Scouts staying at Military Bases

What you need, where to find it, and what you may already have.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Scouts staying at Military Bases

Postby DadScout » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:28 pm

The Scout unit I'm involved in is planning a trip to Washington DC next Spring. Does anyone specifically know if Scouts can bunk down on any of the Military installations down there. I know it's been done at a USAF and USN installation in DC but it was pre 9/11 and pre ACLU vs DoD court case so I don't know if it's still allowed. If you know for sure it's allowed and how you set it up please let me know

Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:04 pm
Location: Theodore Roosevelt Council


Postby riverwalk » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:02 am

Until you get better answers, plan to "Be Prepared". Have a contingency plan in place, in case their status changes and they restrict entry.

But Units can often find these opportunities by contacting those in Public Affairs (at the desired Installation). They can explain also if there are any local fees or restrictions.
Bronze Palm
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:45 pm
Location: Circle Ten Council, North Central Texas

Postby RWSmith » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:21 am

I honestly don't know if they still do that; but, I stayed in a barracks at Andrews AFB when my Jamboree Troop stopped off to tour Washington, DC, in '77. I subsequently stayed in the VOQ (Visisting Officers' Quarters) some years later, though I was a low-ranking Senior Airman at the time.

Anyhow, call the base Public Affairs office (301) 981-4424; give them the details and tell them what you want (billeting for your group). You may also want to try Billeting directly at (301) 981-4614. The Base Operator's number is 301-981-1110. Don't underestimate the folks at switchboard; these folks will know how to navigate you to the right office. If you're successful, I expect you'll also need to contact Pass and Vehicle Registration at (301) 981-0689. (Be advised, all four of the above resources are funtions of different squadrons, if you know what I mean.)
Site Admin
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:45 am
Location: Mecklenburg County Council

Postby Scouting179 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:59 am

Contact the Public Affairs Officer of whatever base you're looking. They should at least point you in the right direction.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
Bronze Palm
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:12 pm
Location: Tidewater Council, Virginia Beach, VA

Postby commish3 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:23 pm

Whether or not you will be provided accomodations will vary from facility to facility. Scouting 179 gives good advice. Contact them well in advance of your trip, they will require a writeen request at some point. You must have a National Tour Permit. A back-up plan is a must since security considedrations can change in an instant.

Return to Resources

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest