The Annual Summer Camp Thread - CY 2010

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

The Annual Summer Camp Thread - CY 2010

Postby Billiken » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:00 pm

*******************************>TIME TO UPDATE FOR 2010 <*******************************

For the 24th consective year our troop will be heading to Seven Ranges Scout Reservation.
(Buckeye Council, located south of Kensington, OH)

Three years ago when I became SM, we took five boys to summer camp.
Right now we've got 19 Scouts with paid deposits and we're getting 9, possibly 10 WEBELOS when they cross over on March 16th.

We are in the process of buying more camping equipment (a pleasant problem to have).
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Re: The Annual Summer camp Thread

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Billiken wrote:*******************************>TIME TO UPDATE FOR 2010 <*******************************

For the 24th consective year our troop will be heading to Seven Ranges Scout Reservation.

Right now we've got 19 Scouts with paid deposits and we're getting 9, possibly 10 WEBELOS when they cross over on March 16th.

We are in the process of buying more camping equipment (a pleasant problem to have).

Wow 24 years in a row....we try to move around so that the scouts get to experience different areas . There are a ton of camps within 2 hours of us.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:53 am

24 years....must be a good camp. There is a camp in Oklahoma, Camp Hale, that I hear is a wonderful camp....it is able to do a lot of things other camps can't because of funding from a trust fund set up by a wealthy donor. Their counselors are all college students that are studying in the area that they are counselors in. There are troops from my district that have gone three years in a row now and plan to go this year.

It will be a busy summer for me. In June, we'll go back to Worth Ranch. I am only taking one older boy this year...and only reason is because his dad and younger brother will be going. Rest of the boys are new/younger and this will be their first summer camp....a total of about ten boys this year.

Then in August, it is off to Philmont with the older boys.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:06 pm

smtroop168 wrote:Wow 24 years in a row....we try to move around so that the scouts get to experience different areas . There are a ton of camps within 2 hours of us.

We have 4 BSA camps within 2 hrs.

Over the years a lot of our Scouts have done second weeks of summer camp at other facilities.
They keep telling us that they want to maintain Seven Ranges as our primary location/week of camp.
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Heading back to EBSR (Ed Bryant Scout Reservation) in central Wisconsin for summer camp the last week of June
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby ronin718 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 am

We're heading back to Goshen Scout Reservation near Lexington, VA. Some of the guys are a little nervous due to the E.coli event from two years ago which took down over 20 of our boys, but for the most part it's good. The adults are happy to be going back to a patrol-cooking environment.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby Quailman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:51 pm

My troop is going to Camp Orr in Arkansas. I've heard some pretty good things about it.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:07 pm

Billiken wrote:*******************************>TIME TO UPDATE FOR 2010 <*******************************

Mark this Troop 15's 24th year too at 7R...every year it's been open! I'm not going down again this year (gotta make money for college) but I'll visit. I may go down to *cough* visit friends at the end of each week also.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby LSR » Sun May 02, 2010 9:11 pm

pipestone1991 wrote:Mark this Troop 15's 24th year too at 7R...every year it's been open! I'm not going down again this year (gotta make money for college) but I'll visit. I may go down to *cough* visit friends at the end of each week also.

Former schoolteacher/college recruiter - Have you/your family filed your FAFSA yet? If not, do so RIGHT NOW! www.fafsa.ed.gov (I'm assuming you are a senior. If not, you can't do the FAFSA ahead.)
LSR
Life

Postby jr56 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Ed Bryant Scout Reservation in Wisconsin
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:34 pm

LSR wrote:
pipestone1991 wrote:Mark this Troop 15's 24th year too at 7R...every year it's been open! I'm not going down again this year (gotta make money for college) but I'll visit. I may go down to *cough* visit friends at the end of each week also.

Former schoolteacher/college recruiter - Have you/your family filed your FAFSA yet? If not, do so RIGHT NOW! http://www.fafsa.ed.gov (I'm assuming you are a senior. If not, you can't do the FAFSA ahead.)

FAFSA filled out early Febuary to meet Walsh University's Febeuary 15th deadline. haha. Covered a little less than half of what I need. I'm praying I get some of the scholarships I applied for.
Last edited by pipestone1991 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Sun May 09, 2010 7:55 pm

pipestone1991 wrote:Mark this is Troop 15's 24th year too at 7R...every year it's been open! I'm not going down again this year (gotta make money for college) but I'll visit. I may go down to *cough* visit friends at the end of each week also.

Excellent.

FWIW, I get my 5th year Pipestone at the end of week 1 this year.
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby LSR » Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 pm

pipestone1991 wrote:
LSR wrote:

Former schoolteacher/college recruiter - Have you/your family filed your FAFSA yet? If not, do so RIGHT NOW! http://www.fafsa.ed.gov (I'm assuming you are a senior. If not, you can't do the FAFSA ahead.)

FAFSA filled out early Febuary to meet Ohio University's Febeuary 15th deadline. haha. Covered a little less than half of what I need. I'm praying I get some of the scholarships I applied for.

Get a copy of Free $ for College for Dummies, My Troop has a copy as does the Venturing crew. One of my Eagles is making a slight profit going to school. Don't let the "Dummies" title throw you off, it's a great guide. What are you majoring in? ROTC a possibility?
LSR
Life

Postby pipestone1991 » Sat May 29, 2010 4:08 pm

LSR wrote:
Get a copy of Free $ for College for Dummies, My Troop has a copy as does the Venturing crew. One of my Eagles is making a slight profit going to school. Don't let the "Dummies" title throw you off, it's a great guide. What are you majoring in? ROTC a possibility?

I have a approx. 2/3s ride to Walsh. I'll be able to apply for nursing scholarships to defray another 5000$ or so for soph year.
Last edited by pipestone1991 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Re: The Annual Summer Camp Thread - CY 2010

Postby Billiken » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Leave for summer camp at Seven Ranges on Sunday morning.
For the week of June 20-26 I will be "off the grid" (internet, cell phone).
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
:D
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:12 am

Off to Camp Rodney...back in a week...stay out of trouble everyone.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Just returned from Worth Ranch, which is operated by the Longhorn Council. It was hot, it was dusty, and the boys had a GREAT TIME!!! To be honest, I did too. I taught the Radio Merit Badge this week. Had about ten boys total earn the badge.

Worth Ranch isn't flashy and isn't big....but where it lacks in those areas, it sure makes up for it in other. Staff is top notch and there is a spirit there I haven't found in the eight or so other summers camps I have been to.

Now...I can concentrate on Philmont, which is in five weeks.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Just got home from Seven Ranges with 21 Scouts.

Fantastic SPL (had been at our council NYLT the week before) make life at camp so much less stressful.

pipestone1991:
My son and I got out 5th yr Pipestones.
He also completed Small Boat Sailing, Carpentry, and Tracking.
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Just got back from a week at EBSR in Wisconsin. Got a little wet, but had a great time. Boys had a successful summer camp session.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:33 pm

Two crews coming off the trail today at Philmont. Troop is going to Rainey Mountain in NE Ga next week.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Next

Return to Summer Camp