Scouting in a Youth Treatment Facility

What you need, where to find it, and what you may already have.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Scouting in a Youth Treatment Facility

Postby biglou » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:07 pm

Hey Folks,

It has been a few days since I have posted and I need to find some information. Some of you may know that I am currently working in a Youth Treatment Facility for Drug and Alcohol Abuse. Well, let's say for some this is the last stop before going to a more intensive state run facility.

I was wondering if there was any resources out there to use for the Scouting program in this type of environment. My bosses have found out that I am overtrained in the ways of the force (BSA) and have asked if I was interested in helping out. I told them I would have to do my research and get some good information. Some of the kids would benefit from Scouting and some won't. Has anybody ever done anything like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just so you know, the age range is 14-20 and I would have to say that both Scouting and Venturing would be appropriate depending on the age of the individual boy. Also, the majority of the boys are either African American or Latino inner city kids. Most would just throw them away. I want to help them. Just trying to get my duckies all in a row. Thanks.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Re: Scouting in a Youth Treatment Facility

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Contact your Service center and Discuss wih someone. There is information out there oin this.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:18 pm

I wish it was a closer drive to where you are at. I would love to help a unit like that.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:45 pm

This would fall under the ScoutReach program. Contact your DE and ask for info.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby mt_goodrich » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:18 am

Please keep us posted. Very interested in your progress. I'll try to find out some information too.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:32 pm

We had a unit in the local Youth Detention Facillty for a couple of years run by one of the employees of the unit. It's no longer but I can put you in touch with the DE of that district if you want to email me.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby biglou » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:03 pm

Hey thanks for the suggestions. I have talked with my council's scout executive about that. He was working on getting me some information. Here is the interesting thing to point out. I live in the Bucktail Council territory. My work place is located in the French Creek Council. I can e-mail a buddy of mine at the FCC (We were in the same crew when we went to Philmont and both worked on camp staff). He is a Senior DE there. I think he would help me out to a point. His district is farther north.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:27 am

That would be a good idea to include someone from that council.ALso I believe each council has an exec that has Scoout Reach responsibilities besidetheir District. Check on that with your friend.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby biglou » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:04 pm

I should have mentioned that they have had the process going for some time now. Here is the funny thing. I was at a meeting at Indiana PA last night. I just happened to run into the folks who were in cahoots with the folks that are trying to start a program. They said "Oh, you are the one we keep hearing about". LOL I mentioned that I might be interested after a bit of time and that I did have some concerns as to age appropriateness. They were like well the older boys can be ASMs. I suggested that they look into a Venture Crew for the older ones. :lol: That was not very well recieved. I think the plans are in place right now and it does sound interesting. However, I am going to get a little bit of time under my belt, do my homework, and get used to the job before I say yes. It is a matter of time. But there is a lot of stuff I have to learn first about my job.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby Chief J » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:55 am

You may want to try and contact someone from Greater Pitsburgh Council. I know the former ranger at Camp Twin Echo used to have a partnership where the kids from a nearby facility could come to the camp and work on service projects over the weekends. I believe it did adapt into a venturing crew, but am not positive.

Regards,
chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Return to Resources