Props needed for Eagle Ceremonies

What you need, where to find it, and what you may already have.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Props needed for Eagle Ceremonies

Postby IndianaScoutmaster » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:52 pm

Can anyone tell me where to find pictures or plans for the Eagle Light Box and the log candle holder that is used for many of the Eagle ceremonies that you find on the web and in books? Thanks
IndianaScoutmaster

Postby 616kayak » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:07 pm

My troop would use a log with holes drilled in it and just put the candles in there.

If you need to you can flatten the bottom of the log. I think there may be some knots in the log that help it stay in place.

We weren’t able to find the log or the cards for our Jan court of honor so my SM and his sons made what is below.

"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby MisterChris » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:28 pm

I realize it's been over a year now, but if you are still looking for plans on how to build an Eagle light Box, I have some.

I've been holding off on posting them on the internet until I can get hold of the box itself to get pictures for the plans.

But if you are willing to take an incomplete set, I'll send you what I have for a start.
Eagle Scout since 1978

Third of 3 Eagle Scout sons of OJ 'Jump' Solaas, promoted to heaven 05/1988

http://www.troopole97.com
MisterChris
Star

Postby MisterChris » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:53 pm

616kayak wrote:My troop would use a log with holes drilled in it and just put the candles in there.

If you need to you can flatten the bottom of the log. I think there may be some knots in the log that help it stay in place.

We weren’t able to find the log or the cards for our Jan court of honor so my SM and his sons made what is below.

Our Troop really needs to redo the Candleabra we have, but here's how ours is constructed:

Materials:
1 log as described below, 6" x 3'
3 bannister uprights
Wood Glue
Stain
Paint

Tools:
Table Saw
Drill, 1" drill bit, 3/4" drill bit
Band Saw
Wood-burning kit
chisel, small bit
Hammer

Get a good-sized log, even diameter with bark still on it, 3' long and about 6" in diameter. as round as you can find.

Run it through a radial arm saw or table saw, cutting off a flat section about 4" wide, about 1" deep. (this is the flat bottom)

Using a band saw, cut into the front face of the board about 6" in on either side (leaving bark on the ends) and cut a flat surface about 2" tall down the front (you will woodburn capital letters 'ON MY HONOR' across the front.)

Go ahead and stencil this text on the flat surface and get it woodburned now - it will be more difficult later. Use the hammer and chisel to gouge these letters permanently into the surface. (Be careful, clamp your work.)

using a hand drill, drill a 1" hole in the top center 1" deep. This will hold a bannister upright. Measure 1' from that center on either side and drill 2 additional 1" holes (for the shorter bannisters)

Feed the 3 bannisters through the table saw - the center one should be cut where the last lazy curve reaches 1" diameter. The other two should be cut at the 1" point of the first lazy curve.

Drill a 3/4" hole in the square end of each bannister strut - these 3 posts will represent the 3 points of the Scout Oath - Duty to God and Country, Duty to Others, and Duty to Self.

drill 3 3/4" holes between and before the 1" holes (these are for 12 candles representing the 12 points of the Scout Law.)

Get some Gorilla glue and fill the 3 1" holes, and stick in your struts.
Make sure you orient your square surfaces to align with the log.

Wait until your glue dries.

Stain the vertical posts.

For an added touch, our troop glued on the Star, Life, and Eagle patches on the square surfaces of the posts, You may wish to simply paint them there. Gluing on the patches was not permanent.

You will need 15 ceremonial candles 3/4" base x 12" height for this candelabra. It should last you for decades.
Eagle Scout since 1978

MisterChris
Star

Re: Props needed for Eagle Ceremonies

Postby MisterChris » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Plans for the Eagle Lightbox (such that they are) can be found at the link below:

http://www.troopole97.com/Lightbox/howto.html

Hope this helps someone.
Eagle Scout since 1978

MisterChris
Star

Return to Resources