Packmaster Software

What you need, where to find it, and what you may already have.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Packmaster Software

Postby dd » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Our pack is currently considering purchasing the Packmaster Software. I just wondered if anyone of you guys utilize this and how well it is working for your pack. Our troop is also considering the Troopmaster Software. I believe we can just transfer records once the boys cross over.

Thanks for any help.
dd
Scout

Postby teepeeayy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:36 am

dd: Our council gave it away to Packs for a period of time. The only requirement was that someone show up to a training session at one of the monthly roundtables. Check with your DE.

Our CM used it primarliy for re-charter, but it is useful, so with or without a district giveaway, I'd get it.
Terry
teepeeayy
First Class

Postby vpalango » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:19 am

dd:

Packmaster/Troopmaster are great pieces of software for keeping track of pack/troop records. The most useful functions (IMHO) are...

1) Re-Chartering: Both pieces of software automate the re-charter process. They keep track of the rules for adult leadership, so that you don't suddenly get a phone call saying something like "Joe Smith can't be both the Committee Chair & Cubmaster".

2) Awards Tracking: This is great in two dimensions. First, it can be used to keep track of awards-in-progress. Second, when getting the awards (especially rank and other awards which need to be on a council advancement report) the sofware will print out the council advancement report. This saves having to hand write the report. It also prints card labels, and packet labels for awards.

When using Pack Master, the new .NET option, available from Troop Master Software, is very usefull. This is because in a pack, there are typically many more people updating the records thanin a Troop. With the .NET option, everyone in the troop with an internet connection can access the pack records, securely. This allows den leaders to enter awards information for their dens, and an awards chair to periodically run the requisite reports.

With Troop Master, you can get away without the .NET option, but it still is very useful in large troops.

I train people on the software in our district, so if you have any questions feel free to contact me directly via e-mail.

YIS,
Vernon L. Palango
Scoutmaster, Troop 131

The best progress is made in those Troops where power and responsibility are really put into the hands of the Patrol Leaders.
-Lord Baden-Powell, Aids to Scoutmastership
vpalango
Life

Postby dd » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:12 pm

Thanks for the information. We have a committee meeting tomorrow morning and I intend to pass it along.
dd
Scout

Postby mrsrayzor » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:17 pm

We, too, use Troopmaster. With a membership of 50 scouts and almost as many s, it's a tremendous help for keeping up with advancements, rosters, e-mail, personal info, running reports for ALL sorts of compiled data. Having the ability to enter activities based on categories such as service proj, camping and fundraising for the group instead of individually. Then being able to pull a report on who participated in what activity, how many service hours a scout or the group has. The possibilities are endless.

We also use the .NET capability. Our Troop Web Site guru set us up an FTP site so the info is not held on one person's computer. We've got only a few who can make updates and a few more with read only access. We decided to limit access due to some of the personal information contained in the database.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone, especially larger groups. I would imagine that Packmaser would be just as helpful for a Pack, even though I never used it.

Good Luck!
D Ray
Committee Chair
mrsrayzor
Tenderfoot

Postby dd » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:50 pm

Thanks for all your information and offering to help. We have been getting this set up and utilizing it for about a month now and have found it very very useful!
dd
Scout

Postby cescout » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:29 pm

Our troop uses it and I am the Master Admin, I think it is the best tool ever, and the DotNet feature witch it great, only problem, is they had a big problem where their servers went down (data was saved), I moved the data to our troop's servers, whenever we go to summer camp, I pack my laptop, download the database and punch in records before we even leave the camp. I stay up late on Friday night with my laptop getting the records finished before we leave and how easy can that be?
CE-SCOUT
cescout
Star

Postby pipestone1991 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:39 pm

cescout wrote:Our troop uses it and I am the Master Admin, I think it is the best tool ever, and the DotNet feature witch it great, only problem, is they had a big problem where their servers went down (data was saved), I moved the data to our troop's servers, whenever we go to summer camp, I pack my laptop, download the database and punch in records before we even leave the camp. I stay up late on Friday night with my laptop getting the records finished before we leave and how easy can that be?

Woah, you do know a lot about pcs, don't you? :)
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

ScoutData

Postby goetzjam » Mon May 19, 2008 8:36 pm

ScoutData.com is another possible feature to try, it even comes with a unit website, for more information please visit, ScoutData.com and tell him that goetzjam sent you!

By the way its free~!!!!
Webmaster of the Scouts of Wynne Websites
Vigil Honor member Quapaw Lodge
goetzjam
Tenderfoot

Postby Chief J » Thu May 22, 2008 9:27 am

I used Packmaster when I was in the Pack (about 5 years ago). We have used Troopmaster in the Troop. I find both products easy to use and very useful in maintaining all records in one easy to use location.

I know there are other products, but cannot speak to them.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Re: Packmaster Software

Postby USMA_Eagle » Tue May 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi-

Saw the discussion thread on Scouting software, and wanted to throw $.02 in. Full disclosure-- I'm biased...

There's a variety of software suites out there to accomplish whatever your unit is looking to do. The troopmaster suite is pretty comprehensive in records-keeping, but as mentioned above it's primarily an administrative tool and a bit short in organizing events and for communications purposes. It does gain some functionality with addons such as DotNet and the mobile add-on. Other services provide troop web pages with calendaring services, and so on, like http://www.troopwebhost.com. Then you have purely event-oriented software such as http://www.wildapricot.com and http://www.bigtent.com.

Some things to consider include who's going to be using the tool (troop adult leaders only? Scouts? Parents? ), who's going to be accessing the tool, and what specifically you want to get out of it.

I'm interning with the non-profit that's developing ScoutSpirit at http://www.scoutspirit.com, which focuses on records, communications, and event-management. It's accessible on a cloud-based platform, with a mobile app in development. We wanted to make something accessible to Scouts and Leaders everywhere. And it's got a free trial! Check it out... the site's got a listing of a lot of scouting and event-management software and serves as a good jumping-off point to find the solution that works for your unit.

Cheers,

Paul
http://www.scoutspirit.com
USMA_Eagle
Tenderfoot

Return to Resources