Need Idea For First Aid Kit -- Container

What you need, where to find it, and what you may already have.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Need Idea For First Aid Kit -- Container

Postby Billiken » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:20 am

We've got 5 scouts working on 2nd class.

Any ideas of what to use as a container for the personal first aid kit??

I used a plastic fishing line box as a scout (Trilene) but would prefer something that's waterproof/tight.

Thought about Tupperware but would prefer something where the lid can not get separated from the container.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby momma_bee » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:25 am

BigBee used a square box they were selling at the grocery store. The lid has a gasket in it and all four sides have hinges. Yes, the lid comes off completely, but he argued for it because he could 'root around' for whatever he was looking for with out tipping the box by the lid.

I know what he means, it is easy to let things get piled up against the lid and then the weight upended the whole thing.

He did make sure he could get a note pad to fit into his kit, just in case and put a copy of his physical fitness form in as well. I can't remember if he was told to do it, or just did it.
momma_bee
Life

Postby Mrw » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:03 pm

Several of our boys keep their stuff in a ziploc that they carry in a fanny pack or in their backpack. The ziplox keeps it dry and allows it to be reshaped to fit in different sized/shaped packs.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Lynda J » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:20 pm

we use zip locks also. They work great for their personal kits. When we do camporees that require the 10 essentials everything except their extra clothing can be put in it.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby cballman » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:04 pm

well I had a scout come to me with his personal kit in a UNUSED specimen cup that has a lid. It was free and it worked fine. yes he still uses it on hikes.
cballman

Postby Billiken » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:19 am

cballman wrote:well I had a scout come to me with his personal kit in a UNUSED specimen cup that has a lid. It was free and it worked fine. yes he still uses it on hikes.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

:D
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

It's all about needs

Postby riverwalk » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:20 am

In other words...what is the setting or outing and conditions. We've had some of these topics and one just needs to think outside the "first aid box" so to speak. What about a small thermos as an idea...some are more liquid tight than others, but may meet your need.

As a First Aid dude, just consider whether a kit is for personal use, Patrol, Troop, Camporee, home, car, work.....so on. Then consider planned activities and conditions. Some of my tried and proven methods have been for a sub-kit if you will. For highway incidents or at District activities, I've had smaller kits within a kit, and these could be handed off to another responder if there was a complex event. One benefit to having multiple personal kits, if the same styles, is that most any Member could readily find another's kit and put it to work, in a tough spot kinda situation.

I like to see discussion on such things. Remember, IMHO, the best kits are those you create on your own. If "store-bought" kits are used, just remember my points on them.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Mad Dog » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:25 pm

If you are doing this just for the second class requrement a zip lock bag is fine. In fact that is what is recommended in the Scout Handbook. It is waterproof and compact and packs well in a fanny pack. Most of the boys put the rubber gloves in a used film container. If you want something larger try your local 5 & 10 or dollar stores. There are many empty containers that woud serve the purpose.
Mad Dog

ASM - MBC
Mad Dog
Life

Film containers

Postby riverwalk » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:28 am

Good suggestion. The film containers have been used since they were the older metal kind. I still use plastic ones today, for showing how to make a slide out of one. One of my current ones (slide) has pencil, paper, bandaids, coins, tape, and string in it. But the plastic bags that fit in other bags is a great idea as well. These usually sela well, and the contents are visible to the user.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby deweylure » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:14 am

I have scouts who used a glad ware disposible plastic box.Others used ziploc and I like the ziploc personally because it reshapes easily to various packs. Another scout uses a small stuff sack 8'' x10''withy a draw string closure I think it was $5.

As long as were onthe topic a fishing tackle box is a great troop kit. Get one with see thru panels. they have a good latch system an d usually the top and bottom will open.

Deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby 616kayak » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:30 pm

You can buy a small pocket sized tackle box. they are a little smaller than a 4x6 picture and about 2.5 inches deep. They have enough room for the basics. Works pretty well especially since they are waterproof.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:35 pm

Our boys just did that requirement and we found these small cd carrying case type things. They were empty and can hold quite alot of stuff.
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
Troop 1589 Assistant Scoutmaster & First Year Program Director
Detroit Area Council Merit Badge Councilor
EagleBoy62204
Life

CD's

Postby riverwalk » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:22 pm

And the old CD's can be useful as well, haha. Think outside the CDFirst Aid box is what I say, and think survival...

What about as a signal mirror, spade (soft soil), shaving mirror, plate, spacer, cup lid with straw hole, haha, anyway some would be more useful this way than listening to what some of them contain.

Just don't hang 'em from the rearview mirror!
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby jk » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:27 pm

A dry box works great
The boxes are crush proof and water proof.
also try a nalgene bottle.

I hate when kids have thier own first aid kits because then they dont tell an adult when they got injured, so if they get infected you cant tell if the wound is swelling etc.
jk

Postby farmwife » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:06 pm

Though not waterproof, you can pick up one of the old Boy Scout First Aid Kit Boxes on ebay all the time. My older son has one and thinks it's really cool (he's into ante-cues as he likes to call antiques). My younger son asked me to get him one just last week.
farmwife
Tenderfoot

Return to Resources