Do You "Mandate" Certain MBs at Camp?

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Do You "Mandate" Certain MBs at Camp?

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Fri May 06, 2011 2:35 am

I require first year summer-campers to take Swimming MB, no arguing unless they absolutely cannot swim. If not then they sign up for lessons at camp.

The reason I do this is that 1. it's Eagle required and that gets one out of the way, and 2. I've never run across an instructor who can/will teach to BSA requirements outside of camp. Swimming is one of those MB's that instills a deep feeling of real accomplishment when successfully completed.

Does anyone else do this with Swimming or any other MB?

Thoughts?

RR
Last edited by RWSmith on Sat May 07, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Awarded 1-Year "Sticky" Status
Boys can save lives when Scouting first saves them.
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Re: Do You "Mandate" Certain MB's?

Postby wagionvigil » Fri May 06, 2011 5:51 am

swimming is part of our first year camper program at our camp
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Fri May 06, 2011 6:58 am

Reasonable Rascal wrote:I require first year summer-campers to take Swimming MB, no arguing unless they absolutely cannot swim. If not then they sign up for lessons at camp.

The reason I do this is that 1. it's Eagle required and that gets one out of the way, and 2. I've never run across an instructor who can/will teach to BSA requirements outside of camp. Swimming is one of those MB's that instills a deep feeling of real accomplishment when successfully completed.

Does anyone else do this with Swimming or any other MB?

Thoughts?

RR

I don't "require" scouts to take any MBs. Swimming is usually in most 1st year programs and my scouts have done the badge there. We have a cerified Swimming/Lifesaving MBC in our troop who is a High/Middle SchoolSwimming Instructor.

Swimming MB is not Eagle Required as you can do Hiking and/or Cycling to meet the Eagle requirements.

I do mandate Climbing MB. :wink:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ronin718 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 am

smtroop168 wrote:I do mandate Climbing MB. :wink:

Sucking up to WV will not increase your standing on the forum... :lol: :lol: :lol:
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:05 am

ronin718 wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:I do mandate Climbing MB. :wink:

Sucking up to WV will not increase your standing on the forum... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got to get the Climbing partials he hands out finished somewhere. :P
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Billiken » Fri May 06, 2011 10:35 am

wagionvigil wrote:swimming is part of our first year camper program at our camp

Describes our troop too.

In addition, a week or two before camp we have a Swimming MB "practice session" at our community pool where the Scouts work on the inflating pants and shirt requirement. Makes doing it in the class at camp much less difficult.

We also strongly recommend Env. Science be taken in the second year at camp.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Fibonacci » Fri May 06, 2011 11:23 am

We don't mandate any specific merit badges for anyone. We strongly encourage first year Scouts to take the Scout Skills program (whatever it's called) but none of these programs include Swimming MB at the camps our troop attends.

I can't see how requiring a Scout to take a particular class is a beneficial thing. Isn't that adding to the requirements?

One of our troop favorite Scouts (yes, you know there are favorites) is very uncomfortable around water. He completed the rank requirements but definitely not the Swimming MB. Hiking MB was a breeze for him. He went on one or two 50 Milers every summer, executed a challenging and worthy Eagle Project, and experienced fabulous personal growth in his term as SPL. If someone had required him to take Swimming MB, he might have dropped out of Scouts.
Fibonacci
Life

Postby FrankJ » Fri May 06, 2011 1:21 pm

I know of one troop were Railroading use to be a required badge.

I lost the tongue in keep icon again. Besides it was more of a tradition than a requirement.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri May 06, 2011 1:40 pm

There is some anecdote about swimming being the only skill that save your own life
but I have never made it mine to memorize.

Help please.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby Billiken » Fri May 06, 2011 2:47 pm

ThunderingWind wrote:There is some anecdote about swimming being the only skill that save your own life but I have never made it mine to memorize.

Help please.

I always heard that swimming is the only sport that can save your life.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Billiken wrote:
ThunderingWind wrote:There is some anecdote about swimming being the only skill that save your own life but I have never made it mine to memorize.

Help please.

I always heard that swimming is the only sport that can save your life.

What about Fencing, Archery or Rifle Shooting? Especially if a bear is coming after you. Skiing too if it's a Polar Bear. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Fri May 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Perhaps I should reword this: I "require" in the sense that I tell them they are signed up for it unless there is an overriding reason not to. Swimming is not a part of the Trail Begins (first year camper) program here, and in fact has never been a part of the first year program for any camp I have attended as an adult, and that's 5 different states. There is a reason the 80 available slots for Swimming fill up before May 1: unless you are fortunate enough to have a certified counselor (we aren't) it's either summer camp or drive 100+ miles each way for at least 2-3 sessions to find one.

I realize there are alternatives for Swimming but we live in the Mojave desert. I don't discourage either Hiking or Cycling but activity on that level can be life-threatening here much of the year for those who are not in very good physical condition. May 6 and it is 102 degrees here already. I have seen 2 boys who are native to this area complete Cycling. Non-native means years before you are effectively acclimated to the temps around here and can function strenuously at the level required.

Had it not been Scouting I'd likely have never learned to swim well enough to do more than puddle around. But neither do I tell the boys that it's either Swimming or nothing. I had a boy last year who could not swim, and another who got hypothermic during his swim test and was basically discouraged from trying again (per Staff). The difference is between a mountain stream/dammed lake (Camp Hi-Sierra) and a pool such as Geronimo offers. Likewise I have had boys struggle to make it, requiring a 2nd year attempt because of altitude changes. We sit at 550', and camp is at 5,600' this year (6,200 last). Another boy couldn't get enough wind in his lungs to get blue swimmer so he could finish his Lifesaving.

Last but not least we have a trailer full of canoes we don't use because I want the requisite safety measures in place first. The last SM esqued life jackets actually being worn, safe swim defense and other measures regularly and I cringed mightily when the boys went "cliff diving" off a rocky island into what looked to be deep enough water (they said). When I took over I said no canoeing until we had a safety plan and boys who knew how to swim, proper life jackets, and adults who were properly trained. We now have 2 adults certified in paddlecraft safety as well as 4 for safe swim defense.

RR
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Reasonable Rascal wrote:Perhaps I should reword this: I "require" in the sense that I tell them they are signed up for it unless there is an overriding reason not to. Swimming is not a part of the Trail Begins (first year camper) program here, and in fact has never been a part of the first year program for any camp I have attended as an adult, and that's 5 different states. There is a reason the 80 available slots for Swimming fill up before May 1: unless you are fortunate enough to have a certified counselor (we aren't) it's either summer camp or drive 100+ miles each way for at least 2-3 sessions to find one.

Interesting...its a part of EVERY camp we've been to here in PA and MD. Are there no local pools that you could get one of the lifeguards signed up as a MBC? Is your council advancement committee helping...its part of their job?

I guess you don't have to worry about Polar Bears though. :)
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Fri May 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Believe it or not the nearest Scout camp - Levi Levi, near Kingman, AZ - has NO aquatics program. None, zero, nada, zilch. They don't even have a mud puddle unless you count what forms around the water hydrant.

The camp fees are cheap - $65 and you supply 100% of your own food - but we bypass the camp if for no other reason than there are no aquatics.

We have made inquiries about local counselors but have not been successful. I believe the BSA requires certain hoops to be jumped through for aquatics certification so that is doubtless a part of the reluctance.

RR
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby bnelso » Fri May 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Reasonable Rascal wrote:We have made inquiries about local counselors but have not been successful. I believe the BSA requires certain hoops to be jumped through for aquatics certification so that is doubtless a part of the reluctance.

RR

According to the merit badge counselor application form from Grand Canyon Council, you only need current Safe Swim Defense and CPR certification is required to be a MB counselor for swimming and lifesaving. See:
http://grandcanyonbsa.org/openrosters/d ... x?ID=13520

Similar for LVAC:
http://www.doubleknot.com/openrosters/D ... 0&id=77983

Camp Raymond in Flagstaff, AZ has an aquatics program, and now a new chow hall! No more eating in the rain!

YiS,
Bill
bnelso
First Class

Re: Do You "Mandate" Certain MBs at Camp?

Postby biglou » Tue May 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Nope. I don't do that. The Scouts ask which ones they should take and either myself or one of the ASMs give them advice on which ones to take. They usually listen. :lol:
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby lambeausam » Wed May 11, 2011 6:33 am

The camp we attend has pre-registration for merit badges. I had fun looking at the schedule requests that the boys in our troop have turned in. It's neat seeing such a wide range of interest. Our troop strongly encourages swimming the first year, but only if that scout swims proficiently. My oldest son is excited to take the Horsemanship MB this year, while my middle guy jumped up and down when he found out he had slots for both Astronomy and Space Exploration. The youngest is a first year guy that is taking some of the nature-based badges.
lambeausam
Life

Postby ronin718 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:08 am

OFF TOPIC... There is something seriously wrong with having an individual hailing from Chicago with a handle containing the word Lambeau in it. It's just not right!!! :P :P :P
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby lambeausam » Thu May 12, 2011 6:31 am

ronin718 wrote:OFF TOPIC... There is something seriously wrong with having an individual hailing from Chicago with a handle containing the word Lambeau in it. It's just not right!!! :P :P :P

I wear my green and gold proudly! Yes, we take some heat, but having the Lombardi Trophy back in Green Bay really cool things down!

Sam
lambeausam
Life

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sat May 14, 2011 7:44 am

biglou wrote:Nope. I don't do that. The Scouts ask which ones they should take and either myself or one of the ASMs give them advice on which ones to take. They usually listen. :lol:

Same here. I start of pointing out to them that because of the facilities some MBs are more often offered at summer camp and suggest that they look at 1-2 Eagle required ones and a couple of fun ones. Then I give my advise on their selections. As BigLou mentioned, they usually listen.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Next

Return to Summer Camp