How to get a mouthguard for CPR

What you need, where to find it, and what you may already have.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

How to get a mouthguard for CPR

Postby boy_scout5 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:09 pm

There is an easy way to get a mouthguard device for CPR, its required for the first aid merit badge, and for second class (indirectly). I found it very hard to find, but I asked an ambulance guy at a fair, and I got one. Was there an easier way?

I still need scissors...
A signature is a signature, nothing more, nothing less. I don't have the time to form my own, so I type things about signatures in my signature!
boy_scout5
Scout

Postby TenderfootMom » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:43 pm

This is so funny that you posted this topic. Last week, when my son went off to camp for the 1st time, I went crazy looking for a mouth barrier. I almost sent him with mine since I received one at the last CPR course I took through the Girl Scouts. Now, if I had been a "true" scout and followed the "Be Prepared" motto, I would have ordered one through one of the many internet first aid sites but no, I waited until the last minute. :shock: I did finally find one in Ramsey Outdoor store but your answer to this dilema was even better. Wish I had thought of this!

Why is it so hard to find the first aid supplies needed for Boy Scouts? None in Wal-mart, Target, CVS, etc. I still need to find a bunch of things on the list including scissors!
TenderfootMom
Scout

Postby ASM-142 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:04 am

The best resource for these things is a medical supply store which in my town is part of a pharmacy.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Lynda J » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:04 am

When Kevin needed to get his he went by the nearest fire hall. They gave him two, one for him and one for our troop first aid kit. They also offered to send someone to teach CPR to the boys.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby deweylure » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:10 pm

Walgeens carries them as well as REI outdoor store. Also check the web.
deweylure
Eagle

Barrier devices

Postby riverwalk » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:43 pm

Yeah, known as barrier devices, these are found many places today. Several good suggestions were listed, and should work around the Country. Any course you take should also know sources for your gloves, and barriers. While official Emergency Service people are usually instructed NOT to recommend any product or store, they can often give some good direction for local needs.

Our Council now partners with the ARC for an annual training, designed to help Scouters have the emergency skills needed. ARC stores offer many of these types of products, at reasonable prices. 8)

Here's my reminder, you may have read before, haha. Any First Aid item you buy (like a kit), doesn't mean you're "prepared". Besides training and awareness issues, please learn what's in a kit, how it works, and where to replace it. :wink: :idea:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Can you CUT it???

Postby riverwalk » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:52 pm

Scissors.....I forgot to mention them, haha. Okay, most people would think of these for emergency kits, but First Aid scissors/shears often have special features. Very often, and definately in Emergency Services, shears used have an offset or angled design. This permits cutting bandages/clothing next to the body, while permitting room for your hand to operate the shears. And these usually have a safety design to the cutting area (like a small flange kinda sorta), allowing cutting to be made without further injury, yikes!

Now, where are these found? Very often in the same places as kits/supplies. What is very common in my Field, are large handled versions coming in several colors. So you can go color coordinated....if that matters, haha. These same shears are found in MANY stores today. They're heavy duty enough to cut pennies (advertised this way too), but DON'T do that :? :shock: And these are now at grocery stores, for cutting chickens or whatever. One can find these on ebay too, or in any supply catalog you have for medical supplies.

:)
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:22 am

The best resource for these things is a medical supply store which in my part of town is also a large pharmacy
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby hacimsaalk » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:06 am

in our community, we get them from the ambulance service, after we complete the cpr course. it also helps that my mom is the CPR instructor :D . thats how we get ours. i would just reccommend going to any ambulance setvice and asking for them, or seeing if they could order them.
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby WhtHawk » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:07 am

Where I grew up, the Ambulance service gave them away. I have also ordered specialty masks (has an O2 inlet) from my local pharmacy.
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." -- Wilhelm Steckel
WhtHawk
Tenderfoot

Postby t305spl » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:41 pm

The best ones to get are just pocket mouth gaurds for scouts. You dont need any with special things i.e. ones that can be reused, ones to hook up to O2.

The best place to buy bulk is online. You can get nice ones at a good price. You can also buy individual.

I would also recommend not carrying around First Aid gear that you do not know how to use all of the functions it has properly. For scouts go simple.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby jk » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:23 pm

As a distributor of first aid supplies for a living I can tell you that the full face masks are easier to use.
VS
a barrier shield

http://www.pac-kit.com/WebCatg2.asp?Cat ... at1ID=1151[/img]
jk

Postby longhorneagle » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:26 pm

Try your local Red Cross office
David
ASM, Eagle Scout
Bobwhite SR-763

"It's not the badges earned, it's the lessons learned"
longhorneagle
Second Class