Raising Funds

What you need, where to find it, and what you may already have.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Raising Funds

Postby troop2dad » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:24 pm

We are starting a new Venture unit and have been approached by our local state congressman to send him a proposal for grant money to help the initial funding. Has anyone ever gone down this road? The local boro officials and politians are very excited to see new things with our scouts and want to support us. They have expressed how scouting is making a difference and want to help. Thanks for your help.
troop2dad
Second Class

Re: Raising Funds

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:06 pm

I believe I would talk to the Council on this one. I think around here they have someone which expertise in grant writing but of course those $$ are for the council. I think we had one to help get an Explorer post going and for Learning for Life
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby riverwalk » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:13 pm

Eagle makes a great call there. Always be certain about such opportunities. That's why Units do a Unit money earning form (theory), so Council can be sure all is above board. But let us know if that pans out well? You may be on to something.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Chief J » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:07 am

Sounds like sound advice, I would seek the guidance of Council on this one.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby OldGreyBear » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:23 am

It has always been my uderstanding that BAS units can not ask for donations, and a grant proposal is in effect asking for money. Now, councils can ask for money and frequently do. At the very least I would run it by your Council, and don't be surprised if you cannot write the Grant Proposal, on the other hand, if you do , please let us know, I have my pencil sharpened as I have been wrong before
OldGreyBear
Ephesians 6:4
Fathers, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger [do not exasperate them to resentment], but rear them [tenderly] in the training and discipline and the counsel and admonition of the Lord.
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby riverwalk » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Bear makes a good observation. Units don't ask for money, the professionals do that in the Districts. So a Grant therefore might fall into that area?
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby FieldSports » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:12 am

The Unit Money Earning Application states:

7. Will the fund-raising project avoid soliciting money or gifts?
The BSA Rules and Regulations state, “Youth members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors of money for their chartered organizations, for the
local council, or in support of other organizations. Adult and youth members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors of money in support of personal or unit participation in local, national, or international events.”

You could be running afoul of this guideline. Are you soliciting the funds or are they looking to provide funds? Safe route is contact the DE. However, they are always looking for funding sources for the Council. You would probably not see a dime of it.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby biglou » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:17 pm

I just happened to have spoken with my District Director about the grant issue. I mentioned to him about applying for a grant through a local foundation in my community. His response was as a unit, we were not allowed to solicit grants because we are not a 501-C-3 organization. The council has that number but the local unit does not. I hate to say I handed him a means of helping him to keep his job with a possible new fundraising source. But I can also see that it would help the boys in my Council.

I was going to start a thread about fundraising and was curious as to some successful fundraisers that units have had. Our popcorn sales increased this year. My Troop had an "Soup and Sandwich" fundraiser. We had chili, wedding soup, sloppy joes, and Hot Italian Sausage sandwhiches. In one aspect, it was a success because we evaluated the good, bad, and the ugly. The only thing that killed us was the weather. It snowed like a banshee that day. The roads were terrible. There was plenty of advertising but weather was a major factor.

Right now my unit's Fundraiser Coordinator is looking at a couple different fundraisers. We are setting an appointment with Scwann's for information from then. We have our Easter Candy sales coming up and then our community has a huge 4th of July celebration that we do well at.

Please post your successes and failures. I am very curious as probably there are others.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:47 am

I just happened to have spoken with my District Director about the grant issue. I mentioned to him about applying for a grant through a local foundation in my community. His response was as a unit, we were not allowed to solicit grants because we are not a 501-C-3 organization.

If your Charter Org is a non-profit, you can use their number (with the CO's knowlege & consent.)
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Billiken » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:12 am

FieldSports wrote:they are always looking for funding sources for the Council. You would probably not see a dime of it.

BINGO
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby VenturingL » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Our crew does well with fundraisers that don't require them to sell. We do car washes in the summer (in Texas, we can extend into the Fall). We have 2 local businesses that let us use their water from outside spickot. We restock the supply bin as needed. Purely a donation from washee. I budget to make $40/hour, have done as well as almost $50. Lots of work & can get really hot - we keep kids hydrated & sunscreened.

We've also done gift wrapping at holidays at Borders or Barnes & Nobles. Store supplies wrapping paper & tape, we supply labor. Again, purely a donation situation. Borders has more wrapping selections for their customers. Obviously, the closer the dates are to Christmas, the more we make. This year we only made $114 total; 3 years ago we made almost twice that much on Christmas eve alone (worked nearly the entire day).

We also have a sweet deal with the City of Garland - Code Enforcement pays groups such as scouts 50 cents per illegal sign turned in to them. Brief training is involved to know what is or isn't illegally posted, safety concerns, etc. We earned about $200 our first year & almost $300 last year. I hope to increase again this year.

All proceeds are split among those who worked - split is determined after fundraiser per our bylaws. Needs of the Crew Operating Fund are taken into consideration & it gets "a cut" off the top. Money is held in Crew bank account; each member has a page on excel spreadsheet & can "draw" on the money held under their name for equipment, uniforms, & scouting events (campouts, etc.)

All fundraisers are approved by Council.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby biglou » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:34 pm

Wow! I did not even think about using my unit's sponsor 501-C-3 number. That is a way my unit would be able to gain some much needed equipment! Thanks for the thought. That is going to be a great help! :D
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Big Lou, our troop has 2 fundraisers per year. Around the first weekend in June we have a big yard sale. All of the troop AND parents must block some time to help out. It raises $1100 to $1800 each year. The other one we do is sell Christmas wreaths. Sales are in November and the wreaths come around the week after Thanksgiving. That one raises $800 to $1200 each year. Plenty of $$$ for our activities. We don't do popcorn, candy sales, etc. where we are in constant competition with school org.'s fund raisers!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby biglou » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:07 pm

My Troop use to recycle glass and we got a real good price for it. The former Brockway Glass Company was headquarted in Brockway which helped out because most of the leaders worked at the plants or had connections. I know I paid for 4 years of summer camp, a National Scout Jamboree, and Philmont with that. I was just wondering what other Packs/Troops/Crews did that were successful. We have several boys that want to go to different places like I did.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Return to Resources