The Annual Summer Camp Thread CY 2011

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

The Annual Summer Camp Thread CY 2011

Postby Billiken » Thu May 05, 2011 9:59 am

*******************************>TIME TO UPDATE FOR 2011 <*******************************

For the 25th consective year our troop will be heading to Seven Ranges Scout Reservation.
(Buckeye Council, located south of Kensington, OH)

Right now we've got 23 Scouts fully paid.

I hope everyone has GREAT week at whatever camp you're attending.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Re: The Annual Summer Camp Thread CY 2011

Postby FrankJ » Thu May 05, 2011 10:29 am

We are going to Comer in North East AL. A new one for us, but it looks neat. We like our council camp (Woodruff), but we also like to try different camps for the variety of experiences.

Two of our recent troop members, now turned ASM will be camp leaders. Will be interesting to see how they like the other side of the fence. And yes they are trained for their position.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ronin718 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:16 am

We're doing Camp Marriott at Goshen Scout Reservation. Or maybe I should say we're taking over. We've got over 90 boys signed up. Gonna be a fun time in the old town...
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 pm

I was not able to get off work to go with my troop to summer camp, so I signed up for a different week, and will help with the camp commissioner staff instead. Have to get out to summer camp somehow.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby biglou » Thu May 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Last year, Troop 40 took 22 Scouts to Camp Mountain Run. This year, we are taking 27 Scouts from our Troop plus another from a Troop in Washington state. His parents are from the area and his cousin is in our Troop. This is the most that my Troop has taken in 30 plus years or more!
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:42 pm

Rodney North East MD 16 scouts
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Thu May 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Headed to Worth Ranch which is west of Fort Worth, Texas. Will be the third year in a row. Nice, small camp with a great staff. I usually end up teaching a merit badge, which is fun for me.

We'll have a nice size group this year, 15 boys and five adults.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Fri May 06, 2011 1:45 am

Our troop is scheduled for 8 days at Camp Geronimo by Payson, AZ. This will be our 3rd year there out of 4. Excellent camp, first class medical support, very good MB program as well as the older Scout adventure program. Geronimo is one of those camps that you don't mind going back to because you can always find something you haven't done before. And the weather at 5,600' sure beats anything found at 550' in AZ/NV come July.

Right now we have places held for 16 boys, though it is quite possible we'll lose a couple due to job relocation. Last year was 15 boys to Camp Hi-Sierra by Long Barn, CA. Nice though small it was an interesting break but not worth nearly 600 miles each way more than once.

For those interested another camp I highly recommend is Camp Cayuna by Cross Lake, MN. Commissary service rather than dining hall but who doesn't enjoy fresh northern or walleye for supper? They even treated us to a steak dinner with all the extras just for showing up with 100% of the troop in full uniform for Sunday evening flags, and a catered pizza luncheon for bringing better than 90% of the registered members to camp.

RR
Boys can save lives when Scouting first saves them.
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby kwildman » Fri May 06, 2011 8:38 am

Back to Chief Logan Reservation. The friendliest camp on earth.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Reasonable Rascal

I hope you enjoy Camp Geronimo! My favorite menories are Camp Site 29 and earning "I did enough." No SC this year :(
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Fri May 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Site 29 meets the "uphill both ways" requirement I believe. Besides being literally just over 1/2 mile from the dining hall and what, maybe 250' elevation gain?

RR
Boys can save lives when Scouting first saves them.
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon May 09, 2011 7:15 am

Reasonable Rascal wrote:Site 29 meets the "uphill both ways" requirement I believe. Besides being literally just over 1/2 mile from the dining hall and what, maybe 250' elevation gain?

RR

From our water front at Camp Olmsted to the mess hall which is about 3/8 of a mile the elevation change is around 1000 feet. They give out t-shirts every year to the boys that make it to polar bear swim all 5 days.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Mon May 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Headed back to Camp Tri-Mount with 22 out of 25 registered boys. Can't wait. I too have to find some reason to get back there EVERY YEAR. My wife thinks I'm nuts! But when she comes up for the closing campfire, which is on the shore of KAYBE Lake, that reflects 3 of the Catskill high-peaks (hence the name: Tri-Mount), she "melts!!!"
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby UtahScoutmaster » Thu May 12, 2011 11:35 pm

We are taking 7 Scouts to Camp Loll just outside of Yellowstone Idaho, I understand it is amazingly beautiful there. (It will be me and my two sons first time at this camp.) I hear its a bit of a cold lake there, but I hear it is a phenomenal cam and will be fun!

On another note, my older son's old troop has invited him to attend Camp Meriwether this year. It is located on the Oregon Coast just outside Tillamook Oregon. I went hear as a kid & it too should be a fun and productive for my son!
UtahScoutmaster
Tenderfoot

Return to Summer Camp