Disappointment

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Disappointment

Postby tlb05fl » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:06 pm

:(

Looking for some ideas to help my son overcome something that happened to him today at summer camp. He is a very trusting kid and left his backback on his cot while he went to take his swim test. Yes, the wallet with his spending money was in the backpack. Well....you know what comes next. His money was stolen, wallet put back in his backpack.

I told him that there's no denying that either another Scout or someone associated with Scouting stole his money but that he should not let that bother him and ruin his week. He is a Life Scout and has been to this camp like...4 times. I replaced the money for him.

I'm very disappointed this happened to him. I told him to keep his wallet locked up in his trunk when he decides not to carry it with him.

Thanks for listening. I just needed to vent.

Lorene
tlb05fl
Scout

Re: Disappointment

Postby FrankJ » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:01 pm

I feel your pain. Unfortunately if it was in his tent, it was probably some one in his troop. I hope he doesn't let it spoil his week. It can be hard.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Quailman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:11 am

FrankJ wrote:Unfortunately if it was in his tent, it was probably some one in his troop.

Not necessarily. In fact, since the whole troop probably went for the swim test together, someone who observed them leaving would be my guess.

We've never had a confirmed theft (there have been missing items that the boys weren't sure where they left them or how much money was remaining by Thursday), but we've always told boys to lock their valuables in their foot lockers.

And sorry, but I have no suggestions for how to help your son overcome this. :|
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:34 am

happens to us all. I was at Schiff Reservation for national Camp school aquatics in 1970. I had a new minolta camera and when we left the lake at noon for lunch I left it in my locker at the lake. When I returned from lunch it was gone. Lots of pictures plus the camera never to be seen again. Look at the National Jamboree. constant worry about leaving anything of value in our tents. We lost t shirts patches etc. from our staff tents. Many youth were sent home when caught. At the Summit we will not have that option of locking anything up so Not sure what i will do there.Except anything of value in my day pack and carry it all the time.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mrw » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:01 pm

Quailman wrote:
FrankJ wrote:Unfortunately if it was in his tent, it was probably some one in his troop.

Not necessarily. In fact, since the whole troop probably went for the swim test together, someone who observed them leaving would be my guess.

We've never had a confirmed theft (there have been missing items that the boys weren't sure where they left them or how much money was remaining by Thursday), but we've always told boys to lock their valuables in their foot lockers.

You guys all use footlockers for a week at summer camp? That is certainly packing far heavier than our guys do!

We offer to have all the kids keep their money in a lockbox held by the SM. They can ask each morning for access for what they will need.

We have had stuff go missing from the pool area before, but never much as they do not carry much.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby FrankJ » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:12 pm

I guess there are two sides of dealing with this.

The first one is the emotional side. Mostly letting him vent without offering much advice is the best course. You kinda have to let the emotions run there course. After that don't let this define his stay at camp.

The other is the mitigation. This where you discuss better ways of securing you stuff. There is also the possibility he put the money some where else. (Not suggesting at all that this is the case, but I have seen it happen more than once.) But it is not unreasonable to expect something in a pack on your cot to be safe.

We use a little Conti (brand name) plastic foot locker. They are inexpensive & fit underneath the cots.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby jr56 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Yup, unfortunately it happens. Was out at Philmont in base camp. Left a flashlight laying on my cot so I could pick it up when returning to the tent. Tent flap was closed. When I got back from the campfire, the flashlight was gone.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:22 pm

For camp security, there is always the option of putting a padlock on the tent zipper, and a lock-box inside.

Anyone who really wants to get in can break the zipper or cut the tent fabric, but the damage will be obvious and it will slow them down a bit.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:57 am

Over 75% of kids in our camp use foot lockers. They do a lot of good things like keep everything dry even if a storm get real bad and you are able to lock it up if you want to. Everything in stored under your bunk and not all over the floor of the tent or all over the cot.

Mrw wrote:
Quailman wrote:

You guys all use footlockers for a week at summer camp? That is certainly packing far heavier than our guys do!

We offer to have all the kids keep their money in a lockbox held by the SM. They can ask each morning for access for what they will need.

We have had stuff go missing from the pool area before, but never much as they do not carry much.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby kwildman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:14 am

locking a zipper wont secure anything. A very common trick used by airport baggage handlers is to take a pen and jam it into the zipper and then use the pen to separate the zipper to access the contents. When you are done you take the locked zipper pulls and and run them together back across the separated zipper and it will reseal and you wont be able to tell anyone was inside.

Your best bet for securing money, or other valuables is to use a large lock box or secure the valuables in a vehicle.

It sucks that you cant trust all scouts to live up to the scout oath and law. However, i would venture a guess that these types of things happen less frequently at Boy Scout summer camps than at other types of youth camps.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Went to camp in the Texas Hill Country last week. The unfortunate incident occured on the last day, while boys were watching the aquafest (races, SM belly flop competition, etc.) at the pool. While everyone was watching the pool, someone, perhaps two someones, rilfed through their belongings on the bench behind them, stealing cash and wallets.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby ScoutMomGWRC » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:48 pm

After reading this thread, I really want to get my son a foot locker for camp.

Should I make a new thread or can someone move this post?

I was wondering if footlockers need to be carried in or if there are wheels on them?
I also wondered if anyone had suggestions or links to what it is I am looking for exactly?

Thank you.
ScoutMomGWRC
First Class

Postby Quailman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:00 pm

Several boys in our troop brought these. They have wheels on one end, but they're really only useful on a flat floor, not rolling from the troop trailer to your tent. That's what buddies are for. You both carry yours, then you both carry his.

They're stackable in the trailer, and they fit under this cot, or similar. That really helps the tent look neater.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby ScoutMomGWRC » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:46 pm

Awesome!
Thanks!
ScoutMomGWRC
First Class

Postby ronin718 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:14 am

The Sterilite boxes on the Wal-Mart site were fairly popular with the NCAC Jambo contingent as they fit under the standard cot and could be secured with a standard key or combo lock.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby mt_goodrich » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:32 pm

Our boys use the Contigo footlockers found at Walmart and Academy Sports (not located in all of United States). About $30.00.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby jjhubbard » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:51 am

Just found this thread and I am looking to be proactive with my son's visits to winter and summer camp. For those that bought the Contico storage lockers are they pretty sturdy? I may get one for my son and myself to help keep things dry and harder to steal but wanted to hear from someone that has bought one and field tested it. If it ends up being pretty flimsy then I don't really see the point. We just went to our first summer camp a few months ago so hopefully we can get several years use out of something like this.

First post by the way. Been lurking for a while!

Justin
jjhubbard
Scout

Postby FrankJ » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:51 pm

I find the Contico storage locker ideal for summer camp. They are a good compromise between strength, economy & weight. While it will not survive a determined effort for entry it has plenty security for summer camp. My son's has been through 10-12 summer camps.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby cballman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:23 pm

I have three of the contico footlockers. I have been using the same one for twelve years. My son and daughters have not been used that much. Even though they worked at our council camp off and on for about 5 years also. So in my humble opinion and testing yes they are worth every penny that you pay for them. If it a wet week the the items will have a damp feel to them as they are not completly waterproof. They have vent holes in the handles. Clothes are not wet, just damp. Water will not get in them from the top. Like I said I have three in the family and I recommend them highly to all. And yes they are lockable.

Charlie
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby mt_goodrich » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:04 pm

For summer camp, I've used a large Pelican case. Is it heavy? Yep. But since it is Summer Camp, all equipment is taken directly to the campsite and weight is not an issue. Doubles as a night stand.

That being said, most, if not all, of our boys use the Contico and those work out great.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Next

Return to Summer Camp