is reconsidering the current uniform?
Rick Tyler
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 575, Chief Seattle Council
OA, Wood Badge, Merit Badge Guy, &c.
Rick Tyler
Life

Postby BM_Crawford » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:26 pm

I'm a big supporter of the Bolo I do think they are alot easier and look just as nice. I hated the neckercheif in cub scouts and I didnt think it was very comfortable lol.
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:29 pm

The Problem with eliminating the neckerchief is that it part of scouting tradition and history as it at one time served a purpose. ALso the Old Green summer uniform shirt had no collar and was open to about breast level on your chest and you had to wear a neckerchief with it.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby BM_Crawford » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:04 pm

oh I agree we should keep the bolo's I was just stating that I personally am much more comfortable in a bowlow and I like 'em :)
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Next

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies