district office headache!

What you need, where to find it, and what you may already have.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: district office headache!

Postby mhjacobson » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:51 pm

The TAG may be good for you for a year, but it is worthless to others who have not seen the scout swim. Most aquatic directors will not accept a tag from a scout from another camp or site, as they have no way of knowing the following:

1) when the test was taken
2) who supervised the test to ensure that it was according to BSA "Safe Swim Defense"
3) whether or not there even was a test as the tags that we commonly use can be purchased at almost any office supply stores

Think of how it is when a scout that you do not know wants to climb and you are not the one to certify him.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:06 am

AquilaNegra2 wrote:There are other factors to consider. We camped at a higher elevation this year. Even though I'm a strong swimmer who grew up swimming around ocean piers, I was surprised that I had a difficult time getting enough air to finish a simple four lap swim test. The Aquatics director made EVERYONE take a swim test before being allowed at the Waterfront or the pool. Smart move, imho. (btw, I saved the tag in case we go back ;-))

I was responding to this post .
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby mhjacobson » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:43 am

And I was responding to your response to the post. We cannot say that a swim tag is good for a year without qualifying wording to clarify the fact that many will not accept a tag from another camp, etc. I have discovered that too many individuals take what is posted on this web site as Gospel.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Previous

Return to Resources