Custom Patrol Patches?

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Custom Patrol Patches?

Postby fritz1255 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:12 am

Can't be the first time this subject has come up, but I couldn't find anything about it in this forum. Anybody know of a good source for a reasonable number (a dozen or less) of custom-made patrol patches made from something like a JPEG file? All the places I have found that do them are rather expensive due to the fact that the logos are embroidered, and there is some type of setup involved. Seems to me that it would work almost as well to do it by some sort of process similar to a tee-shirt transfer, but obviously finding a tiny iron would be a problem. Perhaps a soldering iron?
fritz1255
Life

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:52 pm

Sometimes if you look hard enough and explain what you need, some patch companies and even some tshirt companies may just make them up for free. For our troop, we had a patrol based off the Avengers. Whom if you dont know, is a side group based off of the Marvel Universe. The scout who led the patrol took the initiative to go to several places around the metro detroit area (where we live again) and explain that he needed this certain design on the blank patch. He got several prices to do up to 20, though he only needed 4.

Alot of companies only will do them in bulk. However, if you know how to play the game real well, some companies will make up sample patches in the same size with your design, either in a color that they have alot of or in black.
Making a long story short, he found a company who was willing to do it because the boy was part of boy scouts.

Depending on the number of patches some companies if you ask the right way will do it for a low price, if any.
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
Troop 1589 Assistant Scoutmaster & First Year Program Director
Detroit Area Council Merit Badge Councilor
EagleBoy62204
Life

Postby Mrw » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:29 pm

Our one patrol bought the blank patches, named themselves "The Patrol". Their yell is "Yell" and their flag is yellow and currently blank. It said "FLAG", but the letters came off in the rain once and got lost.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Lynda J » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:27 pm

Mrw. I love it.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby deweylure » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:07 pm

You can make a custom patch using your home computer printer and an clothes iron. Search the net for a picture of the animal you want .I searched an american Indian symbols sight. The pictographs are not copy protected. Down load the picture then print it on on Iron on paper.
Its available at office depot. Size it to fit a blank meritbadge patch about a 1 inch picture. Follow the ironing directions works great cost $10.00.
You can get I thing 30 -40 patches. The same picture can be blown up then printed fro a patrol flag.

Deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby fritz1255 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:06 am

That's the type of solution I was looking for (iron-on paper). We'll try it - not much to lose. Hate to spend a bunch of $ on custom-embroidered patches when the Patrol name could change again in 6 months. How did the iron-on transfers look on the patches?
fritz1255
Life

Postby Hamish17 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:41 pm

Seem to remember seeing at the BSA Scout Stuff site that you could get custom Patrol patches from them if you sent the artwork. Can't find it now, I'll keep looking. Anyone remember this?
Scout Dad 1757
Life - ASPL
Hamish17
Second Class

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:44 am

yeah, I remember seeing that in the scout catalog, but not online. I'll go look.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby Chief J » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:52 am

We had a patrol do custom patches. They ordered them through the Scout Shop. They had to provide the color artwork. It was a bit pricier than the standard patrol patches, but it was their wish, and the kids in the patrol all paid for their patches.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby FearLess » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:35 pm

Well, this is what I found...

http://classb.com/patches/patrol-stock.html?g1ba

Click on "custom patrol emblem" to make your own.

:D
Antelope Patrol Leader
Life Scout
Working on that Eagle Project :D

Who I Am Hates Who I've Been - Relient K
FearLess
Second Class

Postby deweylure » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:29 pm

The patrol patches made on the computer were done with black ink on the white paper. The pictograph was then trimmed around its outline . The black with a little white stands out nicely on the tan blank patches.

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby jac0033 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:28 am

I recently found this forum, what a great asset. I have been SM for less than one year and still trying to get the hang of the program. Our troop recently had a reduction in size because of inactive or uninterested boys. We have made the decsion to go from 4 patrols down to 2. Each patrol now has 10 scouts in each. I know that may be a bit large but we will also lose 6 more within the year due the 18 and out rule. So for right now we will work with 2 patrols.

My question on this thread is about custom patrol emblems. One patrol wants to be the Ace of Spades patrol. Is there any guideline for choosing a patrol emblem? I searched most of the internet(just kidding) and have not found any help. Our CC says they can only choose a patrol emblem available at the scout shop. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post ;-)
jac0033
Second Class

Postby gwd-scouter » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:38 am

jac - I don't think there is a restriction on designing your own patrol patches. Can't find anything in the insignia guide about it. I've seen a lot of custom made patrols patches over the years.

(Of course, as someone will probably point out, just because I've seen them doesn't mean it is correct.)

Congrats on stepping up to SM. I've been SM for a bit less than 2 years and I'm still learning too.

Good luck with your troop.
gwd-scouter
Star

Postby FrankJ » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:04 am

The advantage of a standard patch is you can always get it from the scout shop (if it is in stock :cry:) With computerized embroidery machines, making custom patches is simple. You can provide them a computer image of what you want. Most companies have a minimun order of 50 or so which would give you a lifetime supply. Google emboidery patches.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:41 pm

Here is another option to try for your custom patches. Many of the higher-end sewing machines can do embroidery. You just program in the design you want, and it will embroider the design for you. It may be complicated to do multiple colors, but it is possible.

I know several people who have machines capable of doing a custom embroidered logo. Many of whom would probably do a small quantity for free. You would just have to buy the blank patch.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby jac0033 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:48 pm

Just a follow up question to my earlier post. Can a patrol choose a custom patrol patch and still stay in BSA guidelines? The patrol wants to be called "ACES" and use the ace of spades as the patrol patch. I really want them to choose the patrol name of their own choice, not just have to choose one from the scout shop if it is not what they want. The patrol method has gone flat in our troop and I see as way to start rebuilding the patrol method again.

Any thoughts or comments?
SM, MC
C-33-05
Eagle Patrol
jac0033
Second Class

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:58 am

That is the idea of custom patches. We always has a Buzzard Patrol in our troop.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:46 am

The answer is yes you can do custom patches & name your patrol anything that doesn't violate the scout law. Taking ownership of the patrol is a building block of creating a boy run troop. If that takes a custom patch, I am all for it.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby jac0033 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:18 pm

Thanks for the information. I will help the patrol find the patches that they need.
SM, MC
C-33-05
Eagle Patrol
jac0033
Second Class

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies