Insurance on troop trailers for contents

What you need, where to find it, and what you may already have.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Insurance on troop trailers for contents

Postby deweylure » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:24 am

Hello all
I need a little info. Our troop has a trailer and alll gear is kept in it . Where can we get insurance for the contents. I callled my insurance company they have no product fro this type of coverage.

Last week while the trailer was at camp the box containing all the playground equipment for the school was stolen from the church parking lot. Copper gutters have been stolen off the church. Our trailer is parked unattended in the parking lot. WE have used padlocks on the tongue and doors but a bolt cutter can take care of that quickly.

thanks in advance

Deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Re: Insurance on troop trailers for contents

Postby Ursus Snorous Roarus » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:00 am

Yeeesh! In BSA lingo – your gear is ultimately owned by your charter org. So their property insurance policy (and deductible!) covers your gear as well. Don't know if any supplemental insurance exists or not.
But realistically, you need to find a safer place for your gear and/or trailer before something happens. Do you have a local storage business that would be willing to keep your trailer for a write off, in trade for a “good turn project” or at least for a greatly discounted fee? Man, look for some safer alternatives before something catastrophic happens.
Ursus Snorous Roarus
Star

Postby mt_goodrich » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:41 pm

USR's suggestion is very good.

I know of a couple of units around this area who store their trailer at one of the local storage building locations. It is in a secure location....is monitored as to who is going in and out of the location and they local storage place doesn't charge a dime.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby kwildman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:14 pm

hmmmm - i thought that it was a prerequisite for the Scout Master to have a barn large enough to store all the equipment and trailer. :D
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:38 pm

kwildman wrote:hmmmm - i thought that it was a prerequisite for the Scout Master to have a barn large enough to store all the equipment and trailer. :D

Guess who is pricing a large storage building at home to be able to park a trailer???? :)
Mike
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:01 pm

mt....you should turn this into an Eagle Project (or maybe 1/2 of one). Aren't SMs considered a non-profit activity? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby kwildman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:26 am

smtroop168 wrote:mt....you should turn this into an Eagle Project (or maybe 1/2 of one). Aren't SMs considered a non-profit activity? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's only an hour a week! :roll:
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:39 am

You guys crack me up!!!! :lol:

Not sure where the hour a week comes from, but I am thinking I need to take special classes at the community college to be better able to perform my duties as a Scoutmaster....and that is just to deal with the parents. :shock:

My tax guy tells me to save my receipts for items I am not reimbursed for from the troop/charter organization.

However, like most, I do it because I enjoy Scouting and just giving back.
Mike
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Chief J » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:45 am

mt_goodrich wrote:You guys crack me up!!!! :lol:

Not sure where the hour a week comes from, :shock:

That's what you have left over after tending to your duties as Scoutmaster :lol: :lol:

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:46 am

The "hour a week" is one of the Scouting Urban Legends. I have T-shirt that a troop had made and was wearing at summer camp and they gave me one. Some say it's an hour a week per boy and ten hours a week per adult.

We have to toss in some humor every now and then to take time away from some of those who get their shorts in a knot over some of these discussion topics (me included!). My most famous being MB placement on the sash and the 1/2 an Eagle project. Wagion keeps me under control. :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby deweylure » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks for the laughs. Fortunately I am not the SM only an ASM. Anyway here is an update.
Its more like an hour a week for the next 100 years.
I found a broker finally who is able to quote the coverage.

Deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby mt_goodrich » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:35 pm

I'd still recommend parking it at a safer location or check with one of those storage places.
Mike
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby riverwalk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:48 pm

Yep, the "hour a week" is a national funny-haha we have in the Programs. It came from the pitch used in Join Scouting night (upon us again). It was part of what you used to get new Scouters from the parents, by saying "it only takes an hour a week" (meaning your actual formal meeting).

It's sad what a national problem these trailers, AND copper has become!!! Obviously many knuckleheads out there that needed Scouting in thie lives.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby deweylure » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:09 am

knuckleheads is the correct term.

We are also looking for a new location,for the trailer.

It was in the local news not long ago about copper thieves. They took the wire from the local electric train platform ( el train for all the Chicagoans) The only problem it was a live circuit. Easy for the police all 3 died.

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby LSR » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:40 pm

deweylure wrote:......It was in the local news not long ago about copper thieves. They took the wire from the local electric train platform ( el train for all the Chicagoans) The only problem it was a live circuit. Easy for the police all 3 died.

Dewey

Darwin wins again!
LSR
Life

Postby mt_goodrich » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:17 pm

Had a similar incident in Dallas a week or so ago. Guy decided to try and find copper at the top of a electrical pole. He gets zapped twice. It took place during rush hour and the local television station is showing the local fire department trying to get the guy down. It was made harder because his skin was actually melted onto the transformers. Took them about an hour to get him down. All the while you can see him cursing and what not at the fire fighters.

He had third degree burns on over 50% of his body and his clothing was literally blown off of him.

He died later on that day at the hospital.
Mike
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby riverwalk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:04 pm

Yep, watched the story while in my firehouse. It's a national problem sad as it is. One of my units is finalizing plans to build a screened enclosure, to add some security to our trailer. Time will tell. :idea:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Return to Resources